Re: [Hammock Camping] Speer Hammock Design

  • Karen Sousa
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 2, 2004
      The other option I often use is to leave the bug net in place and
      close the PeaPod for about 4 inches on either end. This draws the
      edges close enough together that the sides of the hammock are
      protected from drafts, but its not so warm that you are roasting
      during those transition temp nights.

      This is the method I used the night we had skeeters so bad I
      coulnd't sleep because they were so loud! I didn't get a single bite
      that night and stayed toasty warm.

      Karen

      >Instead I generally remove the bug net from one side of the
      >hammock and then just partially secure the PeaPod around me and the
      >hammock leaving a large breather hole--then I use the bug net by
      >pulling it over me without the ridgeline to cover the breather
      >hole, tucking the loose edge of the bug net down between the PeaPod
      and the hammock. >
    • dlfrost_1
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 4, 2004
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, navjohn@a... wrote:
        > In a message dated 8/2/04 12:45:17 PM, mattyg225@y... writes:
        > > Would it be possible to alternate the Velcro type on the hammock
        or
        > > the pea pod so that the pod seals to both sides of the hammock
        when
        > > it is not fully sealed up?
        > >
        > Matt, how would it work to take two 8-foot strips of adhesive-
        backed Velcro
        > (both hook), and stick them together -- making in effect a "double-
        sided"
        > Velcro strip, with hooks on both sides. If you then placed this
        against to loop
        > side of the hammock, it would convert it to hooks, giving you the
        alternative
        > you're seeking without permanently altering the hammock -- just
        take the
        > "adapter" off when you want to use the bug net.
        >
        > Haven't actually tried this -- just a thought.
        >
        > John Wilson

        What I was going to suggest is using 3M's Bundling Wrap as a sort of
        Velcro gender-changer. It's a back-to-back hook-and-loop strip that
        comes on a 9 foot roll off of which you cut what you need. Get it at
        WalMart for a couple of bucks. It's great for tent poles, stakes,
        rope & straps, etcetera. Only thing is that it might not grip
        strongly enough, so it needs to be tested.

        Doug Frost
      • Matt Pulsts
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 4, 2004
          Wouldnt it be easier to just sew opposite strips to the side if the hammock?
          Look at it this way: Im laying down in my hammock with peapod installed.
          In my left hand is the hook side and inn my right hand is the loop side.
          They press together to seal the pod around me.

          Now, on the edges of the hammock I sew velcro so i have a strip of "loop" on
          the left edge of the hammock and "hook" on the right edge. I can open the
          peapod and attach its strips to the hammock strips leaving the top open.

          Of course, this would also allow the hammock itself to be sealed closed..
          hmmm.

          Matt

          - I dont have a speer hammock or a peapod so i might be wrong in the way it
          operated in the first place but i think this is the general idea...

          > > > Would it be possible to alternate the Velcro type on the hammock
          > or
          > > > the pea pod so that the pod seals to both sides of the hammock
          > when
          > > > it is not fully sealed up?
          > > >
          > > Matt, how would it work to take two 8-foot strips of adhesive-
          > backed Velcro
          > > (both hook), and stick them together -- making in effect a "double-
          > sided"
          > > Velcro strip, with hooks on both sides. If you then placed this
          > against to loop
          > > side of the hammock, it would convert it to hooks, giving you the
          > alternative
          > > you're seeking without permanently altering the hammock -- just
          > take the
          > > "adapter" off when you want to use the bug net.
          > >
          > > Haven't actually tried this -- just a thought.
          > >
          > > John Wilson
          >
          > What I was going to suggest is using 3M's Bundling Wrap as a sort of
          > Velcro gender-changer. It's a back-to-back hook-and-loop strip that
          > comes on a 9 foot roll off of which you cut what you need. Get it at
          > WalMart for a couple of bucks. It's great for tent poles, stakes,
          > rope & straps, etcetera. Only thing is that it might not grip
          > strongly enough, so it needs to be tested.
          >
          > Doug Frost
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Ralph Oborn
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 4, 2004
            My scouts are already tryiny to figure out how to tie me into my
            hammock why make it real easy. :]

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Pulsts" <mvpulsts@e...>
            wrote:

            > Of course, this would also allow the hammock itself to be sealed
            closed..
            > hmmm.
            >
            > Matt

          • Shane Steinkamp
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 4, 2004
              > My scouts are already tryiny to figure out how to tie me into
              > my hammock why make it real easy. :]

              I'll be happy to supply them with duct tape. ;)

              Shane
            • navjohn@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 5, 2004

                In a message dated 8/4/04 10:39:07 PM, mvpulsts@... writes:

                Wouldnt it be easier to just sew opposite strips to the side if the hammock?

                Easier, yes, but other problems would arise.  As Ed pointed out in his book and earlier in this discussion, hook Velcro likes to grab anything fuzzy that comes in contact with it -- hats, fleece blankets, etc.  That's why he uses loop on both sides of the hammock body. The discussion has been how to keep the advantage of two sides of loop, yet still be able to attach a peapod.
              • mattyg225
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 8, 2004
                  Thanks for all of the suggestions. I am definately going to try out
                  the two sided velcro that was suggested.