Re: [Hammock Camping] cleaning hammock gear

  • ra1@imrisk.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 20, 2004
      Quoting Shane <shane@...>:

      > > , silnylon tarp,
      >
      > Lay tarp inside on floor. Spray windex on soft cloth. Wipe silnylon clean.

      Thank man! I never knew this and have never found a good way to clean either
      silnylon or PU coated stuff. Usually they have just slowly rotted in my closet.

      The only really effective thing I know for any of it is to store it piled
      loosely in a corner between my bed's headboard and the walls. I do this for my
      sleeping bags and hammocks too. I think of it as an airbath for the gear ;)

      Rick.
    • Shane
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 20, 2004
        > Does anyone have any recommendations about how to clean my
        > speer hammock

        Take outside. Get soft nylon brush, Dawn dishwashing detergent and Ivory
        dishwashing detergent. Lay hammock on ground. Wet hammock very wet with
        hose. Scrub with detergent and brush. Rinse well. Repeat using Ivory.
        Rinse well, then keep rinsing. Hang hammock to dry.

        > , silnylon tarp,

        Lay tarp inside on floor. Spray windex on soft cloth. Wipe silnylon clean.

        > down peapod and quilt?

        Take to Laundromat. Use large washer. Use special soap made for down bags.
        Tumble dry on gentle.

        Shane
      • Shane
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 20, 2004
          > Thank man! I never knew this and have never found a good way to
          > clean either silnylon or PU coated stuff. Usually they have just slowly
          > rotted in my closet.

          Another trick is to use ArmorAll on the coated stuff. Just a little. I
          haven't done that in awhile, so an experiment should be done with the modern
          coatings...

          > The only really effective thing I know for any of it is to store it piled
          > loosely in a corner between my bed's headboard and the walls. I do this
          > for my sleeping bags and hammocks too. I think of it as an airbath for
          > the gear ;)

          Sleeping bags should be hung in a closet if synthetic or laid out under the
          bed if they are down. I tend to clean my hammocks once a season, and if I
          don't use them, I air them out about every six or eight weeks for a day. I
          tend to wash my pack every other trip because I don't hike in a shirt so the
          pack gets funky.

          Shane