Re: 3/32" Hammock Hanging Rope?

  • moneymakerjk1
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 4 11:35 AM
      What about short sections of tubular nylon sling as a cover for the
      line as it goes around the tree? A one or two foot length wont weigh
      that much I suspect. I used to be a Ropes Course instructor, and the
      stuff is pretty hardy.

      jon
    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 4 11:41 AM
        To engineer the straps/ropes how big of a safety factor do you plan
        on?
        If I weigh 200 lbs. and hang at 40°. then my static load on each
        rope is 155 lbs. is a rope with 5oo lbs. breaking strength enough?
        1000 lbs? 1500 lbs?

        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 4 1:06 PM
          Mirage wrote:

          >I then whipped the hammock hanging lines on the end of the hammock,
          >leaving about 10' of line to hang from on either end.

          Hey Mirage,

          I was asleep at the wheel last month when y'all were talking about knots
          for the hammock to rope junction. What is this whipping to 10 foot of
          line knot that you use?

          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 4 1:15 PM
            moneymakerjk1 wrote:

            >What about short sections of tubular nylon sling as a cover for the
            >line as it goes around the tree? A one or two foot length wont weigh
            >that much I suspect. I used to be a Ropes Course instructor, and the
            >stuff is pretty hardy.
            >
            >jon

            Hi Jon,

            I would want the weight to be suspended from the webbing against the
            tree for two reasons:
            - eliminate roll down
            - spread weight across the full width of the webbing

            I have used the Hennessy Hammock style tree huggers and think they are a
            good solution. They are also easy to make at home. What this is, is a 2
            or three foot piece of webbing with the ends folded over and sewn into a
            loop. To tie the hammock up to the tree, the hugger is either wrapped
            around the back of the tree (big tree) or wrapped a couple times around
            a smaller tree, ending up with the two loops equidistant from the
            hammock. Then the rope is passed through the loops and tied with a
            hennessy hammock knot.

            I would not think that passing the rope through a piece of tubular
            webbing would do much to protect the tree from anything except abrasion
            (which is not the damage I am concerned about) or to reduce roll down.
            BTW, the damage I am concerned about is pressure damage to the live
            cambrium layer under the bark.

            Risk
            Message 5 of 22 , Aug 4 1:23 PM
              Ralph Oborn wrote:

              >To engineer the straps/ropes how big of a safety factor do you plan
              >on?
              >If I weigh 200 lbs. and hang at 40°. then my static load on each
              >rope is 155 lbs. is a rope with 5oo lbs. breaking strength enough?
              >1000 lbs? 1500 lbs?

              Thus far I have done well with straps with a breaking strength of
              300-600 pounds. I "figure" that with a breaking strength of 950 pounds,
              the 3/32 T-100 cord is probably strong enough. All I know about stretch
              is that the line is said to stretch less than one percent at 95 pounds
              of tension.

              Another cord I might think about would be the 1/8 inch Pulse Line which
              is also about 900 pounds of strength.

              This is just an experiment for me. I will not guess any conclusion
              until I actually try it. I know that I will be *very* surprised if 3/32
              inch cord is sufficient. But if it is, this offers considerable space
              and weight savings, as well as a little cost savings.

              Risk
            • Mirage
              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 4 2:04 PM
                > Mirage wrote:
                >

                > >I then whipped the hammock hanging lines on the end of the
                hammock,
                > >leaving about 10' of line to hang from on either end.
                > >

                > Hey Mirage,
                >
                > I was asleep at the wheel last month when y'all were talking about
                knots
                > for the hammock to rope junction. What is this whipping to 10
                foot of
                > line knot that you use?

                Initially, I was using 1/8" polypro line to whip the folded ends
                (instead of knots) together, then using a larks head from the straps
                or rope to hang the hammock.

                I just took it one step further, once I decided to go back to rope
                and tree huggers. Instead of whipping with 1/8" line first, I just
                use my 3/8 hang line and whipped it to the end, leaving the long end
                comming out the end of the folds.

                I'll post pics as soon I I get them back from my dads camera (I
                borrowed my sons, and forgot it only has 16Mb and the pics turned
                out poor as well).

                Shane "Mirage"...
              • Ray Garlington
                Message 7 of 22 , Aug 5 5:17 AM
                  <polecatpop@y...> wrote:
                  > To engineer the straps/ropes how big of a safety factor do you
                  plan
                  > on?

                  As a practical example: Hennessey uses line with a breaking
                  strength from about 1600 to 1800 pounds depending on the model. If
                  the webbing used by the Speerians really is 800 pound breaking
                  strength, and they are not reporting problems then you can see that
                  Tom has built in a large safety factor.

                  It will be interesting to see if Rick ends up risking the 3/32"
                  which is typically used for working loads around 100 pounds. On a
                  positive note, it seems like it should work if the webbing he's been
                  using really only goes to 800 pounds.
                • Ray Garlington
                  Message 8 of 22 , Aug 5 7:09 AM
                    > BTW, the damage I am concerned about is pressure damage to the
                    live
                    > cambrium layer under the bark.

                    Apx what pressure (in psi) will cause damage? We could calculate
                    (or measure) the localized pressure being generated at the outside
                    bark surface and stay above that figure. The exterior bark would
                    also act as padding serving primarily as a safety factor.

                    My experience with trees has been that they can survive quite well
                    even if cut through to the wood so long as decay does not start at
                    the injury site. You have to ring a tree most of the way around
                    (cut through the bark) to kill it.
                    Message 9 of 22 , Aug 5 7:52 AM
                      <rgarling@y...> wrote:
                      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Oborn"
                      > <polecatpop@y...> wrote:
                      > > To engineer the straps/ropes how big of a safety factor do you
                      > plan
                      > > on?
                      >
                      > As a practical example: Hennessey uses line with a breaking
                      > strength from about 1600 to 1800 pounds depending on the model. If
                      > the webbing used by the Speerians really is 800 pound breaking
                      > strength, and they are not reporting problems then you can see that
                      > Tom has built in a large safety factor.

                      Ray, you overlooked something in your comparison. The Hennessy, with
                      its intergal ridgeline, generally puts more tension on the hammock
                      support ropes/straps because it typically is hung so that the hammock
                      support ropes/straps are more horizontally than a Speer hammock.
                      Sometimes, this difference in tension is quite severe and it is not
                      obvious that Hennessy is using a greater safety margin. This extra
                      tension would also carry over to the other discussion concerning tree
                      damage. (While the internal ridgeline does help in getting a
                      consistant 'hang', it is not without its drawbacks.)

                      Youngblood
                    • navjohn@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 22 , Aug 5 9:10 AM

                        In a message dated 8/5/04 10:35:38 AM, rgarling@... writes:

                        My experience with trees has been that they can survive quite well
                        even if cut through to the wood so long as decay does not start at
                        the injury site.   You have to ring a tree most of the way around
                        (cut through the bark) to kill it.

                        Yes, but our goal should be leave no trace -- and this means no visible damage to trees.  Many public (and some private) campgrounds already have restrictions against tying anything to trees because of damage caused by careless campers.   Any scarring or bark loss, even if it causes no long-term damage to the tree, should be considered unacceptable to an ethical hammocker.
                        John Wilson
                      • ra1@imrisk.com
                        Message 11 of 22 , Aug 5 11:05 AM
                          Quoting navjohn@...:

                          > In a message dated 8/5/04 10:35:38 AM, rgarling@... writes:
                          >

                          > > My experience with trees has been that they can survive quite well
                          > > even if cut through to the wood so long as decay does not start at
                          > > the injury site. You have to ring a tree most of the way around
                          > > (cut through the bark) to kill it.
                          > >

                          > Yes, but our goal should be leave no trace -- and this means no visible
                          > damage to trees. Many public (and some private) campgrounds already have
                          > restrictions against tying anything to trees because of damage caused by
                          > careless
                          > campers. Any scarring or bark loss, even if it causes no long-term damage
                          > the tree, should be considered unacceptable to an ethical hammocker.
                          > John Wilson

                          John,

                          I agree that my concern is at a higher level than killing the tree - and I know
                          Ray's is as well. I am concerned about scars from damage to any portion of the
                          tree's live portion - under the bark.

                          I am a little less worried about a little surface scrape of the outer bark,
                          which is only some friction against the dead outer layer of the bark. But this
                          is because I usually am using a tree that will seldom/never have another hammock
                          hung from it.

                          I guess it is not truely leave no trace, in the same way that stepping on grass
                          is not actually leave no trace.

                          Rick
                        • zippydooda
                          Message 12 of 22 , Aug 5 11:28 AM
                            Hey Risk, as far as stretch, the amount of stretch per unit of load
                            should be higher for the first unit of load than for subsequent
                            units. Sorry, which means that if you get 1% stretch with the first
                            95 lbs, that the next 95 pounds should be less than 1% stretch. So
                            for 450 lbs, you are looking at maybe 4% stretch or less.

                            Good luck with the experiment, and thanks for posting your ideas.
                            Hopefully the knots you use won't reduce the ultimate tensile
                            strength too much. Maybe put a big mattress under you when you do
                            the testing ;-)

                            Bill in Houston

                          • Thomas Peltier@Goldenautomotive.com
                            Message 13 of 22 , Aug 5 2:45 PM
                              Hey Risk, as far as stretch, the amount of stretch per unit of load
                              should be higher for the first unit of load than for subsequent
                              units. Sorry, which means that if you get 1% stretch with the first
                              95 lbs, that the next 95 pounds should be less than 1% stretch. So
                              for 450 lbs, you are looking at maybe 4% stretch or less.

                              Good luck with the experiment, and thanks for posting your ideas.
                              Hopefully the knots you use won't reduce the ultimate tensile
                              strength too much. Maybe put a big mattress under you when you do
                              the testing ;-)

                              Bill in Houston

                              Now I know that my climbing rope stretches much farther relatively on a
                              long fall than a short one.

                              Oh and I use a bouldering crash pad when I'm experimenting. Fortunately
                              I have yet to need it.

                              Tom

                              P.s. Now were is that piece of wood... Ah yes,, knock knock
                            • zippydooda
                              Message 14 of 22 , Aug 5 4:57 PM
                                Yeah, I was afraid I wasn't making sense. The rope will stretch more
                                as the load increases, you are right. It's just that in the first 95
                                pounds (or whatever) the rope will stretch more, as the individual
                                fibers and strands shift against each other and lay down flat against
                                each other. One the rope is taut and all the strands are compacted
                                against each other, it will be relatively more difficult to stretch.

                                Bill in Houston

                                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Peltier@G..."

                                Message 15 of 22 , Aug 6 2:18 PM
                                  as the individual
                                  fibers and strands shift against each other and lay down flat against
                                  each other.
                                  _________________________

                                  Which would explain why short falls tend to be harder on ropes than long
                                  falls.

                                  Tom
                                • rambler4466
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Aug 7 4:30 AM
                                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Peltier@G..."

                                    BTW Recently purchased 30' of 1" polypro. "heavy link" webbing. It
                                    weighs 5.5oz.

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Aug 20 2:25 PM
                                      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Garlington"
                                      > <rgarling@y...> wrote:
                                      > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Oborn"
                                      > > <polecatpop@y...> wrote:
                                      > > > To engineer the straps/ropes how big of a safety factor do you
                                      > > plan
                                      > > > on?
                                      > >
                                      > > As a practical example: Hennessey uses line with a breaking
                                      > > strength from about 1600 to 1800 pounds depending on the model.
                                      If
                                      > > the webbing used by the Speerians really is 800 pound breaking
                                      > > strength, and they are not reporting problems then you can see
                                      that
                                      > > Tom has built in a large safety factor.
                                      > >

                                      > Ray, you overlooked something in your comparison. The Hennessy,
                                      with
                                      > its intergal ridgeline, generally puts more tension on the hammock
                                      > support ropes/straps because it typically is hung so that the
                                      hammock
                                      > support ropes/straps are more horizontally than a Speer hammock.
                                      > Sometimes, this difference in tension is quite severe and it is not
                                      > obvious that Hennessy is using a greater safety margin. This extra
                                      > tension would also carry over to the other discussion concerning
                                      tree
                                      > damage. (While the internal ridgeline does help in getting a
                                      > consistant 'hang', it is not without its drawbacks.)
                                      >
                                      > Youngblood

                                      Since this comes up from time to time, I decided to upload a MSExcel
                                      spreadsheet of mine that shows the results of the analysis I did of
                                      the forces associated with using an integral ridgeline. I hope it
                                      will clear up the point I was trying to make. Basically without an
                                      integral (or tensioned) ridgeline the forces are just Force 1... I
                                      try to hang my homemade versions of the Speer Hammock such that Angle
                                      1 is at 30 degrees or so. With the Hennessy Hammocks, Angle 1 is
                                      typically less (my guess is somewhere around 15 to 30 degrees?)...
                                      depending on how taut you tie the hammock. This means that Force 1
                                      might be higher when using hammocks with an intergral ridgeline and
                                      that the tension on that ridgeline can sometimes exceed the tension
                                      on the hammock ropes (ie, Force 3 exceeds Force 1 on my
                                      spreadsheet). My thinking is that the ridgeline cord may be the
                                      first thing to fail if a hammock with an intergral ridgeline is
                                      overstressed due to hanging it too taut, and I say this because my
                                      observation with the HH that I had was that the ridgeline cord was
                                      not as thick (and therefore not as strong) as the hammock ropes while
                                      my analysis (which hasn't been scrutinized) suggests that maybe it
                                      should be. The spreadsheet is in the Files section under my folder.

                                      Youngblood