Sleeping Pad Choice

  • mattyg225
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2, 2004
      I was just wondering what the best type / shape sleeping pad is best
      for hammocks. I am trying to figure out my gear list for a thru-
      hike starting in Feb. As of now, I have a Speer hammock / pea pod
      combination, along with a sleeping bag as a quilt. Are inflatable
      or close cell pads better? Do mummy style pads help, or are they
      all pretty much the same? The pad would probably go under the
      hammock inside the pea pod, along with my down jacket and ground
      cloth on really cold nights, so I'm not too worried about trying to
      stay one the pad at night.

      Thanks,

      Matt
    • ra1@imrisk.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 2, 2004
        Quoting mattyg225 <mattyg225@...>:

        > I was just wondering what the best type / shape sleeping pad is best
        > for hammocks. I am trying to figure out my gear list for a thru-
        > hike starting in Feb. As of now, I have a Speer hammock / pea pod
        > combination, along with a sleeping bag as a quilt. Are inflatable
        > or close cell pads better? Do mummy style pads help, or are they
        > all pretty much the same? The pad would probably go under the
        > hammock inside the pea pod, along with my down jacket and ground
        > cloth on really cold nights, so I'm not too worried about trying to
        > stay one the pad at night.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Matt
        Hi Matt,

        I have some opinions about cold weather use of hammocks and have tried nearly
        everything but the PeaPod. (I'm just too cheap is the only reason.)

        In February, you will be having some below freezing weather, but not much below
        15-20 F. With your sleeping bag used as a quilt, the peapod and a Speer, you
        are pretty well set excpet for the coldest nights. For a bit of extra warmth, I
        would suggest a closed cell pad up next to your skin. It does not take much
        thickness to add a lot of warmth. I do not think a closed cell pad inside the
        peapod underneath offers any measurable additional insulation. It needs to be
        against the skin to be effective.

        My favorite set up is the overlap pad:

        http://www.imrisk.com/overlappad/overlap.htm

        I have recently begun using two pieces which are 19 inches wide and 36 inches
        long (because that is what fits inside my Fanatic Fringe Pack) and it works well.

        You may find, like I do, that the pad helps to act as a frame in a lightweight
        pack. You will also find that the pad becomes a great stand alone way of
        staying warm in late March or early April, when the PeaPod can be shipped home.

        The pad also allows much more comfortable sleeping in a shelter when this
        becomes the best choice for a night. I put both halves on top of each other to
        give a little more padding on a hard wood floor.

        Risk