RE: [Hammock Camping] Speer Hammock Design

    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 2 10:26 AM
      Message
      Hi Matt, glad you enjoyed your hammock in Yellowstone.  I understand your concern about the velcro strips on the hammock, bug net and PeaPod. I put a lot of thought into the pattern I use and have tried many different combinations.  Each configuration has advantages and disadvantages.  The hook strips really grab clothing like fleece and become quite a nuisance when used on the hammock edges, so I put them on the bugnet where they are more out of the way. That means both of the hammock edges have loop strips.  I find this is the best arrangement. Of course, this means the PeaPod only attaches to one side of the hammock since it has one loop strip and one hook strip.  As you found sometimes this arrangement works against you, but most of the time it does work.

      When I need both the PeaPod and the bug net, I too try to attach the PeaPod edges to the hammock on one side and to the bug net on the other side by using only 1/2 of each strip.  This only sometimes works well.  Instead I generally  remove the bug net from one side of the hammock and then just partially secure the PeaPod around me and the hammock leaving a large breather hole--then I use the bug net by pulling it over me without the ridgeline to cover the breather hole, tucking the loose edge of the bug net down between the PeaPod and the hammock. Karen and I often used this method on our recent trip to Boundary Waters where the mosquitoes were quite bad.  We also treat our hammock, PeaPod, bug net and clothing with Permethin--but never use DEET on synthetic fabrics.

      Hope this helps Matt

      Ed

      Speer Hammocks, Inc.
      Camping Hammocks for the Adventure Traveler
      34 Clear Creek Road
      Marion, NC 28752-6407
      828.724.4444
      http://www.speerhammocks.com
      info@...

      Hammock Camping (the book)
      The Complete Guide to Greater Comfort, Convenience and Freedom
      http://www.hammockcamping.com
      Also FREE Reports!  FREE Hammock Camping Newsletters!

      Hammock Camping News (Monthly e-zine)
      free online newsletter
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hammock_Camping_News
      http://www.hammockcamping.com/Newsletters/NEWS.htm

      Hammock Camping-L (email List)
      a free open discussion group  Learn from the experts
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 2 11:21 AM

        In a message dated 8/2/04 12:45:17 PM, mattyg225@... writes:

        Would it be possible to alternate the Velcro type on the hammock or
        the pea pod so that the pod seals to both sides of the hammock when
        it is not fully sealed up?

        Matt, how would it work to take two 8-foot strips of adhesive-backed Velcro (both hook), and stick them together -- making in effect a "double-sided" Velcro strip, with hooks on both sides.  If you then placed this against to loop side of the hammock, it would convert it to hooks, giving you the alternative you're seeking without permanently altering the hammock -- just take the "adapter" off when you want to use the bug net.

        Haven't actually tried this -- just a thought.

        John Wilson
      • Karen Sousa
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 2 1:00 PM
          The other option I often use is to leave the bug net in place and
          close the PeaPod for about 4 inches on either end. This draws the
          edges close enough together that the sides of the hammock are
          protected from drafts, but its not so warm that you are roasting
          during those transition temp nights.

          This is the method I used the night we had skeeters so bad I
          coulnd't sleep because they were so loud! I didn't get a single bite
          that night and stayed toasty warm.

          Karen

          >Instead I generally remove the bug net from one side of the
          >hammock and then just partially secure the PeaPod around me and the
          >hammock leaving a large breather hole--then I use the bug net by
          >pulling it over me without the ridgeline to cover the breather
          >hole, tucking the loose edge of the bug net down between the PeaPod
          and the hammock. >
        • dlfrost_1
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 4 5:13 AM
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, navjohn@a... wrote:
            > In a message dated 8/2/04 12:45:17 PM, mattyg225@y... writes:
            > > Would it be possible to alternate the Velcro type on the hammock
            or
            > > the pea pod so that the pod seals to both sides of the hammock
            when
            > > it is not fully sealed up?
            > >
            > Matt, how would it work to take two 8-foot strips of adhesive-
            backed Velcro
            > (both hook), and stick them together -- making in effect a "double-
            sided"
            > Velcro strip, with hooks on both sides. If you then placed this
            against to loop
            > side of the hammock, it would convert it to hooks, giving you the
            alternative
            > you're seeking without permanently altering the hammock -- just
            take the
            > "adapter" off when you want to use the bug net.
            >
            > Haven't actually tried this -- just a thought.
            >
            > John Wilson

            What I was going to suggest is using 3M's Bundling Wrap as a sort of
            Velcro gender-changer. It's a back-to-back hook-and-loop strip that
            comes on a 9 foot roll off of which you cut what you need. Get it at
            WalMart for a couple of bucks. It's great for tent poles, stakes,
            rope & straps, etcetera. Only thing is that it might not grip
            strongly enough, so it needs to be tested.

            Doug Frost
          • Matt Pulsts
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 4 7:38 PM
              Wouldnt it be easier to just sew opposite strips to the side if the hammock?
              Look at it this way: Im laying down in my hammock with peapod installed.
              In my left hand is the hook side and inn my right hand is the loop side.
              They press together to seal the pod around me.

              Now, on the edges of the hammock I sew velcro so i have a strip of "loop" on
              the left edge of the hammock and "hook" on the right edge. I can open the
              peapod and attach its strips to the hammock strips leaving the top open.

              Of course, this would also allow the hammock itself to be sealed closed..
              hmmm.

              Matt

              - I dont have a speer hammock or a peapod so i might be wrong in the way it
              operated in the first place but i think this is the general idea...

              > > > Would it be possible to alternate the Velcro type on the hammock
              > or
              > > > the pea pod so that the pod seals to both sides of the hammock
              > when
              > > > it is not fully sealed up?
              > > >
              > > Matt, how would it work to take two 8-foot strips of adhesive-
              > backed Velcro
              > > (both hook), and stick them together -- making in effect a "double-
              > sided"
              > > Velcro strip, with hooks on both sides. If you then placed this
              > against to loop
              > > side of the hammock, it would convert it to hooks, giving you the
              > alternative
              > > you're seeking without permanently altering the hammock -- just
              > take the
              > > "adapter" off when you want to use the bug net.
              > >
              > > Haven't actually tried this -- just a thought.
              > >
              > > John Wilson
              >
              > What I was going to suggest is using 3M's Bundling Wrap as a sort of
              > Velcro gender-changer. It's a back-to-back hook-and-loop strip that
              > comes on a 9 foot roll off of which you cut what you need. Get it at
              > WalMart for a couple of bucks. It's great for tent poles, stakes,
              > rope & straps, etcetera. Only thing is that it might not grip
              > strongly enough, so it needs to be tested.
              >
              > Doug Frost
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Ralph Oborn
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 4 8:10 PM
                My scouts are already tryiny to figure out how to tie me into my
                hammock why make it real easy. :]

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Pulsts" <mvpulsts@e...>
                wrote:

                > Of course, this would also allow the hammock itself to be sealed
                closed..
                > hmmm.
                >
                > Matt

              • Shane Steinkamp
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 4 8:15 PM
                  > My scouts are already tryiny to figure out how to tie me into
                  > my hammock why make it real easy. :]

                  I'll be happy to supply them with duct tape. ;)

                  Shane
                • navjohn@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 5 4:20 AM

                    In a message dated 8/4/04 10:39:07 PM, mvpulsts@... writes:

                    Wouldnt it be easier to just sew opposite strips to the side if the hammock?

                    Easier, yes, but other problems would arise.  As Ed pointed out in his book and earlier in this discussion, hook Velcro likes to grab anything fuzzy that comes in contact with it -- hats, fleece blankets, etc.  That's why he uses loop on both sides of the hammock body. The discussion has been how to keep the advantage of two sides of loop, yet still be able to attach a peapod.
                  • mattyg225
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 8 8:15 PM
                      Thanks for all of the suggestions. I am definately going to try out
                      the two sided velcro that was suggested.