Re: [Hammock Camping] Speer Hammock Design

  • navjohn@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 2 11:21 AM

      In a message dated 8/2/04 12:45:17 PM, mattyg225@... writes:

      Would it be possible to alternate the Velcro type on the hammock or
      the pea pod so that the pod seals to both sides of the hammock when
      it is not fully sealed up?

      Matt, how would it work to take two 8-foot strips of adhesive-backed Velcro (both hook), and stick them together -- making in effect a "double-sided" Velcro strip, with hooks on both sides.  If you then placed this against to loop side of the hammock, it would convert it to hooks, giving you the alternative you're seeking without permanently altering the hammock -- just take the "adapter" off when you want to use the bug net.

      Haven't actually tried this -- just a thought.

      John Wilson
    • Karen Sousa
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 2 1:00 PM
        The other option I often use is to leave the bug net in place and
        close the PeaPod for about 4 inches on either end. This draws the
        edges close enough together that the sides of the hammock are
        protected from drafts, but its not so warm that you are roasting
        during those transition temp nights.

        This is the method I used the night we had skeeters so bad I
        coulnd't sleep because they were so loud! I didn't get a single bite
        that night and stayed toasty warm.

        Karen

        >Instead I generally remove the bug net from one side of the
        >hammock and then just partially secure the PeaPod around me and the
        >hammock leaving a large breather hole--then I use the bug net by
        >pulling it over me without the ridgeline to cover the breather
        >hole, tucking the loose edge of the bug net down between the PeaPod
        and the hammock. >
      • dlfrost_1
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 4 5:13 AM
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, navjohn@a... wrote:
          > In a message dated 8/2/04 12:45:17 PM, mattyg225@y... writes:
          > > Would it be possible to alternate the Velcro type on the hammock
          or
          > > the pea pod so that the pod seals to both sides of the hammock
          when
          > > it is not fully sealed up?
          > >
          > Matt, how would it work to take two 8-foot strips of adhesive-
          backed Velcro
          > (both hook), and stick them together -- making in effect a "double-
          sided"
          > Velcro strip, with hooks on both sides. If you then placed this
          against to loop
          > side of the hammock, it would convert it to hooks, giving you the
          alternative
          > you're seeking without permanently altering the hammock -- just
          take the
          > "adapter" off when you want to use the bug net.
          >
          > Haven't actually tried this -- just a thought.
          >
          > John Wilson

          What I was going to suggest is using 3M's Bundling Wrap as a sort of
          Velcro gender-changer. It's a back-to-back hook-and-loop strip that
          comes on a 9 foot roll off of which you cut what you need. Get it at
          WalMart for a couple of bucks. It's great for tent poles, stakes,
          rope & straps, etcetera. Only thing is that it might not grip
          strongly enough, so it needs to be tested.

          Doug Frost
        • Matt Pulsts
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 4 7:38 PM
            Wouldnt it be easier to just sew opposite strips to the side if the hammock?
            Look at it this way: Im laying down in my hammock with peapod installed.
            In my left hand is the hook side and inn my right hand is the loop side.
            They press together to seal the pod around me.

            Now, on the edges of the hammock I sew velcro so i have a strip of "loop" on
            the left edge of the hammock and "hook" on the right edge. I can open the
            peapod and attach its strips to the hammock strips leaving the top open.

            Of course, this would also allow the hammock itself to be sealed closed..
            hmmm.

            Matt

            - I dont have a speer hammock or a peapod so i might be wrong in the way it
            operated in the first place but i think this is the general idea...

            > > > Would it be possible to alternate the Velcro type on the hammock
            > or
            > > > the pea pod so that the pod seals to both sides of the hammock
            > when
            > > > it is not fully sealed up?
            > > >
            > > Matt, how would it work to take two 8-foot strips of adhesive-
            > backed Velcro
            > > (both hook), and stick them together -- making in effect a "double-
            > sided"
            > > Velcro strip, with hooks on both sides. If you then placed this
            > against to loop
            > > side of the hammock, it would convert it to hooks, giving you the
            > alternative
            > > you're seeking without permanently altering the hammock -- just
            > take the
            > > "adapter" off when you want to use the bug net.
            > >
            > > Haven't actually tried this -- just a thought.
            > >
            > > John Wilson
            >
            > What I was going to suggest is using 3M's Bundling Wrap as a sort of
            > Velcro gender-changer. It's a back-to-back hook-and-loop strip that
            > comes on a 9 foot roll off of which you cut what you need. Get it at
            > WalMart for a couple of bucks. It's great for tent poles, stakes,
            > rope & straps, etcetera. Only thing is that it might not grip
            > strongly enough, so it needs to be tested.
            >
            > Doug Frost
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Ralph Oborn
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 4 8:10 PM
              My scouts are already tryiny to figure out how to tie me into my
              hammock why make it real easy. :]

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Pulsts" <mvpulsts@e...>
              wrote:

              > Of course, this would also allow the hammock itself to be sealed
              closed..
              > hmmm.
              >
              > Matt

            • Shane Steinkamp
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 4 8:15 PM
                > My scouts are already tryiny to figure out how to tie me into
                > my hammock why make it real easy. :]

                I'll be happy to supply them with duct tape. ;)

                Shane
              • navjohn@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 5 4:20 AM

                  In a message dated 8/4/04 10:39:07 PM, mvpulsts@... writes:

                  Wouldnt it be easier to just sew opposite strips to the side if the hammock?

                  Easier, yes, but other problems would arise.  As Ed pointed out in his book and earlier in this discussion, hook Velcro likes to grab anything fuzzy that comes in contact with it -- hats, fleece blankets, etc.  That's why he uses loop on both sides of the hammock body. The discussion has been how to keep the advantage of two sides of loop, yet still be able to attach a peapod.
                • mattyg225
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 8 8:15 PM
                    Thanks for all of the suggestions. I am definately going to try out
                    the two sided velcro that was suggested.