Re: New Hennessey Thing

  • Ray Garlington
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 2 8:28 AM
      > I still didn't find the picture(s)
      > except one of something hanging in a place like a
      > workshop.

      Bill,

      Here is a picture of a prototype on whiteblaze:

      http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/watermark.php?
      file=577/5newhennesystuff.JPG

      The production version is really two shells: a bottom one sold with
      an open cell pad and top shell sold separately.

      By the way, do you go by the name gardenville on the lightweight
      backpacker? If so I liked your recent description of your silk
      hammock and your preferred source for silk material. I haven't seen
      that post here, so perhaps there another silk hammocker out there.
    • Bill Fornshell
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 2 11:49 AM
        Hi Ray, Thanks for the link to the new HH prototype.
        It is interesting. I am taking a different approach
        to staying warm in my hammock. It is interesting how
        everything on the market today looks alike. Maybe
        looks so conventional is a better way to say it.

        My concept tackles the classic old problem of staying
        warm in a Hammock in what I think is a brand new way.
        Really, it's an exercise in kind of stepping back and
        looking at ways to fundamentally rethink the goal.
        Hanging (hammock type thing) in something that will
        also keep you warm and comfortable down to (??) some
        preselected temperature. Have the ability to add or
        remove simple components for the temperature range you
        expect. Be very light and not cost to much to make
        yourself or buy. Sounds simple enough.

        I am looking at ways to use different materials in a
        new way.

        And YES, gardenville is a trail name with an
        interesting story connected to the first Ultra-light
        pack I made. I have talked a lot about about how
        happy I am with how the silk hammock has worked for me
        ever since Ed made it for me last summer. I am sure I
        have posted the Thai Silks web site here. This group
        gets so many messages old messages get hard to find
        fast.

        http://www.thaisilks.com

        Silk is really nice next to your skin.
        Bill in Texas (gardenville)

        --- Ray Garlington <rgarling@...> wrote:
        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Bill
        > Fornshell
        > > I still didn't find the picture(s)
        > > except one of something hanging in a place like a
        > > workshop.
        >
        > Bill,
        >
        > Here is a picture of a prototype on whiteblaze:

        http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=577/5newhennesystuff.JPG

        > The production version is really two shells: a
        > bottom one sold with
        > an open cell pad and top shell sold separately.
        >
        > By the way, do you go by the name gardenville on the
        > lightweight
        > backpacker? If so I liked your recent description
        > of your silk
        > hammock and your preferred source for silk material.
        > I haven't seen
        > that post here, so perhaps there another silk
        > hammocker out there.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Paul Kaercher
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 2 6:54 PM
          Bill
          I've read how pleased you are with your silk hammock.
          I briefely checked out the thaisilks website and am daunted by
          the choices. There doesn't seem to be a listing of what the
          different silk fabrics weigh.
          Which silk fabric did you use and with hindsight would you use
          that fabric again? Thanks.

          Paul
        • Bill Fornshell
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 2 8:29 PM
            Hi Paul, The silk you are looking for is called
            Habotai - China Silk. For the body of the hammock I
            used item 26L, 8mm which is 1.02oz per square yard,
            54" wide, it is $4.65 a yard. The bug net was silk
            gauze item 24N, 3.5mm which is .45oz, 36" wide, it is
            $1.75 a yard. I weigh 168 pounds and I am 6' tall.
            If you weigh much more than I do you might want a
            heavier silk for the body of the hammock. You can get
            the silk in 10mm which is 1.28oz per square yard. The
            next heaver is 15.5mm which is 1.98oz per square yard.
            You determine square yard weight of silk by what
            the (mm) is listed as.

            If I was making a new silk hammock I would use the
            same silk. I have been painting on silk, dyed my own
            silk for things I was making and have used this kind
            of silk for about 10 years. The only thing I would do
            different is use less Velcro. I hate Velcro. I have
            been using a hammock for almost 40 years. My first
            hammocks (years ago) were made of silk and the bug net
            was draped over a ridge line and fell around the
            hammock. Small rocks were tied on the bug net and
            this worked great. People have been doing it that way
            for years. Think about what 17' of Velcro weighs.

            If you need more information let me know.
            Bill in Texas

            -- Paul Kaercher <yomas_1@...> wrote:

            > Bill
            > I've read how pleased you are with your silk
            > hammock.
            > I briefely checked out the thaisilks website and am
            > daunted by
            > the choices. There doesn't seem to be a listing of
            > what the
            > different silk fabrics weigh.
            > Which silk fabric did you use and with hindsight
            > would you use
            > that fabric again? Thanks.
            >
            > Paul

            http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo
          • Paul Kaercher
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 3 6:55 PM
              Bill
              Much obliged for the detailed and timely information.
              It seems like 8mm silk will work for my 166 lb. carcass.

              Do you find the silk gauze to be noseeum proof?
              I intend to treat the gauze with permethrin so even if the gauze is
              not midge proof they probably would not survive crawling through
              the netting.
              BTW- I add some liquid woolite to the 0.5% permethrin solution.
              This reduces the surface tension of the liquid resulting in the
              netting being thoroughly wetted and retaining more liquid during
              the drying process. This presumably will result in the netting
              having more permethrin attached to it when dry.

              Paul
            • Bill Fornshell
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 3 9:25 PM
                Are you going to make a Speer type Hammock? If you
                sew anywhere in the body of the hammock it acts like
                the perforation between stamps and will tear along the
                stitch line. If you just knot the ends you should
                have no problems. You can sew the Velcro on the edge
                of the hammock for the bug net.

                The silk gauze works well for the bug net. I think
                the silk is a finer mesh than the noseeum stuff. You
                can call Thai Silks and ask for a sample of the gauze.
                They are real nice about that and they have a 1-800
                number. I am sure at your weight the 8mm will work
                fine. I am still careful how I get in an out of my
                hammock. Some of that is out of respect for the
                Hammock maker (Hi Ed).

                I will try the Woolite idea.
                Bill

                http://messenger.yahoo.com