Re: sagging hammock

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 18 8:01 AM
      Coy,

      Can you measure the fabric length between the ends of the ridgeline?
      The reason I mention that is because the sag angle is pretty much
      determined by the ratio of the ridgeline length to the fabric
      length. I was thinking that you would like to keep the same ratio:
      100/120, if possible. So, if you measure a fabric length of 140",
      you would like the ridgline to be 140*100/120 or 117", to get the
      same sag angle for the hammocks.

      For what it's worth, the approximation that I use for the sag angle
      is the arc-cosine of the ridgeline length divided by the fabric
      length, which for this case is the acos(100/120) or 33.5 degrees.
      The tension on the integral ridgeline is a function of the occupants
      weight, the sag angle and the angle of the hammock support ropes
      (referenced to horizontal). For a sag angle of 33.5 degrees, the
      tension on the ridgeline is equal to the tension on the hammock
      support ropes when the hammock support ropes are at an angle of about
      17.5 degrees, the tension on the ridgeline is about half the tension
      of the tension on the hammock support ropes when the hammock support
      ropes are at an angle of about 25.5 degrees and the tension on the
      ridgeline is about 1.5 times the tension on the hammock support ropes
      when the hammock support ropes are at an angle of about 9 degrees.
      Be careful of the tension on the ridgeline because it can get real
      high if you hang the hammock too taut.

      Dave