Re: 3/32" Hammock Hanging Rope?

    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 20 2:25 PM
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Garlington"
      > <rgarling@y...> wrote:
      > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Oborn"
      > > <polecatpop@y...> wrote:
      > > > To engineer the straps/ropes how big of a safety factor do you
      > > plan
      > > > on?
      > >
      > > As a practical example: Hennessey uses line with a breaking
      > > strength from about 1600 to 1800 pounds depending on the model.
      If
      > > the webbing used by the Speerians really is 800 pound breaking
      > > strength, and they are not reporting problems then you can see
      that
      > > Tom has built in a large safety factor.
      > >

      > Ray, you overlooked something in your comparison. The Hennessy,
      with
      > its intergal ridgeline, generally puts more tension on the hammock
      > support ropes/straps because it typically is hung so that the
      hammock
      > support ropes/straps are more horizontally than a Speer hammock.
      > Sometimes, this difference in tension is quite severe and it is not
      > obvious that Hennessy is using a greater safety margin. This extra
      > tension would also carry over to the other discussion concerning
      tree
      > damage. (While the internal ridgeline does help in getting a
      > consistant 'hang', it is not without its drawbacks.)
      >
      > Youngblood

      Since this comes up from time to time, I decided to upload a MSExcel
      spreadsheet of mine that shows the results of the analysis I did of
      the forces associated with using an integral ridgeline. I hope it
      will clear up the point I was trying to make. Basically without an
      integral (or tensioned) ridgeline the forces are just Force 1... I
      try to hang my homemade versions of the Speer Hammock such that Angle
      1 is at 30 degrees or so. With the Hennessy Hammocks, Angle 1 is
      typically less (my guess is somewhere around 15 to 30 degrees?)...
      depending on how taut you tie the hammock. This means that Force 1
      might be higher when using hammocks with an intergral ridgeline and
      that the tension on that ridgeline can sometimes exceed the tension
      on the hammock ropes (ie, Force 3 exceeds Force 1 on my
      spreadsheet). My thinking is that the ridgeline cord may be the
      first thing to fail if a hammock with an intergral ridgeline is
      overstressed due to hanging it too taut, and I say this because my
      observation with the HH that I had was that the ridgeline cord was
      not as thick (and therefore not as strong) as the hammock ropes while
      my analysis (which hasn't been scrutinized) suggests that maybe it
      should be. The spreadsheet is in the Files section under my folder.

      Youngblood