sagging hammock

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 17, 2004
      I got 3 decent pics up. This is the hammock I need to do surgery on.
      But first let me say HH hammocks are absolutly fantastic hammocks and
      yes I seem to have a lemon but i still love them out of my 4 this one
      slipped through inspection or something. In the first pic I am
      pointing at the bottom of the Expedition A-Sym and the BP A-sym can be
      seen hanging below it. In the second pic you can see me sitting in
      the hammock, it is hung about 7 feet an I have enough clearance but
      like a little more. In the third pic you can see how loose the
      netting is which indicates the body is to long for the interior ridgeline.

      Look under Files under Coy Boys Stuff I put them here so you can view
      them easier than in photos, they show up bigger. I kept the size
      reasonably small for dialup users.

      Coy Boy
    • dlfrost_1
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 17, 2004
        > I got 3 decent pics up. This is the hammock I need to do surgery
        on.
        > But first let me say HH hammocks are absolutly fantastic hammocks
        and
        > yes I seem to have a lemon but i still love them out of my 4 this
        one
        > slipped through inspection or something. In the first pic I am
        > pointing at the bottom of the Expedition A-Sym and the BP A-sym can
        be
        > seen hanging below it. In the second pic you can see me sitting in
        > the hammock, it is hung about 7 feet an I have enough clearance but
        > like a little more. In the third pic you can see how loose the
        > netting is which indicates the body is to long for the interior
        ridgeline.

        > Look under Files under Coy Boys Stuff I put them here so you can
        view
        > them easier than in photos, they show up bigger. I kept the size
        > reasonably small for dialup users.
        >
        > Coy Boy

        You look like one Unhappy Pappy in those pics....

        Yea, the ridgeline is wayyy too short for that hammock, by about a
        third. Tomorrow I'll get my HH Backpacker Asym out and do a bunch of
        measurements for you to use for comparison.

        Doug Frost
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 18, 2004
          Coy,

          Nice photo's. When I looked at the Hennessy spec sheet
          (http://www.hennessyhammock.com/comparisonchart.htm ), the dimensions
          for the Expedition A-Sym and the BP A-sym appear to be the same.
          The 'Ridgeline Length' is 100" and the fabric length (from 'Fabric
          Dimensions') is 120". It should be pretty easy to measure those
          dimensions on both hammocks to see how much the ridgeline length on
          the Expedition A-Sym needs to change to correct it.

          Dave

          > I got 3 decent pics up. This is the hammock I need to do surgery
          on.
          > But first let me say HH hammocks are absolutly fantastic hammocks
          and
          > yes I seem to have a lemon but i still love them out of my 4 this
          one
          > slipped through inspection or something. In the first pic I am
          > pointing at the bottom of the Expedition A-Sym and the BP A-sym can
          be
          > seen hanging below it. In the second pic you can see me sitting in
          > the hammock, it is hung about 7 feet an I have enough clearance but
          > like a little more. In the third pic you can see how loose the
          > netting is which indicates the body is to long for the interior
          ridgeline.

          > Look under Files under Coy Boys Stuff I put them here so you can
          view
          > them easier than in photos, they show up bigger. I kept the size
          > reasonably small for dialup users.
          >
          > Coy Boy
        • Coy
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 18, 2004
            Hi Dave

            Thanks for that info. When I had them up side by side the rope
            length looked identical. I had already decided that the ridge line
            is actually the correct length. I think the hammock body has too
            much material. However the easy fix would be to lengthen the
            interior ridge line to get the proper hang. I would go by the bug
            netting. when it is back to normal tightness (not too tight) then i
            would use that as the detremining factor for interior ridge line
            length. The other option is to undo the knot for the material and
            cut some of the length off and retie. That would mess with how the
            netting is sewn on at the ends which I really dont want to fool with.
            would need to cut some off the netting and resew it back to the
            body. Thus my decision to lengthen the ridgeline. the only problem
            with this fix is it may make the fly too short. I have a few
            decisions to make!

            Coy Boy

            > Coy,
            >
            > Nice photo's. When I looked at the Hennessy spec sheet
            > (http://www.hennessyhammock.com/comparisonchart.htm ), the
            dimensions
            > for the Expedition A-Sym and the BP A-sym appear to be the same.
            > The 'Ridgeline Length' is 100" and the fabric length (from 'Fabric
            > Dimensions') is 120". It should be pretty easy to measure those
            > dimensions on both hammocks to see how much the ridgeline length on
            > the Expedition A-Sym needs to change to correct it.
            >
            > Dave
            >

            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Coy" <starnescr@y...> wrote:
            > > I got 3 decent pics up. This is the hammock I need to do surgery
            > on.
            > > But first let me say HH hammocks are absolutly fantastic hammocks
            > and
            > > yes I seem to have a lemon but i still love them out of my 4
            this
            > one
            > > slipped through inspection or something. In the first pic I am
            > > pointing at the bottom of the Expedition A-Sym and the BP A-sym
            can
            > be
            > > seen hanging below it. In the second pic you can see me sitting
            in
            > > the hammock, it is hung about 7 feet an I have enough clearance
            but
            > > like a little more. In the third pic you can see how loose the
            > > netting is which indicates the body is to long for the interior
            > ridgeline.
            > >
            > > Look under Files under Coy Boys Stuff I put them here so you can
            > view
            > > them easier than in photos, they show up bigger. I kept the size
            > > reasonably small for dialup users.
            > >
            > > Coy Boy
          • Coy
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 18, 2004
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dlfrost_1" <dlfrost@a...>
              wrote:

              > You look like one Unhappy Pappy in those pics....
              >
              > Yea, the ridgeline is wayyy too short for that hammock, by about a
              > third. Tomorrow I'll get my HH Backpacker Asym out and do a bunch
              of
              > measurements for you to use for comparison.
              >
              > Doug Frost

              Hi Doug,

              Dave checked and it should be 100 inches. you can double check and
              let me know if you want. On the pics. didn't you see the big smiley
              face on my shirt. I never smile much. happy as a lark just dont
              smile.

              Coy Boy
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 18, 2004
                Coy,

                Can you measure the fabric length between the ends of the ridgeline?
                The reason I mention that is because the sag angle is pretty much
                determined by the ratio of the ridgeline length to the fabric
                length. I was thinking that you would like to keep the same ratio:
                100/120, if possible. So, if you measure a fabric length of 140",
                you would like the ridgline to be 140*100/120 or 117", to get the
                same sag angle for the hammocks.

                For what it's worth, the approximation that I use for the sag angle
                is the arc-cosine of the ridgeline length divided by the fabric
                length, which for this case is the acos(100/120) or 33.5 degrees.
                The tension on the integral ridgeline is a function of the occupants
                weight, the sag angle and the angle of the hammock support ropes
                (referenced to horizontal). For a sag angle of 33.5 degrees, the
                tension on the ridgeline is equal to the tension on the hammock
                support ropes when the hammock support ropes are at an angle of about
                17.5 degrees, the tension on the ridgeline is about half the tension
                of the tension on the hammock support ropes when the hammock support
                ropes are at an angle of about 25.5 degrees and the tension on the
                ridgeline is about 1.5 times the tension on the hammock support ropes
                when the hammock support ropes are at an angle of about 9 degrees.
                Be careful of the tension on the ridgeline because it can get real
                high if you hang the hammock too taut.

                Dave