Re: Waking with a sore throat..

  • ccp5655
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 3, 2004
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ghman777" <ghman777@y...> wrote:
      > I must sleep with my mouth open because I wake up early with a dry
      > sore throat. Worse in cold dry weather. I cover myself almost
      > completely with my Pea Pod to keep the breathing air warm, but Id
      > much rather be more out in the open in warm weather. My quilt doesnt
      > stay over my head but really dont want it to anyway. Besides duct
      > tape.. anyone identify or have any solutions?

      I have the same problem, but I think it's from breathing the colder,
      drier air than I'm used to. I use a fleece neckwarmer pulled up over
      my mouth and nose. The moisture from my breath condenses on the fleece
      when I exhale and evaporates when I inhale. This helps humidify the
      air I breath.

      Clark
    • ra1@imrisk.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 3, 2004
        Quoting ccp5655 <cpeters41@...>:

        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ghman777" <ghman777@y...> wrote:
        > > I must sleep with my mouth open because I wake up early with a dry
        > > sore throat. Worse in cold dry weather. I cover myself almost
        > > completely with my Pea Pod to keep the breathing air warm, but Id
        > > much rather be more out in the open in warm weather. My quilt doesnt
        > > stay over my head but really dont want it to anyway. Besides duct
        > > tape.. anyone identify or have any solutions?
        >
        > I have the same problem, but I think it's from breathing the colder,
        > drier air than I'm used to. I use a fleece neckwarmer pulled up over
        > my mouth and nose. The moisture from my breath condenses on the fleece
        > when I exhale and evaporates when I inhale. This helps humidify the
        > air I breath.
        >
        > Clark

        I tested a commercial balaclava that works very well with dry cold air.

        What I said in the report was:

        "The balaclava keeps me warm from the inside out. The counter-current moisture
        and heat saving module keeps my mouth and throat warm. I do not find myself
        coughing on difficult hill climbs, like I have in the past when the air was very
        cold.

        During my cold weather overnights, I sleep with the balaclava covering my nose
        and mouth. Wearing the balaclava in very cold weather helps my sleep. The
        coughing I often have had in the past when sleeping outdoors, because of dry
        throat in the cold, is eliminated. Sleeping with it over my mouth has very
        occasionally given me a bit of a panic, waking to thoughts I am being
        suffocated. It does take some getting used to while sleeping, before setting
        forth for a long adventure."

        The report is here:

        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Clothing/Hats/Psolar%20Balaclava/Rick%20Allnutt%20III/Long%20Term%20Report/

        Risk