Re: [Hammock Camping] BUG PROTECTION

  • ra1@imrisk.com
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 2, 2004
      Quoting jonas4321@...:

      > Risk-
      >
      > Your statement:
      >
      > > Tom Hennessy, in the past, has maintained that his hammock material
      > > can not be penetrated by mosquitos. This has not been my experience
      > with
      > > single layer ripstop nylon hammocks in general.
      >
      > Does this mean that a double-bottom ripstop hammock is impervious to
      > mosquitos?

      I have not used any of my double bottom hammocks without a pad. I do not use a
      pad under my lower legs, but my quilt goes all the way around my legs below my
      knees. The time I slept all night without a pad was in a single layer 1.9 oz
      ripstop hammock, I did get a couple bites on my back, I believe through the
      fabric. I was bare backed against the single layer of fabric on that occasion.

      I do not know if wearing a shirt or using a double bottom hammock would decrease
      the number of successful mosquitoes. I do know that using permethrin on the
      hammock and the bugnetting helps to chase the fellers away before they settle
      down for dinner.

      Risk
    • BRIAN
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 3, 2004
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "BRIAN" <opnheartscrub@t...>

        Thanks for all the replies. I bought a can of pyrethrin last night
        and I will spray the hammock today. I might try and sleep in it
        tonight if I feel like it (I just had major back surgery on the 21st
        of last month). I know as you've said, the bottoms are supposed to
        be mosquito-proof but the weave of my asym is open enough that I can
        see through it when I am inside. If this works for me I will
        purchase a larger bottle from the insecticide aisle and delute it
        down to the correct solution for retreating as needed.

        Brian
      • Ray Garlington
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 3, 2004
          wrote:
          > the bottoms are supposed to
          > be mosquito-proof but the weave of my asym is open enough that I
          can
          > see through it when I am inside.

          One thing you could do that would be cheap & light is to get a
          length of mosquito netting and cut it to fit the HH bottom (with a
          little sag.) your attachment points could be the 4 corners of the
          hammock. Just cut a slit to match the entry.
        • zippydooda
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 3, 2004
            Hey, I think the spray you want would be permethrin, not pyrethrin.
            Permethrin is the one recommended by the WHO to keep bugs off of
            people. Pyrethrin is used for killing fleas on pets.

            I like the bug net idea better but it might be tough to come up with
            a solution for the entry hole. If you just made overlapping flaps
            that would close up after you got it, that would probably work fine.

            Good luck.

            Bill in Houston

            wrote:
            > Hello all:
            >
            > I've been lurking here for some time and now I need an opinion(s)
            on
            > the subject of mosquitos. I live in Tampa, Fl. and have found my
            HH
            > Expedition Asym to be the coolest alternative when camping in the
            > summer heat. The problem I'm having is that the mosquitos also
            > enjoy my summertime setup and suck blood from me through the
            hammock
            > bottom. How can I stop them without putting another layer under me
            > which would make me even hotter? Does perethrin kill them on
            > contact or would they still have a chance to bite before they die?
            > I thought about some netting suspended just below the hammock but I
            > thought I would ask here first. Any help is welcome. Thanks.
            >
            > Brian
          • neptuneuu
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 3, 2004
              I'm increasingly confused by the Permethrin discussion. somewhere
              on the web, I had seen a site, us.mil domain I think, that indicated
              that Permethrin used on clothing must be of the type specifically
              designed for that use, so that the carrier substance was compatible
              to sticking the active ingredient on to fibers, and that the type
              intended for agricultural use would do little good on clothing, just
              wash away. If there are any technical experts out there, please
              help dispell this fog. I've heard from ex-mil friends that they
              used to use kits of liquid Permethrin with a large plastic bag to
              soak a set of clothing in, then removed and let dry after a good
              soak. The web site I saw (now lost, unfortunately) indicated that
              mil was now using an industrial scale large batch treatment method,
              partially to avoid soldier exposure to the liquid permethrin.

              does anyone know:
              1. are all permethrin solutions equal when using on clothing?
              2. what level of concentration should be used (Sawyer and other
              consumer products seem to use 0.5% solution, yard-intended
              treatments from Ortho is 2.5%)?
              3. Is there a cost-saving source of clothing compatible permethrin?
              I have a family-sized set of clothes to treatplus tents, hammocks,
              etc, so I hate to pay $7-8 per set of clothes or equivalent. I'd
              easily spend $100 treating evverything I'd like to.

              Thanks in advance for the expertise

              Rick in FL
            • BRIAN
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 4, 2004
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Mark Bayern <mark@m...> wrote:

                > >Tom Hennessy, in the past, has maintained that his hammock
                material can not be
                > >penetrated by mosquitoes. This has not been my experience with
                single layer
                > >ripstop nylon hammocks in general.

                On HH's website, under the mosquito/jungle section, I found that
                they reccomend that you do not sleep bare skined against the hammock
                material and should at least wear clothes. I have tried Shane's
                suggestion from his web site and used a neetsheet under me. That
                makes it a little warm, but tolerable. The double wide one can be
                placed under me and still be used as a blanket. This is certainly
                enough for the temps where I live during the summer and fall months.
                Perhaps this is the easiest long term solution.

                Brian
              • BRIAN
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 11, 2004
                  <rgarling@y...> wrote:
                  > One thing you could do that would be cheap & light is to get a
                  > length of mosquito netting and cut it to fit the HH bottom (with a
                  > little sag.) your attachment points could be the 4 corners of the
                  > hammock. Just cut a slit to match the entry.

                  I've attached a no-seeum netting to the bottom of my HH. What a
                  project! I never realized that the geometry of something like this
                  could be so complex. I'm going to try it tonite for the second
                  time. The first time I had to make a run for the house because part
                  of the net was touching the hammock and I was being eaten alive.
                  After some adjustments I think it's ready for another test. Tonite
                  will be my last chance for awhile since we seem to have a hurricane
                  heading toward Florida. If it works I will post some pics in the
                  next few days.
                  Thanks again for all the ideas.
                • BRIAN
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 27, 2004
                    wrote:
                    > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Garlington"
                    > <rgarling@y...> wrote:
                    > > One thing you could do that would be cheap & light is to get a
                    > > length of mosquito netting and cut it to fit the HH bottom (with
                    > > little sag.) your attachment points could be the 4 corners of
                    the
                    > > hammock. Just cut a slit to match the entry.

                    If it works I will post some pics in the
                    > next few days.
                    > Thanks again for all the ideas.

                    I've finally uploaded some pics in the folder "Brian from Tampa (HH
                    mods)". I still need to label them and provide an explanation for
                    each one. I'll work on that tomorrow. The netting seems to work
                    well as does the fly. Thanks for the ideas.

                    Brian
                  • Jerry Goller
                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 29, 2004
                      Message
                      Hennessy is also now offering their SuperShelter now. It has a silnylon bottom piece that is slightly larger and the same shape as the hammock. It not only cuts the wind, it stops mosquitoes too.
                      Jerry

                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 30, 2004
                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Goller"
                        <jerrygoller@b...> wrote:
                        > Hennessy is also now offering their SuperShelter now. It has a
                        silnylon
                        > bottom piece that is slightly larger and the same shape as the
                        hammock. It
                        > not only cuts the wind, it stops mosquitoes too.
                        > Jerry

                        Thanks but the windstopping ability is what I'm trying to get away
                        from. With the bottom netting, the slightest breeze is very cooling.
                        On the other hand, this is certainly something I will look at during
                        the cooler months when the mosquitos are still out and about.

                        Brian
                      • Jerry Goller
                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 30, 2004
                          Message
                          Good point. I tend to forget that as I spend most of my time in the mountains and heat at night isn't all that much of a problem... ;o) Have you tried soaking your hammock in Permethrin? Although I've not tried it for my hammock, I've used it for a couple of years on my clothes with very good results. You can get it much cheaper at Home Depot. Look for yard insecticides. Cutter and Ortho both make it. One of the product names is Yard Guard.
                          Jerry

                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 30, 2004
                            <jerrygoller@b...> wrote:
                            > Good point. I tend to forget that as I spend most of my time in the
                            > mountains and heat at night isn't all that much of a
                            problem... ;o) Have you
                            > tried soaking your hammock in Permethrin? Although I've not tried
                            it for my
                            > hammock, I've used it for a couple of years on my clothes with
                            very good
                            > results. You can get it much cheaper at Home Depot. Look for yard
                            > insecticides. Cutter and Ortho both make it. One of the product
                            names is
                            > Yard Guard.
                            > Jerry

                            I tried permethrin on the hammock fabric but found that I still get
                            bit. Maybe the little buggers get in a couple of stabs before they
                            die. I have sprayed my nets to stop so many of them from buzzing
                            me. I'm going to check out the Yard Guard. Do you know the
                            strength? It would be great to find a less expensive source in ready
                            to spray form.

                            Brian
                          • ra1@imrisk.com
                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 30, 2004
                              Brian,

                              I believe it is 2.5 percent and costs about 9 bucks for a big bottle.

                              Rick

                              Quoting BRIAN <opnheartscrub@...>:

                              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Goller"
                              > <jerrygoller@b...> wrote:
                              > > Good point. I tend to forget that as I spend most of my time in the
                              > > mountains and heat at night isn't all that much of a
                              > problem... ;o) Have you
                              > > tried soaking your hammock in Permethrin? Although I've not tried
                              > it for my
                              > > hammock, I've used it for a couple of years on my clothes with
                              > very good
                              > > results. You can get it much cheaper at Home Depot. Look for yard
                              > > insecticides. Cutter and Ortho both make it. One of the product
                              > names is
                              > > Yard Guard.
                              > > Jerry
                              >
                              > I tried permethrin on the hammock fabric but found that I still get
                              > bit. Maybe the little buggers get in a couple of stabs before they
                              > die. I have sprayed my nets to stop so many of them from buzzing
                              > me. I'm going to check out the Yard Guard. Do you know the
                              > strength? It would be great to find a less expensive source in ready
                              > to spray form.
                              >
                              > Brian
                              >

                              > Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • Jerry Goller
                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 30, 2004
                                Message
                                It is a liquid at 2.5%. While it was designed to be connected to a garden hose to spray it, I just soak my clothes directly.
                                Interesting that the bugs bit right through the permethrin. What concentration did you use?
                                Jerry

                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 30, 2004
                                  <jerrygoller@b...> wrote:
                                  > It is a liquid at 2.5%. While it was designed to be connected to a
                                  garden
                                  > hose to spray it, I just soak my clothes directly.
                                  > Interesting that the bugs bit right through the permethrin. What
                                  > concentration did you use?
                                  > Jerry

                                  Jerry and Rick
                                  It appears mine is only 0.5%. It is in a 6 oz. spray can and called
                                  Repel Permanone. Is it supposed to kill upon contact?

                                  Brian
                                • Jerry Goller
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Aug 30, 2004
                                    Message
                                    As I understand it, yes. What usually happens is they don't come near me. I assume they can sense the permethrin.
                                    Jerry