Re: [Hammock Camping] BUG PROTECTION

  • BRIAN
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 4 6:44 AM
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Mark Bayern <mark@m...> wrote:

      > >Tom Hennessy, in the past, has maintained that his hammock
      material can not be
      > >penetrated by mosquitoes. This has not been my experience with
      single layer
      > >ripstop nylon hammocks in general.

      On HH's website, under the mosquito/jungle section, I found that
      they reccomend that you do not sleep bare skined against the hammock
      material and should at least wear clothes. I have tried Shane's
      suggestion from his web site and used a neetsheet under me. That
      makes it a little warm, but tolerable. The double wide one can be
      placed under me and still be used as a blanket. This is certainly
      enough for the temps where I live during the summer and fall months.
      Perhaps this is the easiest long term solution.

      Brian
    • BRIAN
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 11 4:49 PM
        <rgarling@y...> wrote:
        > One thing you could do that would be cheap & light is to get a
        > length of mosquito netting and cut it to fit the HH bottom (with a
        > little sag.) your attachment points could be the 4 corners of the
        > hammock. Just cut a slit to match the entry.

        I've attached a no-seeum netting to the bottom of my HH. What a
        project! I never realized that the geometry of something like this
        could be so complex. I'm going to try it tonite for the second
        time. The first time I had to make a run for the house because part
        of the net was touching the hammock and I was being eaten alive.
        After some adjustments I think it's ready for another test. Tonite
        will be my last chance for awhile since we seem to have a hurricane
        heading toward Florida. If it works I will post some pics in the
        next few days.
        Thanks again for all the ideas.
      • BRIAN
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 27 7:28 PM
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "BRIAN" <opnheartscrub@t...>
          wrote:
          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Garlington"
          > <rgarling@y...> wrote:
          > > One thing you could do that would be cheap & light is to get a
          > > length of mosquito netting and cut it to fit the HH bottom (with
          > > little sag.) your attachment points could be the 4 corners of
          the
          > > hammock. Just cut a slit to match the entry.

          If it works I will post some pics in the
          > next few days.
          > Thanks again for all the ideas.

          I've finally uploaded some pics in the folder "Brian from Tampa (HH
          mods)". I still need to label them and provide an explanation for
          each one. I'll work on that tomorrow. The netting seems to work
          well as does the fly. Thanks for the ideas.

          Brian
        • Jerry Goller
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 29 6:39 PM
            Message
            Hennessy is also now offering their SuperShelter now. It has a silnylon bottom piece that is slightly larger and the same shape as the hammock. It not only cuts the wind, it stops mosquitoes too.
            Jerry

            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 30 4:16 AM
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Goller"
              <jerrygoller@b...> wrote:
              > Hennessy is also now offering their SuperShelter now. It has a
              silnylon
              > bottom piece that is slightly larger and the same shape as the
              hammock. It
              > not only cuts the wind, it stops mosquitoes too.
              > Jerry

              Thanks but the windstopping ability is what I'm trying to get away
              from. With the bottom netting, the slightest breeze is very cooling.
              On the other hand, this is certainly something I will look at during
              the cooler months when the mosquitos are still out and about.

              Brian
            • Jerry Goller
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 30 10:36 AM
                Message
                Good point. I tend to forget that as I spend most of my time in the mountains and heat at night isn't all that much of a problem... ;o) Have you tried soaking your hammock in Permethrin? Although I've not tried it for my hammock, I've used it for a couple of years on my clothes with very good results. You can get it much cheaper at Home Depot. Look for yard insecticides. Cutter and Ortho both make it. One of the product names is Yard Guard.
                Jerry

                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 30 11:27 AM
                  <jerrygoller@b...> wrote:
                  > Good point. I tend to forget that as I spend most of my time in the
                  > mountains and heat at night isn't all that much of a
                  problem... ;o) Have you
                  > tried soaking your hammock in Permethrin? Although I've not tried
                  it for my
                  > hammock, I've used it for a couple of years on my clothes with
                  very good
                  > results. You can get it much cheaper at Home Depot. Look for yard
                  > insecticides. Cutter and Ortho both make it. One of the product
                  names is
                  > Yard Guard.
                  > Jerry

                  I tried permethrin on the hammock fabric but found that I still get
                  bit. Maybe the little buggers get in a couple of stabs before they
                  die. I have sprayed my nets to stop so many of them from buzzing
                  me. I'm going to check out the Yard Guard. Do you know the
                  strength? It would be great to find a less expensive source in ready
                  to spray form.

                  Brian
                • ra1@imrisk.com
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 30 11:38 AM
                    Brian,

                    I believe it is 2.5 percent and costs about 9 bucks for a big bottle.

                    Rick

                    Quoting BRIAN <opnheartscrub@...>:

                    > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Goller"
                    > <jerrygoller@b...> wrote:
                    > > Good point. I tend to forget that as I spend most of my time in the
                    > > mountains and heat at night isn't all that much of a
                    > problem... ;o) Have you
                    > > tried soaking your hammock in Permethrin? Although I've not tried
                    > it for my
                    > > hammock, I've used it for a couple of years on my clothes with
                    > very good
                    > > results. You can get it much cheaper at Home Depot. Look for yard
                    > > insecticides. Cutter and Ortho both make it. One of the product
                    > names is
                    > > Yard Guard.
                    > > Jerry
                    >
                    > I tried permethrin on the hammock fabric but found that I still get
                    > bit. Maybe the little buggers get in a couple of stabs before they
                    > die. I have sprayed my nets to stop so many of them from buzzing
                    > me. I'm going to check out the Yard Guard. Do you know the
                    > strength? It would be great to find a less expensive source in ready
                    > to spray form.
                    >
                    > Brian
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Jerry Goller
                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 30 12:01 PM
                      Message
                      It is a liquid at 2.5%. While it was designed to be connected to a garden hose to spray it, I just soak my clothes directly.
                      Interesting that the bugs bit right through the permethrin. What concentration did you use?
                      Jerry

                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 30 4:29 PM
                        <jerrygoller@b...> wrote:
                        > It is a liquid at 2.5%. While it was designed to be connected to a
                        garden
                        > hose to spray it, I just soak my clothes directly.
                        > Interesting that the bugs bit right through the permethrin. What
                        > concentration did you use?
                        > Jerry

                        Jerry and Rick
                        It appears mine is only 0.5%. It is in a 6 oz. spray can and called
                        Repel Permanone. Is it supposed to kill upon contact?

                        Brian
                      • Jerry Goller
                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 30 4:58 PM
                          Message
                          As I understand it, yes. What usually happens is they don't come near me. I assume they can sense the permethrin.
                          Jerry