Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Newbee Questions

  • jonas4321@juno.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 18, 2004
      On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 00:21:58 -0000 "docteric" <docteric@...>
      writes:

      >...and plan to use polypro line instead of webbing.

      > Also, how did you secure the line to the hammock? I am weighing the
      > pros and cons of using a whipping knot, a nail knot, or a prussik.
      > Also considering a water knot but I'm not sure the nylon has enough
      > grip to it.

      I have read a lot about the water knot (which is actually a bend), and
      used it many times. From what I can gather, the water knot works best
      with webbing or tape, not rope, because its strength (it is nearly as
      strong as the webbing without a knot in it, which is unusual) comes from
      the way the two parts are laid, one on top of the other all they way
      through the knot. Maintaining this order with rope is difficult- it's
      easy with flat material.

      It does indeed slip, ever so slightly, with repeated application and
      removal of load even as low as body weight. The knot only fails when the
      tail enters the knot, and so most instructions recommend leaving the
      tails as long as possible (6" or more) to accommodate this slow but real
      slippage. Many also recommend adding a half hitch to the tails, which
      supposedly helps slow or stop the slippage. Since I have only used it for
      a maximum of two nights at a time, I didn't even notice the slippage.

      Nylon webbing holds great with a water knot. Properly tied, it's also
      easy to untie. It's one of my favorite knots.

      Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!