Re: Pics of my latest hammock system and trip

  • Mirage
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 7, 2004
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "rambler4466" <rambler4466@h...>
      wrote:
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Mirage" <mirage@p...> wrote:
      > > Posted at:
      > http://www.peak.org/~webdawg/Hammocking/MirageHammockSystem/
      > >
      > > Some work still to do on the html links (don't click "Up", won't
      > work), but you'll get a
      > > better idea of what I've been doing lately.
      > >
      > > Shane "Mirage"...
      > Nice pics.
      > Questions: Advantages -- disadvantages of hving your tarp in a skin?

      My backpack (GG Vapor Trail) does not have a mesh pocket to stuff it in on the
      outside. So the use of tubes/skins allows me to pack it last, even if wet, into my
      pack. It also allows me to unpack it first in the rain, fly it, then having something to
      work under for the rest of my camp chores.

      > Have you wraped the packed hammock and tarp with line used as tie-
      > outs, eliminating the need for stuff sacks?

      I have, but because I also store clothing and a light quilt in the hammock, the tubes
      help me to keep everything together and compressed. It also allows me to close up
      the hammock when not in use so I can work under it, or cook and eat. Putting the
      tarp and the hammock together would esure that the hammock, bugnet and contents
      would also get wet here in the PNW.

      > Does webbing run the entire length of the center of your bug net?
      > Is it grosgrain or heavier webbing?

      Yes. It is 1" gross grain.

      > Does the netting have velcro only at the ends in an "L" shape? Is
      > it only hemmed along the long edges or is it velcroed there, too?

      No "L" shape. Just straight down the ends. The way I attached the velcro does the job
      of hemming the ends. The long edge is hemmed with shock cord inside it.

      > Do you always detach the hanging webbing from the hammock each time
      > you pack it?

      yes, they are seperate pieces, and depending on tree location and diameter will
      almost always require adjustments.

      > Do you usually set the tarp high enough to stand under? It looks
      > smaller than the standard Speer 8x10 or so, is it?

      In expected good weather, yes. The size is 9x10.5, but with curved edges. In bad or
      ify weather, I hang them much closer together.

      Shane "Mirage"...
    • Mirage
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 7, 2004
        wrote:

        > Ditto, Rick, I realize that what I thought was hanging webbing
        > was actually your tree huggers, therefore my previous question
        > about "detaching" the hanging webbing which would be difficult since
        > the knot gets so tightly pulled.

        I do detach them. If you do the knot, more like a wrap, it's not a problem to detach.

        > I also realize what I thought to
        > be separate line tied around the wrapped up hammock and tarp must be
        > your hanging lines.

        Correct.

        >I assume, too, the prusick knot is moveable so
        > the bugg netting tension can be adjusted.

        Yes.

        >Is your hanging line 15'
        > and what is the weight savings using 3/32 line?

        10-12' on the hang lines. No idea on the weight savings. Rick is testing out the 3/32
        lines.

        > The line must be
        > less bulky than webbing.

        Yes, that is why I went back to lines and huggers.

        > Do you not use any sort of hoop-support
        > for the front end circle of the skin opening?

        No. due to the taper, then hem is the only securing needed.

        > BTW Having first
        > replied here that double-laring a hammock would not be necessary, I
        > put together a ZHammock with your help. It is light and really
        > holds the pads flatter than my Speer which is also wider. One more
        > question. Did you previously use the full width of the bug netting
        > (the one weighted with coins or gear pockets)and have you now cut it
        > shorter on the width?

        This seems to be directed at Rick, correct? My bugnetting is full width, but Rick is the
        one with the quarters/pockets in his design.

        Shane "Mirage"...