Re: [Hammock Camping] Trip Report

  • SF Nazdarovye
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 2, 2004
      I'll look forward to seeing the pics - and would love to hear more
      about your super-light hammock setup. Have you described the materials
      and construction earlier here, or posted them anywhere?

      - Steve

      (Like your shameless plug as well - I know we all would love more
      testers!)

      On Aug 2, 2004, at 3:56 PM, Mirage wrote:

      > I grew up in the Catskills, foot hills of the Adirondacks, but still
      > vividly remember my Mt. Marcy summit, treks on Indian Head, Mt.
      > Baker and other forgoten peaks and a week spent canoeing on the
      > Saranac lake system.
      >
      > While I miss some of the scenery and trails (not the black flies), I
      > just spent a weekend up in Jeffereson Park, an alpine meadow/plateu,
      > at ~6000ft. on a section of the PCT, on the northern side of Mt.
      > Jefferson in the Oregon Cascades.
    • Mirage
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 2, 2004
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, SF Nazdarovye
        <nazdarovye@y...> wrote:
        > I'll look forward to seeing the pics - and would love to hear more
        > about your super-light hammock setup. Have you described the
        materials
        > and construction earlier here, or posted them anywhere?
        >
        > - Steve

        Steve,

        No, I've not yet posted pics or construction details, not for lack
        of intent.

        I've been so busy designing and constructing that my efforts to
        document online have fallen behind. I desperately need to
        reorganize my website and make more useful and descriptive.

        The hammock is 1.1oz nylon, folded ends, whipped with the hang lines
        (3/8" poly line), 10' poly pro webbing "tree huggers", and home made
        snake skins. The hammock rough dimensions are 8'x4', although I
        believe I will add another 6" to the length in my next interation.

        The bug netting is hard top describe, but will hopefully be clear
        from the pictures (when I post them). It wraps around the outside
        of the underquilt/peapod, but does not completely enclose it (like I
        said, hard to describe).

        You've seen my cat tarps before, nothing new there.

        Suprisingly, the ranger on duty this weekend had never seen anyone
        use a hammock for over night sleeping!! She was very impressed with
        the concept and how light it and compact it was.

        Shane "mirage"...