Z hammock questions

  • ciyd01
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 20 9:05 AM
      Rick (and everyone else),

      I'm about to make my first prototype of your z hammock and I have a
      couple of questions. I'm having a hard time visualizing your sewing
      instructions. This is a double bottom hammock, right? You're
      leaving an opening somewhere to slide a sleeping pad in, right? Your
      first instructions are to sew the 'center 42" of the long sides' and
      then you can start sewing the other 8 sections. What other 8
      sections? Where is the opening for the sleeping pad? Can you
      describe it in more detail?

      Thanks. I know it's a bunch of questions, but it looks like a great
      hammock design I want to try out. I need a design that will take
      sleeping pads so that I can switch between hammocking a tarping with
      only the hammock body as the weight penalty, and even that won't be
      much. I have friends who insist on camping above treeline and
      sleeping on the ground.

      ciyd
    • Ray Garlington
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 20 10:12 AM
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ciyd01" <ciyd@a...> wrote:
        > I have friends who insist on camping above treeline and
        > sleeping on the ground.

        can't help with the z-hammock construction, but here is a pad idea
        that might help you:

        keep an eye out for gardenville's hyperlite air mattress design as
        it matures. This is a modular DAM he is in the process of designing
        now, which is one of the most interesting pieces of gear i've seen
        in a while. It is being discussed over on TLB...

        It will work well on the ground as well as in the hammock. It can
        be used either inside the hammock or outside (uninflated) in a GI
        shell.
      • ciyd01
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 20 10:21 AM
          > keep an eye out for gardenville's hyperlite air mattress design as
          > it matures.

          Yeah, I've even bounced aroudn a few ideas with him. It looks
          interesting and has big potential if he can productize it.
        • ra1@imrisk.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 20 12:26 PM
            Quoting ciyd01 <ciyd@...>:

            > Rick (and everyone else),
            >
            > I'm about to make my first prototype of your z hammock and I have a
            > couple of questions. I'm having a hard time visualizing your sewing
            > instructions. This is a double bottom hammock, right? You're
            > leaving an opening somewhere to slide a sleeping pad in, right? Your
            > first instructions are to sew the 'center 42" of the long sides' and
            > then you can start sewing the other 8 sections. What other 8
            > sections? Where is the opening for the sleeping pad? Can you
            > describe it in more detail?
            >
            > Thanks. I know it's a bunch of questions, but it looks like a great
            > hammock design I want to try out. I need a design that will take
            > sleeping pads so that I can switch between hammocking a tarping with
            > only the hammock body as the weight penalty, and even that won't be
            > much. I have friends who insist on camping above treeline and
            > sleeping on the ground.
            >
            > ciyd

            Hi ciyd,

            Take a look at the picture here:

            http://www.imrisk.com/Zhammocksew.jpg

            This is how I sew the body of the hammock:

            - cut two pieces of 1.1 oz ripstop 9 ft x 4 ft
            - put them on top of each other and sew together along the 42 inch long red
            lines, just sewing the top to the bottom. If you have material with a right
            side and a wrong side, start with the wrong sides out.
            - now turn the hammock rightside out. The edges from the above step will be inside.
            - Those 8 blue colored edges: turn each one in about a half inch and sew it down
            to itself to make a hem. Do NOT sew the top to the bottom.
            - Now take the ends (green) and roll them until a hem traps the end. There will
            be six thicknesses of cloth (3 for the top and 3 for the bottom). In this step,
            I do sew the top to the bottom.
            - Now I whip the ends together. The rolled over hem keeps the whipping from
            sliding off the end of the hammock.
            - This makes it so that there are four openings to the inside of the ZHammock,
            two at each end. It is into any one of these openings that I slide the pad into
            (and later out of).

            I hope this helps.

            Risk
          • ciyd01
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 20 12:47 PM
              Many thanks, Hammock Guru!

              > - Those 8 blue colored edges: turn each one in about a half inch
              and sew it down
              > to itself to make a hem. Do NOT sew the top to the bottom.

              This is the part that I didn't understand completely. You might add
              that last sentence to your instructions. I misread your current
              instructions to sew the two layers together. It is now crystal clear!

              > I hope this helps.

              Very much!

              On the the sewing machine I go ...

              ciyd
            • ciyd01
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 20 1:01 PM
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane" <shane@t...> wrote:
                > > On the the sewing machine I go ...
                >
                > I wonder if the Mayans had sewing machines...

                I wonder if the Mayans had 1.1 oz ripstop nylon?

                Weren't the Mayans visited by aliens? They could have had all sorts
                of things we don't know about ....

                ciyd
              • Risk
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 20 1:40 PM

                  > This is the part that I didn't understand completely. You might add
                  > that last sentence to your instructions. I misread your current
                  > instructions to sew the two layers together. It is now crystal clear!

                  Have fun. If you want to reference it again, I took your suggestion
                  and modified the page at:

                  http://www.imrisk.com/zhammock/zhammock.htm

                  If you have been there before, you may need to refresh the page to see
                  the diagram and new text.

                  Rick
                • Shane
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 20 1:54 PM
                    > On the the sewing machine I go ...

                    I wonder if the Mayans had sewing machines...

                    Shane (not Mirage)
                  • jonas4321@juno.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 20 4:08 PM
                      Risk, I also misread your instructions. I did it a little differently,
                      and I'd like to know if you think there is a reason not to do it the way
                      I did (I think it saved me some steps):

                      I sewed the ends closed at the same time I sewed the sides partially
                      closed. I then turned the whole thing right-side-out and hemmed inwards
                      the 4 openings, starting at the side, going up and around the end, then
                      back to the other side, a total of 8 seams sewed.

                      Same shape and stuff, but the ends are sewed the same way as the sides.

                      Thanks for sharing a great design, as I have said before.

                      Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 20 4:59 PM
                        jonas4321@... wrote:

                        >Risk, I also misread your instructions. I did it a little differently,
                        >and I'd like to know if you think there is a reason not to do it the way
                        >I did (I think it saved me some steps):
                        >
                        >I sewed the ends closed at the same time I sewed the sides partially
                        >closed. I then turned the whole thing right-side-out and hemmed inwards
                        >the 4 openings, starting at the side, going up and around the end, then
                        >back to the other side, a total of 8 seams sewed.
                        >
                        >Same shape and stuff, but the ends are sewed the same way as the sides.
                        >
                        >Thanks for sharing a great design, as I have said before.

                        It sounds like an improvement. As long as the 4 layers works as well as
                        6 as a stopper.

                        Rick
                      • jonas4321@juno.com
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 20 5:15 PM
                          > It sounds like an improvement. As long as the 4 layers works as
                          > well as
                          > 6 as a stopper.
                          >
                          > Rick

                          It's not thick enough for a stopper, at least not enough for me to feel
                          safe (of course, I discovered this AFTER I had finished sewing!). So I
                          used double sheet bends on the ends instead. It used an inch or two more
                          fabric than the whipped end would have, but it didn't rely on the
                          stopping effect from the extra layers.

                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 21 8:57 AM
                            Thanks Rick! that should make it even more user friendly. The
                            amount of work you do on this stuff is amazing. Do you ever sleep?

                            > Have fun. If you want to reference it again, I took your suggestion
                            > and modified the page at:
                            >
                            > http://www.imrisk.com/zhammock/zhammock.htm
                          • rambler4466
                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 26 4:14 AM
                              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ciyd01" <ciyd@a...> wrote:
                              > Thanks Rick! that should make it even more user friendly. The
                              > amount of work you do on this stuff is amazing. Do you ever sleep?
                              >

                              > > Have fun. If you want to reference it again, I took your
                              suggestion
                              > > and modified the page at:
                              > >
                              > > http://www.imrisk.com/zhammock/zhammock.htm

                              Rick, On the last paragrph, you might change "...two openings along
                              each end " to read "...two openings along each side". Your hammock
                              works great. BTW I did try a lighter weight line. It worked, but
                              has so much stretch, I've gone back to a thicker one. Where the
                              Speer calls for 15' of webbing, if one uses tree huggers the line
                              can be shorter. Thanks. Frank Other than West Marine, light line
                              can be found at hiking stores. EMS carries light line with
                              reflectors built in!
                              Message 14 of 14 , Aug 27 1:02 PM
                                ciyd01 wrote:

                                >Thanks Rick! that should make it even more user friendly. The
                                >amount of work you do on this stuff is amazing. Do you ever sleep?

                                Oh yeah! That's the point of the hammock!