Re: [Hammock Camping] Silk Hammock & thaisilks

  • Bill Fornshell
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 3, 2004
      Are you going to make a Speer type Hammock? If you
      sew anywhere in the body of the hammock it acts like
      the perforation between stamps and will tear along the
      stitch line. If you just knot the ends you should
      have no problems. You can sew the Velcro on the edge
      of the hammock for the bug net.

      The silk gauze works well for the bug net. I think
      the silk is a finer mesh than the noseeum stuff. You
      can call Thai Silks and ask for a sample of the gauze.
      They are real nice about that and they have a 1-800
      number. I am sure at your weight the 8mm will work
      fine. I am still careful how I get in an out of my
      hammock. Some of that is out of respect for the
      Hammock maker (Hi Ed).

      I will try the Woolite idea.
      Bill

      --- Paul Kaercher <yomas_1@...> wrote:

      Bill
      Much obliged for the detailed and timely information.
      It seems like 8mm silk will work for my 166 lb.
      carcass.

      Do you find the silk gauze to be noseeum proof?
      I intend to treat the gauze with permethrin so even
      if the gauze is not midge proof they probably would
      not survive crawling through the netting.

      BTW- I add some liquid woolite to the 0.5% permethrin
      solution. This reduces the surface tension of the
      liquid
      resulting in the netting being thoroughly wetted and
      retaining more liquid during the drying process. This
      presumably will result in the netting having more
      permethrin attached to it when dry.

      Paul

      http://messenger.yahoo.com