Re: 3/32" Hammock Hanging Rope?

  • moneymakerjk1
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 4, 2004
      Risk....
      what is your new "elegant" method....for the bug net?
      I also agree with the webbing weight and will be waiting to see how
      your new line works...
      If it's breaking strength is 950 pounds, isn't it's safe working load
      strength about 10percent of that, say 95 pounds?

      or is 950 the safe working load?

      Jon
    • ra1@imrisk.com
      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 4, 2004
        Quoting moneymakerjk1 <moneymakerjk1@...>:

        > Risk....
        > what is your new "elegant" method....for the bug net?
        > I also agree with the webbing weight and will be waiting to see how
        > your new line works...
        > If it's breaking strength is 950 pounds, isn't it's safe working load
        > strength about 10percent of that, say 95 pounds?
        >
        > or is 950 the safe working load?
        >
        > Jon

        Jon,

        Patience Grasshoppa regarding the new method. It is not great revalation, but
        might be a little easier.

        As to the other question, it is always hard to tell if a breaking strength of
        950 pounds is the breaking strength or only a fraction of the breaking strength.
        However, if it holds without stretch, that will be enough. I think that
        hammocks pull with about 300 pounds of pull on each end the way I hang them.

        They certainly would not want me using it for a hammock if I asked.

        Rick
      • Mirage
        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 4, 2004
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, ra1@i... wrote:
          > From the beginning, I have always used Ed's method of hammock
          straps and find
          > significant advantages to 1 inch webbing. However, I find it
          harder and harder
          > to justify the 30 feet of webbing I have been carrying. It takes
          up a full
          > third of the bulk of my hammock. The weight is not inconsiderable.

          [snip...]
          > So I ordered 30 feet of it at $0.24 a foot. I think I will attach
          6-10 feet to
          > each end of a hammock and then use 1 inch webbing as a Hennessy
          Hammock style
          > tree hugger. (I would not use thin cord on a tree without
          protection.)

          This is what I have evolved to. I found the bulk and weight of the
          30 ft of webbing rather too much for my tastes. I used what I had
          to make two 10' "tree huggers" (rather long, but some trees here in
          the PNW really require it).

          I then whipped the hammock hanging lines on the end of the hammock,
          leaving about 10' of line to hang from on either end.

          > I also have a new (for me) and more elegent idea for attaching bug
          nets at the
          > ends of the hammock.

          As always, I am anxious to see and hear what new ideas are brewing
          in our ever intrepid experimentor extraordinaire.

          Shane "Mirage"...
        • Ray Garlington
          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 4, 2004
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Mirage" <mirage@p...> wrote:
            This is what I have evolved to. I found the bulk and weight of the
            30 ft of webbing rather too much for my tastes. I used what I had
            to make two 10' "tree huggers" (rather long, but some trees here in
            the PNW really require it).

            One thing about ropes & trees. I've noticed that most of the
            rubbing/friction is in the first 1/4 turn of the rope around the
            tree. By the time you get to ropes about 5/16" diameter there is no
            significant damage (but some slight cosmetic scraping). I made some
            pads to protect this 1/4 turn, and a similar idea might work on the
            thinner cords. You might try some thick wall tubing for that area
            to act as a pad.

            Concerning breaking strength: I found the following rule of thumb
            for nylon rope on the Internet. (I have observed that woven
            polyester rope seems to have slightly higher breaking strength than
            predicted by this formula.)

            breaking strength = <circumference of line in inches> x 2,400

            so
            1/8" cord - .3927" in circumference = 942 pounds breaking strength
            3/16" cord - .589" C = 1413
            1/4" rope - .75" C = 1809 pounds breaking strength
            5/16" rope - .98" C = 2356
            3/8" rope - 1.18" C = 2827 pounds breaking strength
          • moneymakerjk1
            Message 5 of 22 , Aug 4, 2004
              What about short sections of tubular nylon sling as a cover for the
              line as it goes around the tree? A one or two foot length wont weigh
              that much I suspect. I used to be a Ropes Course instructor, and the
              stuff is pretty hardy.

              jon
            • Ralph Oborn
              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 4, 2004
                To engineer the straps/ropes how big of a safety factor do you plan
                on?
                If I weigh 200 lbs. and hang at 40°. then my static load on each
                rope is 155 lbs. is a rope with 5oo lbs. breaking strength enough?
                1000 lbs? 1500 lbs?

                Message 7 of 22 , Aug 4, 2004
                  Mirage wrote:

                  >I then whipped the hammock hanging lines on the end of the hammock,
                  >leaving about 10' of line to hang from on either end.

                  Hey Mirage,

                  I was asleep at the wheel last month when y'all were talking about knots
                  for the hammock to rope junction. What is this whipping to 10 foot of
                  line knot that you use?

                  Message 8 of 22 , Aug 4, 2004
                    moneymakerjk1 wrote:

                    >What about short sections of tubular nylon sling as a cover for the
                    >line as it goes around the tree? A one or two foot length wont weigh
                    >that much I suspect. I used to be a Ropes Course instructor, and the
                    >stuff is pretty hardy.
                    >
                    >jon

                    Hi Jon,

                    I would want the weight to be suspended from the webbing against the
                    tree for two reasons:
                    - eliminate roll down
                    - spread weight across the full width of the webbing

                    I have used the Hennessy Hammock style tree huggers and think they are a
                    good solution. They are also easy to make at home. What this is, is a 2
                    or three foot piece of webbing with the ends folded over and sewn into a
                    loop. To tie the hammock up to the tree, the hugger is either wrapped
                    around the back of the tree (big tree) or wrapped a couple times around
                    a smaller tree, ending up with the two loops equidistant from the
                    hammock. Then the rope is passed through the loops and tied with a
                    hennessy hammock knot.

                    I would not think that passing the rope through a piece of tubular
                    webbing would do much to protect the tree from anything except abrasion
                    (which is not the damage I am concerned about) or to reduce roll down.
                    BTW, the damage I am concerned about is pressure damage to the live
                    cambrium layer under the bark.

                    Risk
                    Message 9 of 22 , Aug 4, 2004
                      Ralph Oborn wrote:

                      >To engineer the straps/ropes how big of a safety factor do you plan
                      >on?
                      >If I weigh 200 lbs. and hang at 40°. then my static load on each
                      >rope is 155 lbs. is a rope with 5oo lbs. breaking strength enough?
                      >1000 lbs? 1500 lbs?

                      Thus far I have done well with straps with a breaking strength of
                      300-600 pounds. I "figure" that with a breaking strength of 950 pounds,
                      the 3/32 T-100 cord is probably strong enough. All I know about stretch
                      is that the line is said to stretch less than one percent at 95 pounds
                      of tension.

                      Another cord I might think about would be the 1/8 inch Pulse Line which
                      is also about 900 pounds of strength.

                      This is just an experiment for me. I will not guess any conclusion
                      until I actually try it. I know that I will be *very* surprised if 3/32
                      inch cord is sufficient. But if it is, this offers considerable space
                      and weight savings, as well as a little cost savings.

                      Risk
                    • Mirage
                      Message 10 of 22 , Aug 4, 2004
                        > Mirage wrote:
                        >

                        > >I then whipped the hammock hanging lines on the end of the
                        hammock,
                        > >leaving about 10' of line to hang from on either end.
                        > >

                        > Hey Mirage,
                        >
                        > I was asleep at the wheel last month when y'all were talking about
                        knots
                        > for the hammock to rope junction. What is this whipping to 10
                        foot of
                        > line knot that you use?

                        Initially, I was using 1/8" polypro line to whip the folded ends
                        (instead of knots) together, then using a larks head from the straps
                        or rope to hang the hammock.

                        I just took it one step further, once I decided to go back to rope
                        and tree huggers. Instead of whipping with 1/8" line first, I just
                        use my 3/8 hang line and whipped it to the end, leaving the long end
                        comming out the end of the folds.

                        I'll post pics as soon I I get them back from my dads camera (I
                        borrowed my sons, and forgot it only has 16Mb and the pics turned
                        out poor as well).

                        Shane "Mirage"...
                      • Ray Garlington
                        Message 11 of 22 , Aug 5, 2004
                          <polecatpop@y...> wrote:
                          > To engineer the straps/ropes how big of a safety factor do you
                          plan
                          > on?

                          As a practical example: Hennessey uses line with a breaking
                          strength from about 1600 to 1800 pounds depending on the model. If
                          the webbing used by the Speerians really is 800 pound breaking
                          strength, and they are not reporting problems then you can see that
                          Tom has built in a large safety factor.

                          It will be interesting to see if Rick ends up risking the 3/32"
                          which is typically used for working loads around 100 pounds. On a
                          positive note, it seems like it should work if the webbing he's been
                          using really only goes to 800 pounds.
                        • Ray Garlington
                          Message 12 of 22 , Aug 5, 2004
                            > BTW, the damage I am concerned about is pressure damage to the
                            live
                            > cambrium layer under the bark.

                            Apx what pressure (in psi) will cause damage? We could calculate
                            (or measure) the localized pressure being generated at the outside
                            bark surface and stay above that figure. The exterior bark would
                            also act as padding serving primarily as a safety factor.

                            My experience with trees has been that they can survive quite well
                            even if cut through to the wood so long as decay does not start at
                            the injury site. You have to ring a tree most of the way around
                            (cut through the bark) to kill it.
                            Message 13 of 22 , Aug 5, 2004
                              <rgarling@y...> wrote:
                              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Oborn"
                              > <polecatpop@y...> wrote:
                              > > To engineer the straps/ropes how big of a safety factor do you
                              > plan
                              > > on?
                              >
                              > As a practical example: Hennessey uses line with a breaking
                              > strength from about 1600 to 1800 pounds depending on the model. If
                              > the webbing used by the Speerians really is 800 pound breaking
                              > strength, and they are not reporting problems then you can see that
                              > Tom has built in a large safety factor.

                              Ray, you overlooked something in your comparison. The Hennessy, with
                              its intergal ridgeline, generally puts more tension on the hammock
                              support ropes/straps because it typically is hung so that the hammock
                              support ropes/straps are more horizontally than a Speer hammock.
                              Sometimes, this difference in tension is quite severe and it is not
                              obvious that Hennessy is using a greater safety margin. This extra
                              tension would also carry over to the other discussion concerning tree
                              damage. (While the internal ridgeline does help in getting a
                              consistant 'hang', it is not without its drawbacks.)

                              Youngblood
                            • navjohn@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 22 , Aug 5, 2004

                                In a message dated 8/5/04 10:35:38 AM, rgarling@... writes:

                                My experience with trees has been that they can survive quite well
                                even if cut through to the wood so long as decay does not start at
                                the injury site.   You have to ring a tree most of the way around
                                (cut through the bark) to kill it.

                                Yes, but our goal should be leave no trace -- and this means no visible damage to trees.  Many public (and some private) campgrounds already have restrictions against tying anything to trees because of damage caused by careless campers.   Any scarring or bark loss, even if it causes no long-term damage to the tree, should be considered unacceptable to an ethical hammocker.
                                John Wilson
                              • ra1@imrisk.com
                                Message 15 of 22 , Aug 5, 2004
                                  Quoting navjohn@...:

                                  > In a message dated 8/5/04 10:35:38 AM, rgarling@... writes:
                                  >

                                  > > My experience with trees has been that they can survive quite well
                                  > > even if cut through to the wood so long as decay does not start at
                                  > > the injury site. You have to ring a tree most of the way around
                                  > > (cut through the bark) to kill it.
                                  > >

                                  > Yes, but our goal should be leave no trace -- and this means no visible
                                  > damage to trees. Many public (and some private) campgrounds already have
                                  > restrictions against tying anything to trees because of damage caused by
                                  > careless
                                  > campers. Any scarring or bark loss, even if it causes no long-term damage
                                  > the tree, should be considered unacceptable to an ethical hammocker.
                                  > John Wilson

                                  John,

                                  I agree that my concern is at a higher level than killing the tree - and I know
                                  Ray's is as well. I am concerned about scars from damage to any portion of the
                                  tree's live portion - under the bark.

                                  I am a little less worried about a little surface scrape of the outer bark,
                                  which is only some friction against the dead outer layer of the bark. But this
                                  is because I usually am using a tree that will seldom/never have another hammock
                                  hung from it.

                                  I guess it is not truely leave no trace, in the same way that stepping on grass
                                  is not actually leave no trace.

                                  Rick
                                • zippydooda
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Aug 5, 2004
                                    Hey Risk, as far as stretch, the amount of stretch per unit of load
                                    should be higher for the first unit of load than for subsequent
                                    units. Sorry, which means that if you get 1% stretch with the first
                                    95 lbs, that the next 95 pounds should be less than 1% stretch. So
                                    for 450 lbs, you are looking at maybe 4% stretch or less.

                                    Good luck with the experiment, and thanks for posting your ideas.
                                    Hopefully the knots you use won't reduce the ultimate tensile
                                    strength too much. Maybe put a big mattress under you when you do
                                    the testing ;-)

                                    Bill in Houston

                                  • Thomas Peltier@Goldenautomotive.com
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Aug 5, 2004
                                      Hey Risk, as far as stretch, the amount of stretch per unit of load
                                      should be higher for the first unit of load than for subsequent
                                      units. Sorry, which means that if you get 1% stretch with the first
                                      95 lbs, that the next 95 pounds should be less than 1% stretch. So
                                      for 450 lbs, you are looking at maybe 4% stretch or less.

                                      Good luck with the experiment, and thanks for posting your ideas.
                                      Hopefully the knots you use won't reduce the ultimate tensile
                                      strength too much. Maybe put a big mattress under you when you do
                                      the testing ;-)

                                      Bill in Houston

                                      Now I know that my climbing rope stretches much farther relatively on a
                                      long fall than a short one.

                                      Oh and I use a bouldering crash pad when I'm experimenting. Fortunately
                                      I have yet to need it.

                                      Tom

                                      P.s. Now were is that piece of wood... Ah yes,, knock knock
                                    • zippydooda
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Aug 5, 2004
                                        Yeah, I was afraid I wasn't making sense. The rope will stretch more
                                        as the load increases, you are right. It's just that in the first 95
                                        pounds (or whatever) the rope will stretch more, as the individual
                                        fibers and strands shift against each other and lay down flat against
                                        each other. One the rope is taut and all the strands are compacted
                                        against each other, it will be relatively more difficult to stretch.

                                        Bill in Houston

                                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Peltier@G..."

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Aug 6, 2004
                                          as the individual
                                          fibers and strands shift against each other and lay down flat against
                                          each other.
                                          _________________________

                                          Which would explain why short falls tend to be harder on ropes than long
                                          falls.

                                          Tom
                                        • rambler4466
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Aug 7, 2004
                                            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Peltier@G..."

                                            BTW Recently purchased 30' of 1" polypro. "heavy link" webbing. It
                                            weighs 5.5oz.

                                            Message 21 of 22 , Aug 20, 2004
                                              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Garlington"
                                              > <rgarling@y...> wrote:
                                              > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Oborn"
                                              > > <polecatpop@y...> wrote:
                                              > > > To engineer the straps/ropes how big of a safety factor do you
                                              > > plan
                                              > > > on?
                                              > >
                                              > > As a practical example: Hennessey uses line with a breaking
                                              > > strength from about 1600 to 1800 pounds depending on the model.
                                              If
                                              > > the webbing used by the Speerians really is 800 pound breaking
                                              > > strength, and they are not reporting problems then you can see
                                              that
                                              > > Tom has built in a large safety factor.
                                              > >

                                              > Ray, you overlooked something in your comparison. The Hennessy,
                                              with
                                              > its intergal ridgeline, generally puts more tension on the hammock
                                              > support ropes/straps because it typically is hung so that the
                                              hammock
                                              > support ropes/straps are more horizontally than a Speer hammock.
                                              > Sometimes, this difference in tension is quite severe and it is not
                                              > obvious that Hennessy is using a greater safety margin. This extra
                                              > tension would also carry over to the other discussion concerning
                                              tree
                                              > damage. (While the internal ridgeline does help in getting a
                                              > consistant 'hang', it is not without its drawbacks.)
                                              >
                                              > Youngblood

                                              Since this comes up from time to time, I decided to upload a MSExcel
                                              spreadsheet of mine that shows the results of the analysis I did of
                                              the forces associated with using an integral ridgeline. I hope it
                                              will clear up the point I was trying to make. Basically without an
                                              integral (or tensioned) ridgeline the forces are just Force 1... I
                                              try to hang my homemade versions of the Speer Hammock such that Angle
                                              1 is at 30 degrees or so. With the Hennessy Hammocks, Angle 1 is
                                              typically less (my guess is somewhere around 15 to 30 degrees?)...
                                              depending on how taut you tie the hammock. This means that Force 1
                                              might be higher when using hammocks with an intergral ridgeline and
                                              that the tension on that ridgeline can sometimes exceed the tension
                                              on the hammock ropes (ie, Force 3 exceeds Force 1 on my
                                              spreadsheet). My thinking is that the ridgeline cord may be the
                                              first thing to fail if a hammock with an intergral ridgeline is
                                              overstressed due to hanging it too taut, and I say this because my
                                              observation with the HH that I had was that the ridgeline cord was
                                              not as thick (and therefore not as strong) as the hammock ropes while
                                              my analysis (which hasn't been scrutinized) suggests that maybe it
                                              should be. The spreadsheet is in the Files section under my folder.

                                              Youngblood