Waking with a sore throat..

  • ghman777
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2, 2004
      I must sleep with my mouth open because I wake up early with a dry
      sore throat. Worse in cold dry weather. I cover myself almost
      completely with my Pea Pod to keep the breathing air warm, but Id
      much rather be more out in the open in warm weather. My quilt doesnt
      stay over my head but really dont want it to anyway. Besides duct
      tape.. anyone identify or have any solutions?
    • ccp5655
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 3, 2004
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ghman777" <ghman777@y...> wrote:
        > I must sleep with my mouth open because I wake up early with a dry
        > sore throat. Worse in cold dry weather. I cover myself almost
        > completely with my Pea Pod to keep the breathing air warm, but Id
        > much rather be more out in the open in warm weather. My quilt doesnt
        > stay over my head but really dont want it to anyway. Besides duct
        > tape.. anyone identify or have any solutions?

        I have the same problem, but I think it's from breathing the colder,
        drier air than I'm used to. I use a fleece neckwarmer pulled up over
        my mouth and nose. The moisture from my breath condenses on the fleece
        when I exhale and evaporates when I inhale. This helps humidify the
        air I breath.

        Clark
      • ra1@imrisk.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 3, 2004
          Quoting ccp5655 <cpeters41@...>:

          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ghman777" <ghman777@y...> wrote:
          > > I must sleep with my mouth open because I wake up early with a dry
          > > sore throat. Worse in cold dry weather. I cover myself almost
          > > completely with my Pea Pod to keep the breathing air warm, but Id
          > > much rather be more out in the open in warm weather. My quilt doesnt
          > > stay over my head but really dont want it to anyway. Besides duct
          > > tape.. anyone identify or have any solutions?
          >
          > I have the same problem, but I think it's from breathing the colder,
          > drier air than I'm used to. I use a fleece neckwarmer pulled up over
          > my mouth and nose. The moisture from my breath condenses on the fleece
          > when I exhale and evaporates when I inhale. This helps humidify the
          > air I breath.
          >
          > Clark

          I tested a commercial balaclava that works very well with dry cold air.

          What I said in the report was:

          "The balaclava keeps me warm from the inside out. The counter-current moisture
          and heat saving module keeps my mouth and throat warm. I do not find myself
          coughing on difficult hill climbs, like I have in the past when the air was very
          cold.

          During my cold weather overnights, I sleep with the balaclava covering my nose
          and mouth. Wearing the balaclava in very cold weather helps my sleep. The
          coughing I often have had in the past when sleeping outdoors, because of dry
          throat in the cold, is eliminated. Sleeping with it over my mouth has very
          occasionally given me a bit of a panic, waking to thoughts I am being
          suffocated. It does take some getting used to while sleeping, before setting
          forth for a long adventure."

          The report is here:

          http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Clothing/Hats/Psolar%20Balaclava/Rick%20Allnutt%20III/Long%20Term%20Report/

          Risk