Re: [Hammock Camping] Trip Report

  • Mirage
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 2, 2004
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, SF Nazdarovye
      <nazdarovye@y...> wrote:
      > Rick - fun to read your report!
      >
      > Welcome to the world of the Adirondacks - that's where I grew up
      and
      > got my love of backpacking; though there may be higher mountains
      > elsewhere, the peaks there offer some true challenges. And it's
      > definitely a hammocker's paradise.

      I grew up in the Catskills, foot hills of the Adirondacks, but still
      vividly remember my Mt. Marcy summit, treks on Indian Head, Mt.
      Baker and other forgoten peaks and a week spent canoeing on the
      Saranac lake system.

      While I miss some of the scenery and trails (not the black flies), I
      just spent a weekend up in Jeffereson Park, an alpine meadow/plateu,
      at ~6000ft. on a section of the PCT, on the northern side of Mt.
      Jefferson in the Oregon Cascades.

      It was the most beautiful hiking weather I can EVER remember during
      a hike. I was testing out my DIY hammock system (4.3oz hammock,
      5.7oz bug netting and 12oz tarp, plus lines). Also testing my DIY
      underquilt and recently completed Kennebec pull-over from Ayce at
      thru-hiker.com.

      I'll post pics as soon as I get them off the cameras and on the
      web.

      <Shameless BGT plug>
      What a great weekend to be testing gear for BGT
      (http://www.backpackgeartest.org).
      </Shameless BGT plug)

      Shane "Mirage"...
    • SF Nazdarovye
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 2, 2004
        I'll look forward to seeing the pics - and would love to hear more
        about your super-light hammock setup. Have you described the materials
        and construction earlier here, or posted them anywhere?

        - Steve

        (Like your shameless plug as well - I know we all would love more
        testers!)

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 2, 2004
          <nazdarovye@y...> wrote:
          > I'll look forward to seeing the pics - and would love to hear more
          > about your super-light hammock setup. Have you described the
          materials
          > and construction earlier here, or posted them anywhere?
          >
          > - Steve

          Steve,

          No, I've not yet posted pics or construction details, not for lack
          of intent.

          I've been so busy designing and constructing that my efforts to
          document online have fallen behind. I desperately need to
          reorganize my website and make more useful and descriptive.

          The hammock is 1.1oz nylon, folded ends, whipped with the hang lines
          (3/8" poly line), 10' poly pro webbing "tree huggers", and home made
          snake skins. The hammock rough dimensions are 8'x4', although I
          believe I will add another 6" to the length in my next interation.

          The bug netting is hard top describe, but will hopefully be clear
          from the pictures (when I post them). It wraps around the outside
          of the underquilt/peapod, but does not completely enclose it (like I
          said, hard to describe).

          You've seen my cat tarps before, nothing new there.

          Suprisingly, the ranger on duty this weekend had never seen anyone
          use a hammock for over night sleeping!! She was very impressed with
          the concept and how light it and compact it was.

          Shane "mirage"...