Re: [Hammock Camping] Z hammock questions

  • ciyd01
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 20, 2004
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane" <shane@t...> wrote:
      > > On the the sewing machine I go ...
      >
      > I wonder if the Mayans had sewing machines...

      I wonder if the Mayans had 1.1 oz ripstop nylon?

      Weren't the Mayans visited by aliens? They could have had all sorts
      of things we don't know about ....

      ciyd
    • Risk
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 20, 2004

        > This is the part that I didn't understand completely. You might add
        > that last sentence to your instructions. I misread your current
        > instructions to sew the two layers together. It is now crystal clear!

        Have fun. If you want to reference it again, I took your suggestion
        and modified the page at:

        http://www.imrisk.com/zhammock/zhammock.htm

        If you have been there before, you may need to refresh the page to see
        the diagram and new text.

        Rick
      • jonas4321@juno.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 20, 2004
          Risk, I also misread your instructions. I did it a little differently,
          and I'd like to know if you think there is a reason not to do it the way
          I did (I think it saved me some steps):

          I sewed the ends closed at the same time I sewed the sides partially
          closed. I then turned the whole thing right-side-out and hemmed inwards
          the 4 openings, starting at the side, going up and around the end, then
          back to the other side, a total of 8 seams sewed.

          Same shape and stuff, but the ends are sewed the same way as the sides.

          Thanks for sharing a great design, as I have said before.

          Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 20, 2004
            jonas4321@... wrote:

            >Risk, I also misread your instructions. I did it a little differently,
            >and I'd like to know if you think there is a reason not to do it the way
            >I did (I think it saved me some steps):
            >
            >I sewed the ends closed at the same time I sewed the sides partially
            >closed. I then turned the whole thing right-side-out and hemmed inwards
            >the 4 openings, starting at the side, going up and around the end, then
            >back to the other side, a total of 8 seams sewed.
            >
            >Same shape and stuff, but the ends are sewed the same way as the sides.
            >
            >Thanks for sharing a great design, as I have said before.

            It sounds like an improvement. As long as the 4 layers works as well as
            6 as a stopper.

            Rick
          • jonas4321@juno.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 20, 2004
              > It sounds like an improvement. As long as the 4 layers works as
              > well as
              > 6 as a stopper.
              >
              > Rick

              It's not thick enough for a stopper, at least not enough for me to feel
              safe (of course, I discovered this AFTER I had finished sewing!). So I
              used double sheet bends on the ends instead. It used an inch or two more
              fabric than the whipped end would have, but it didn't rely on the
              stopping effect from the extra layers.

              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 21, 2004
                Thanks Rick! that should make it even more user friendly. The
                amount of work you do on this stuff is amazing. Do you ever sleep?

                > Have fun. If you want to reference it again, I took your suggestion
                > and modified the page at:
                >
                > http://www.imrisk.com/zhammock/zhammock.htm
              • rambler4466
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 26, 2004
                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ciyd01" <ciyd@a...> wrote:
                  > Thanks Rick! that should make it even more user friendly. The
                  > amount of work you do on this stuff is amazing. Do you ever sleep?
                  >

                  > > Have fun. If you want to reference it again, I took your
                  suggestion
                  > > and modified the page at:
                  > >
                  > > http://www.imrisk.com/zhammock/zhammock.htm

                  Rick, On the last paragrph, you might change "...two openings along
                  each end " to read "...two openings along each side". Your hammock
                  works great. BTW I did try a lighter weight line. It worked, but
                  has so much stretch, I've gone back to a thicker one. Where the
                  Speer calls for 15' of webbing, if one uses tree huggers the line
                  can be shorter. Thanks. Frank Other than West Marine, light line
                  can be found at hiking stores. EMS carries light line with
                  reflectors built in!
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 27, 2004
                    ciyd01 wrote:

                    >Thanks Rick! that should make it even more user friendly. The
                    >amount of work you do on this stuff is amazing. Do you ever sleep?

                    Oh yeah! That's the point of the hammock!
                    Risk