Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: 3/32" Hammock Hanging Rope?

    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 4, 2004
      Mirage wrote:

      >I then whipped the hammock hanging lines on the end of the hammock,
      >leaving about 10' of line to hang from on either end.

      Hey Mirage,

      I was asleep at the wheel last month when y'all were talking about knots
      for the hammock to rope junction. What is this whipping to 10 foot of
      line knot that you use?

      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 4, 2004
        moneymakerjk1 wrote:

        >What about short sections of tubular nylon sling as a cover for the
        >line as it goes around the tree? A one or two foot length wont weigh
        >that much I suspect. I used to be a Ropes Course instructor, and the
        >stuff is pretty hardy.
        >
        >jon

        Hi Jon,

        I would want the weight to be suspended from the webbing against the
        tree for two reasons:
        - eliminate roll down
        - spread weight across the full width of the webbing

        I have used the Hennessy Hammock style tree huggers and think they are a
        good solution. They are also easy to make at home. What this is, is a 2
        or three foot piece of webbing with the ends folded over and sewn into a
        loop. To tie the hammock up to the tree, the hugger is either wrapped
        around the back of the tree (big tree) or wrapped a couple times around
        a smaller tree, ending up with the two loops equidistant from the
        hammock. Then the rope is passed through the loops and tied with a
        hennessy hammock knot.

        I would not think that passing the rope through a piece of tubular
        webbing would do much to protect the tree from anything except abrasion
        (which is not the damage I am concerned about) or to reduce roll down.
        BTW, the damage I am concerned about is pressure damage to the live
        cambrium layer under the bark.

        Risk
        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 4, 2004
          Ralph Oborn wrote:

          >To engineer the straps/ropes how big of a safety factor do you plan
          >on?
          >If I weigh 200 lbs. and hang at 40°. then my static load on each
          >rope is 155 lbs. is a rope with 5oo lbs. breaking strength enough?
          >1000 lbs? 1500 lbs?

          Thus far I have done well with straps with a breaking strength of
          300-600 pounds. I "figure" that with a breaking strength of 950 pounds,
          the 3/32 T-100 cord is probably strong enough. All I know about stretch
          is that the line is said to stretch less than one percent at 95 pounds
          of tension.

          Another cord I might think about would be the 1/8 inch Pulse Line which
          is also about 900 pounds of strength.

          This is just an experiment for me. I will not guess any conclusion
          until I actually try it. I know that I will be *very* surprised if 3/32
          inch cord is sufficient. But if it is, this offers considerable space
          and weight savings, as well as a little cost savings.

          Risk
        • Mirage
          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 4, 2004
            > Mirage wrote:
            >

            > >I then whipped the hammock hanging lines on the end of the
            hammock,
            > >leaving about 10' of line to hang from on either end.
            > >

            > Hey Mirage,
            >
            > I was asleep at the wheel last month when y'all were talking about
            knots
            > for the hammock to rope junction. What is this whipping to 10
            foot of
            > line knot that you use?

            Initially, I was using 1/8" polypro line to whip the folded ends
            (instead of knots) together, then using a larks head from the straps
            or rope to hang the hammock.

            I just took it one step further, once I decided to go back to rope
            and tree huggers. Instead of whipping with 1/8" line first, I just
            use my 3/8 hang line and whipped it to the end, leaving the long end
            comming out the end of the folds.

            I'll post pics as soon I I get them back from my dads camera (I
            borrowed my sons, and forgot it only has 16Mb and the pics turned
            out poor as well).

            Shane "Mirage"...
          • Ray Garlington
            Message 5 of 22 , Aug 5, 2004
              <polecatpop@y...> wrote:
              > To engineer the straps/ropes how big of a safety factor do you
              plan
              > on?

              As a practical example: Hennessey uses line with a breaking
              strength from about 1600 to 1800 pounds depending on the model. If
              the webbing used by the Speerians really is 800 pound breaking
              strength, and they are not reporting problems then you can see that
              Tom has built in a large safety factor.

              It will be interesting to see if Rick ends up risking the 3/32"
              which is typically used for working loads around 100 pounds. On a
              positive note, it seems like it should work if the webbing he's been
              using really only goes to 800 pounds.
            • Ray Garlington
              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 5, 2004
                > BTW, the damage I am concerned about is pressure damage to the
                live
                > cambrium layer under the bark.

                Apx what pressure (in psi) will cause damage? We could calculate
                (or measure) the localized pressure being generated at the outside
                bark surface and stay above that figure. The exterior bark would
                also act as padding serving primarily as a safety factor.

                My experience with trees has been that they can survive quite well
                even if cut through to the wood so long as decay does not start at
                the injury site. You have to ring a tree most of the way around
                (cut through the bark) to kill it.
                Message 7 of 22 , Aug 5, 2004
                  <rgarling@y...> wrote:
                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Oborn"
                  > <polecatpop@y...> wrote:
                  > > To engineer the straps/ropes how big of a safety factor do you
                  > plan
                  > > on?
                  >
                  > As a practical example: Hennessey uses line with a breaking
                  > strength from about 1600 to 1800 pounds depending on the model. If
                  > the webbing used by the Speerians really is 800 pound breaking
                  > strength, and they are not reporting problems then you can see that
                  > Tom has built in a large safety factor.

                  Ray, you overlooked something in your comparison. The Hennessy, with
                  its intergal ridgeline, generally puts more tension on the hammock
                  support ropes/straps because it typically is hung so that the hammock
                  support ropes/straps are more horizontally than a Speer hammock.
                  Sometimes, this difference in tension is quite severe and it is not
                  obvious that Hennessy is using a greater safety margin. This extra
                  tension would also carry over to the other discussion concerning tree
                  damage. (While the internal ridgeline does help in getting a
                  consistant 'hang', it is not without its drawbacks.)

                  Youngblood
                • navjohn@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 22 , Aug 5, 2004

                    In a message dated 8/5/04 10:35:38 AM, rgarling@... writes:

                    My experience with trees has been that they can survive quite well
                    even if cut through to the wood so long as decay does not start at
                    the injury site.   You have to ring a tree most of the way around
                    (cut through the bark) to kill it.

                    Yes, but our goal should be leave no trace -- and this means no visible damage to trees.  Many public (and some private) campgrounds already have restrictions against tying anything to trees because of damage caused by careless campers.   Any scarring or bark loss, even if it causes no long-term damage to the tree, should be considered unacceptable to an ethical hammocker.
                    John Wilson
                  • ra1@imrisk.com
                    Message 9 of 22 , Aug 5, 2004
                      Quoting navjohn@...:

                      > In a message dated 8/5/04 10:35:38 AM, rgarling@... writes:
                      >

                      > > My experience with trees has been that they can survive quite well
                      > > even if cut through to the wood so long as decay does not start at
                      > > the injury site. You have to ring a tree most of the way around
                      > > (cut through the bark) to kill it.
                      > >

                      > Yes, but our goal should be leave no trace -- and this means no visible
                      > damage to trees. Many public (and some private) campgrounds already have
                      > restrictions against tying anything to trees because of damage caused by
                      > careless
                      > campers. Any scarring or bark loss, even if it causes no long-term damage
                      > the tree, should be considered unacceptable to an ethical hammocker.
                      > John Wilson

                      John,

                      I agree that my concern is at a higher level than killing the tree - and I know
                      Ray's is as well. I am concerned about scars from damage to any portion of the
                      tree's live portion - under the bark.

                      I am a little less worried about a little surface scrape of the outer bark,
                      which is only some friction against the dead outer layer of the bark. But this
                      is because I usually am using a tree that will seldom/never have another hammock
                      hung from it.

                      I guess it is not truely leave no trace, in the same way that stepping on grass
                      is not actually leave no trace.

                      Rick
                    • zippydooda
                      Message 10 of 22 , Aug 5, 2004
                        Hey Risk, as far as stretch, the amount of stretch per unit of load
                        should be higher for the first unit of load than for subsequent
                        units. Sorry, which means that if you get 1% stretch with the first
                        95 lbs, that the next 95 pounds should be less than 1% stretch. So
                        for 450 lbs, you are looking at maybe 4% stretch or less.

                        Good luck with the experiment, and thanks for posting your ideas.
                        Hopefully the knots you use won't reduce the ultimate tensile
                        strength too much. Maybe put a big mattress under you when you do
                        the testing ;-)

                        Bill in Houston

                      • Thomas Peltier@Goldenautomotive.com
                        Message 11 of 22 , Aug 5, 2004
                          Hey Risk, as far as stretch, the amount of stretch per unit of load
                          should be higher for the first unit of load than for subsequent
                          units. Sorry, which means that if you get 1% stretch with the first
                          95 lbs, that the next 95 pounds should be less than 1% stretch. So
                          for 450 lbs, you are looking at maybe 4% stretch or less.

                          Good luck with the experiment, and thanks for posting your ideas.
                          Hopefully the knots you use won't reduce the ultimate tensile
                          strength too much. Maybe put a big mattress under you when you do
                          the testing ;-)

                          Bill in Houston

                          Now I know that my climbing rope stretches much farther relatively on a
                          long fall than a short one.

                          Oh and I use a bouldering crash pad when I'm experimenting. Fortunately
                          I have yet to need it.

                          Tom

                          P.s. Now were is that piece of wood... Ah yes,, knock knock
                        • zippydooda
                          Message 12 of 22 , Aug 5, 2004
                            Yeah, I was afraid I wasn't making sense. The rope will stretch more
                            as the load increases, you are right. It's just that in the first 95
                            pounds (or whatever) the rope will stretch more, as the individual
                            fibers and strands shift against each other and lay down flat against
                            each other. One the rope is taut and all the strands are compacted
                            against each other, it will be relatively more difficult to stretch.

                            Bill in Houston

                            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Peltier@G..."

                            Message 13 of 22 , Aug 6, 2004
                              as the individual
                              fibers and strands shift against each other and lay down flat against
                              each other.
                              _________________________

                              Which would explain why short falls tend to be harder on ropes than long
                              falls.

                              Tom
                            • rambler4466
                              Message 14 of 22 , Aug 7, 2004
                                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Peltier@G..."

                                BTW Recently purchased 30' of 1" polypro. "heavy link" webbing. It
                                weighs 5.5oz.

                                Message 15 of 22 , Aug 20, 2004
                                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Garlington"
                                  > <rgarling@y...> wrote:
                                  > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Oborn"
                                  > > <polecatpop@y...> wrote:
                                  > > > To engineer the straps/ropes how big of a safety factor do you
                                  > > plan
                                  > > > on?
                                  > >
                                  > > As a practical example: Hennessey uses line with a breaking
                                  > > strength from about 1600 to 1800 pounds depending on the model.
                                  If
                                  > > the webbing used by the Speerians really is 800 pound breaking
                                  > > strength, and they are not reporting problems then you can see
                                  that
                                  > > Tom has built in a large safety factor.
                                  > >

                                  > Ray, you overlooked something in your comparison. The Hennessy,
                                  with
                                  > its intergal ridgeline, generally puts more tension on the hammock
                                  > support ropes/straps because it typically is hung so that the
                                  hammock
                                  > support ropes/straps are more horizontally than a Speer hammock.
                                  > Sometimes, this difference in tension is quite severe and it is not
                                  > obvious that Hennessy is using a greater safety margin. This extra
                                  > tension would also carry over to the other discussion concerning
                                  tree
                                  > damage. (While the internal ridgeline does help in getting a
                                  > consistant 'hang', it is not without its drawbacks.)
                                  >
                                  > Youngblood

                                  Since this comes up from time to time, I decided to upload a MSExcel
                                  spreadsheet of mine that shows the results of the analysis I did of
                                  the forces associated with using an integral ridgeline. I hope it
                                  will clear up the point I was trying to make. Basically without an
                                  integral (or tensioned) ridgeline the forces are just Force 1... I
                                  try to hang my homemade versions of the Speer Hammock such that Angle
                                  1 is at 30 degrees or so. With the Hennessy Hammocks, Angle 1 is
                                  typically less (my guess is somewhere around 15 to 30 degrees?)...
                                  depending on how taut you tie the hammock. This means that Force 1
                                  might be higher when using hammocks with an intergral ridgeline and
                                  that the tension on that ridgeline can sometimes exceed the tension
                                  on the hammock ropes (ie, Force 3 exceeds Force 1 on my
                                  spreadsheet). My thinking is that the ridgeline cord may be the
                                  first thing to fail if a hammock with an intergral ridgeline is
                                  overstressed due to hanging it too taut, and I say this because my
                                  observation with the HH that I had was that the ridgeline cord was
                                  not as thick (and therefore not as strong) as the hammock ropes while
                                  my analysis (which hasn't been scrutinized) suggests that maybe it
                                  should be. The spreadsheet is in the Files section under my folder.

                                  Youngblood