Some Measures for HH Explorer Ultralite ASym

  • dlfrost_1
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 18, 2004
      Here are some reference measurements for my Hennessy Explorer
      Ultralite A-Sym hammock.

      The most stable point of reference for measuring length is the base
      (inner edge) of what I call the "end shroud." This is the black
      nylon wrapping covering each end-join knot. It measures 5 3/4 inches
      in length. Out one end comes the rope, and out the other the hammock
      body. (If you look closely you can also see that it is locked in
      place using a nylon cable tie with the tail end snipped off. Take an
      emory board to it if you feel a sharp point.) With the hammock tied
      up with just enough tension to hold the ridgeline straight, the
      shroud-base-to-shroud-base length is 105.5 inches. If measuring
      between the knots in the ridgeline, 92.5 inches. I expect these
      numbers can be plus/minus about 2 inches for any other Explorer.

      The amount of swag in the hammock body varies because of user weight,
      usage, etcetera. So I gently pulled the hammock tie out rings down
      so that the join lines between the body and the bugnet formed
      straight V lines. Then I measured the vertical drop from the
      ridgeline to the end of the ring--that came out to about 24 inches.

      (And for anyone messing with designs: Viewed from the top, the tie
      out rings are offset 12 in. along the ridgeline from the centerpoint
      of the hammock.)

      Doug Frost
    • Coy
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 19, 2004
        Hi Doug

        thanks for the ridgeline measurments, I'll check mine later today if
        I find the time.

        Instead of worring with side pull outs and measuring from the ends, I
        would just measure straight up to the ridge line from the reinforced
        patch at the start of the entry slit. this is while it is just
        hanging, no side tieouts tied or anything. This shold be pretty much
        the same measurment from hammock to hammock within the same modle
        lineup. I'll put mine up tight (like I was going to sleep in it and
        see what I get. I found the other Backpacke A-Sym so I have it to
        compare to instead of the Expedition. I think the body on the
        Backpacker A-Sym sags less than the Expedition did which will make the
        faulty hammock look even worse.

        Coy Boy

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dlfrost_1" <dlfrost@a...> wrote:
        > Here are some reference measurements for my Hennessy Explorer
        > Ultralite A-Sym hammock.
        >
        > The most stable point of reference for measuring length is the base
        > (inner edge) of what I call the "end shroud." This is the black
        > nylon wrapping covering each end-join knot. It measures 5 3/4 inches
        > in length. Out one end comes the rope, and out the other the hammock
        > body. (If you look closely you can also see that it is locked in
        > place using a nylon cable tie with the tail end snipped off. Take an
        > emory board to it if you feel a sharp point.) With the hammock tied
        > up with just enough tension to hold the ridgeline straight, the
        > shroud-base-to-shroud-base length is 105.5 inches. If measuring
        > between the knots in the ridgeline, 92.5 inches. I expect these
        > numbers can be plus/minus about 2 inches for any other Explorer.
        >
        > The amount of swag in the hammock body varies because of user weight,
        > usage, etcetera. So I gently pulled the hammock tie out rings down
        > so that the join lines between the body and the bugnet formed
        > straight V lines. Then I measured the vertical drop from the
        > ridgeline to the end of the ring--that came out to about 24 inches.
        >
        > (And for anyone messing with designs: Viewed from the top, the tie
        > out rings are offset 12 in. along the ridgeline from the centerpoint
        > of the hammock.)
        >
        > Doug Frost
      • zippydooda
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 19, 2004
          If you send your photos to Hennessey, they might be able to diagnose
          your problem pretty quickly. Just a thought.

          Bill in Houston