AT Section Hike - Risk

  • Risk
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 28 1:38 PM
      I am just back from a 75 mile hike from Clingman's Dome in the Smoky
      Mountains to Hot Springs, NC. It was a good trip, in which my hammock
      came in very handy. I wish I could have used it more the the national
      park!

      A report with almost 70 photos is here:

      http://www.imrisk.com/atsmokeynorth/atsmokeynorth.htm

      Risk
    • zippydooda
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 28 3:28 PM
        Risk, Thanks for posting.

        I am clueless about the AT so I had a question. Why did you sleep in
        the shelters those first two nights instead of outside in your
        hammock?

        Sorry about the blister. Hope you get the boots worked out. And I
        hope the noise in the truck is nothing.

        The guide drives the same car I do (Honda Element), but mine is
        orange. Not that that is relevant at all...

        Bill in Houston

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 28 5:40 PM
          zippydooda wrote:

          >Risk, Thanks for posting.
          >
          >I am clueless about the AT so I had a question. Why did you sleep in
          >the shelters those first two nights instead of outside in your
          >hammock?
          >
          >Sorry about the blister. Hope you get the boots worked out. And I
          >hope the noise in the truck is nothing.
          >
          >The guide drives the same car I do (Honda Element), but mine is
          >orange. Not that that is relevant at all...
          >
          >Bill in Houston
          >

          >--- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Risk" <ra1@i...> wrote:
          >

          >>I am just back from a 75 mile hike from Clingman's Dome in the
          >>

          >Smoky
          >

          >>Mountains to Hot Springs, NC. It was a good trip, in which my
          >>

          >hammock
          >

          >>came in very handy. I wish I could have used it more the the
          >>

          >national
          >

          >>park!
          >>
          >>A report with almost 70 photos is here:
          >>
          >>http://www.imrisk.com/atsmokeynorth/atsmokeynorth.htm
          >>
          >>Risk

          The Smoky Mountains have some strange restrictions that are not present
          anywhere else on the trail. If not in the middle of a thru-hike, each
          camping spot must be reserved ahead and the registration carried with
          the hiker. It is free, but still a hassle. In addition, normally the
          hiker is not allowed to camp outside the shelter if the camping spot is
          a shelter. Along the AT, there are almost no stopping spots that are
          not shelters.

          So, long story, is that I had to stay at and in the shelter the first
          three nights.

          As for the boots... The right one gave me no problem. I will have to
          let my left heel heal up before I know if the left one can be used by me.

          Risk
        • dlfrost_1
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 28 7:00 PM
            > The Smoky Mountains have some strange restrictions that are not
            present
            > anywhere else on the trail. If not in the middle of a thru-hike,
            each
            > camping spot must be reserved ahead and the registration carried
            with
            > the hiker. It is free, but still a hassle. In addition, normally
            the
            > hiker is not allowed to camp outside the shelter if the camping
            spot is
            > a shelter. Along the AT, there are almost no stopping spots that
            are
            > not shelters.
            >
            > So, long story, is that I had to stay at and in the shelter the
            first
            > three nights.
            >
            > As for the boots... The right one gave me no problem. I will have
            > let my left heel heal up before I know if the left one can be used
            by me.

            > Risk

            My sympathies on both the boots and the shelters. I did a two day
            loop trip from Elkmont (Smokies) to Silers Bald Shelter and back to
            test some new boots. Although they didn't beat the bottoms of my
            feet into junk like the last pair, they went to town on my toes. (I
            might be able to correct the problem.)

            As for the shelters: Ye gods I'm not doing that again. I'll be
            camping in the trees somewhere nearby where I can have access to the
            spring, privy and cable hang, but not have to suffer the miseries of
            the ground-dwellers. Hammock camping has spoilt me with comfort.

            (AT Note: There's a great hammocking spot just a few feet west of
            the Double Springs Gap shelter, located in small grove of hemlocks.
            The flat space adjacent to the trail probably attracts tent campers,
            but if you go downhill to the south out of sight there are more
            hemlocks on the slope.)

            Doug Frost
          • zippydooda
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 30 8:13 AM
              Okay, that is about what I had figured. Interesting. Thanks.

              Bill in Houston