Speer Hammock Design

  • mattyg225
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 2, 2004
      Ed,

      Just a quick question about the Velcro set up on your hammocks.
      Would it be possible to alternate the Velcro type on the hammock or
      the pea pod so that the pod seals to both sides of the hammock when
      it is not fully sealed up?

      While in Yellowstone, I ran into very hardy mosquitoes, so while the
      nights were certainly cold enough to warrant the pea pod, the bug
      netting was still necessary. I tried to have the bug netting attach
      to about half the Velcro strip on the hammock, and then have the pea
      pod use the other half. However, only one side of the pod matched
      up with the hammock, so it was very drafty if the wind was blowing
      the wrong way, and always noticeably colder on one half of the body.

      Matt

      PS
      Other than the one mild irritation, the entire system worked
      wonders. Yellowstone was definitely some of the worst weather I've
      used the hammock in, and while all of the tents around me were
      bailing water and wringing out sleeping bags from the monsoon, I was
      staying dry and enjoying the spectacular storm. Several people were
      eyeing up the rig, so hopefully you will have some additional
      business coming your way.
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 2, 2004
        Message
        Hi Matt, glad you enjoyed your hammock in Yellowstone.  I understand your concern about the velcro strips on the hammock, bug net and PeaPod. I put a lot of thought into the pattern I use and have tried many different combinations.  Each configuration has advantages and disadvantages.  The hook strips really grab clothing like fleece and become quite a nuisance when used on the hammock edges, so I put them on the bugnet where they are more out of the way. That means both of the hammock edges have loop strips.  I find this is the best arrangement. Of course, this means the PeaPod only attaches to one side of the hammock since it has one loop strip and one hook strip.  As you found sometimes this arrangement works against you, but most of the time it does work.

        When I need both the PeaPod and the bug net, I too try to attach the PeaPod edges to the hammock on one side and to the bug net on the other side by using only 1/2 of each strip.  This only sometimes works well.  Instead I generally  remove the bug net from one side of the hammock and then just partially secure the PeaPod around me and the hammock leaving a large breather hole--then I use the bug net by pulling it over me without the ridgeline to cover the breather hole, tucking the loose edge of the bug net down between the PeaPod and the hammock. Karen and I often used this method on our recent trip to Boundary Waters where the mosquitoes were quite bad.  We also treat our hammock, PeaPod, bug net and clothing with Permethin--but never use DEET on synthetic fabrics.

        Hope this helps Matt

        Ed

        Speer Hammocks, Inc.
        Camping Hammocks for the Adventure Traveler
        34 Clear Creek Road
        Marion, NC 28752-6407
        828.724.4444
        http://www.speerhammocks.com
        info@...

        Hammock Camping (the book)
        The Complete Guide to Greater Comfort, Convenience and Freedom
        http://www.hammockcamping.com
        Also FREE Reports!  FREE Hammock Camping Newsletters!

        Hammock Camping News (Monthly e-zine)
        free online newsletter
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hammock_Camping_News
        http://www.hammockcamping.com/Newsletters/NEWS.htm

        Hammock Camping-L (email List)
        a free open discussion group  Learn from the experts

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 2, 2004

          In a message dated 8/2/04 12:45:17 PM, mattyg225@... writes:

          Would it be possible to alternate the Velcro type on the hammock or
          the pea pod so that the pod seals to both sides of the hammock when
          it is not fully sealed up?

          Matt, how would it work to take two 8-foot strips of adhesive-backed Velcro (both hook), and stick them together -- making in effect a "double-sided" Velcro strip, with hooks on both sides.  If you then placed this against to loop side of the hammock, it would convert it to hooks, giving you the alternative you're seeking without permanently altering the hammock -- just take the "adapter" off when you want to use the bug net.

          Haven't actually tried this -- just a thought.

          John Wilson
        • Karen Sousa
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 2, 2004
            The other option I often use is to leave the bug net in place and
            close the PeaPod for about 4 inches on either end. This draws the
            edges close enough together that the sides of the hammock are
            protected from drafts, but its not so warm that you are roasting
            during those transition temp nights.

            This is the method I used the night we had skeeters so bad I
            coulnd't sleep because they were so loud! I didn't get a single bite
            that night and stayed toasty warm.

            Karen

            >Instead I generally remove the bug net from one side of the
            >hammock and then just partially secure the PeaPod around me and the
            >hammock leaving a large breather hole--then I use the bug net by
            >pulling it over me without the ridgeline to cover the breather
            >hole, tucking the loose edge of the bug net down between the PeaPod
            and the hammock. >
          • dlfrost_1
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 4, 2004
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, navjohn@a... wrote:
              > In a message dated 8/2/04 12:45:17 PM, mattyg225@y... writes:
              > > Would it be possible to alternate the Velcro type on the hammock
              or
              > > the pea pod so that the pod seals to both sides of the hammock
              when
              > > it is not fully sealed up?
              > >
              > Matt, how would it work to take two 8-foot strips of adhesive-
              backed Velcro
              > (both hook), and stick them together -- making in effect a "double-
              sided"
              > Velcro strip, with hooks on both sides. If you then placed this
              against to loop
              > side of the hammock, it would convert it to hooks, giving you the
              alternative
              > you're seeking without permanently altering the hammock -- just
              take the
              > "adapter" off when you want to use the bug net.
              >
              > Haven't actually tried this -- just a thought.
              >
              > John Wilson

              What I was going to suggest is using 3M's Bundling Wrap as a sort of
              Velcro gender-changer. It's a back-to-back hook-and-loop strip that
              comes on a 9 foot roll off of which you cut what you need. Get it at
              WalMart for a couple of bucks. It's great for tent poles, stakes,
              rope & straps, etcetera. Only thing is that it might not grip
              strongly enough, so it needs to be tested.

              Doug Frost
            • Matt Pulsts
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 4, 2004
                Wouldnt it be easier to just sew opposite strips to the side if the hammock?
                Look at it this way: Im laying down in my hammock with peapod installed.
                In my left hand is the hook side and inn my right hand is the loop side.
                They press together to seal the pod around me.

                Now, on the edges of the hammock I sew velcro so i have a strip of "loop" on
                the left edge of the hammock and "hook" on the right edge. I can open the
                peapod and attach its strips to the hammock strips leaving the top open.

                Of course, this would also allow the hammock itself to be sealed closed..
                hmmm.

                Matt

                - I dont have a speer hammock or a peapod so i might be wrong in the way it
                operated in the first place but i think this is the general idea...

                > > > Would it be possible to alternate the Velcro type on the hammock
                > or
                > > > the pea pod so that the pod seals to both sides of the hammock
                > when
                > > > it is not fully sealed up?
                > > >
                > > Matt, how would it work to take two 8-foot strips of adhesive-
                > backed Velcro
                > > (both hook), and stick them together -- making in effect a "double-
                > sided"
                > > Velcro strip, with hooks on both sides. If you then placed this
                > against to loop
                > > side of the hammock, it would convert it to hooks, giving you the
                > alternative
                > > you're seeking without permanently altering the hammock -- just
                > take the
                > > "adapter" off when you want to use the bug net.
                > >
                > > Haven't actually tried this -- just a thought.
                > >
                > > John Wilson
                >
                > What I was going to suggest is using 3M's Bundling Wrap as a sort of
                > Velcro gender-changer. It's a back-to-back hook-and-loop strip that
                > comes on a 9 foot roll off of which you cut what you need. Get it at
                > WalMart for a couple of bucks. It's great for tent poles, stakes,
                > rope & straps, etcetera. Only thing is that it might not grip
                > strongly enough, so it needs to be tested.
                >
                > Doug Frost
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Ralph Oborn
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 4, 2004
                  My scouts are already tryiny to figure out how to tie me into my
                  hammock why make it real easy. :]

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Pulsts" <mvpulsts@e...>
                  wrote:

                  > Of course, this would also allow the hammock itself to be sealed
                  closed..
                  > hmmm.
                  >
                  > Matt

                • Shane Steinkamp
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 4, 2004
                    > My scouts are already tryiny to figure out how to tie me into
                    > my hammock why make it real easy. :]

                    I'll be happy to supply them with duct tape. ;)

                    Shane
                  • navjohn@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 5, 2004

                      In a message dated 8/4/04 10:39:07 PM, mvpulsts@... writes:

                      Wouldnt it be easier to just sew opposite strips to the side if the hammock?

                      Easier, yes, but other problems would arise.  As Ed pointed out in his book and earlier in this discussion, hook Velcro likes to grab anything fuzzy that comes in contact with it -- hats, fleece blankets, etc.  That's why he uses loop on both sides of the hammock body. The discussion has been how to keep the advantage of two sides of loop, yet still be able to attach a peapod.
                    • mattyg225
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 8, 2004
                        Thanks for all of the suggestions. I am definately going to try out
                        the two sided velcro that was suggested.