New Hennessey Thing

  • Bill Fornshell
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 1, 2004
      Thanks Lenny, I still didn't find the picture(s)
      except one of something hanging in a place like a
      workshop. It is OK as I have never understood the HH
      idea anyway.

      My Hammock of choice is one Ed made for me out of
      silk. It is very well made, has a simple clean
      design, it is easy to hang, it is lighter than the HH
      and it is made in the good old USA. Bill in
      Texas

      --- Lenny Nichols <lnichols@...> wrote:

      I failed to find a picture. Did I miss it? Bill

      Scroll down the page. It appears to be a page for
      something else, but it's there.

      Lenny Nichols

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • Ray Garlington
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 2, 2004
        > I still didn't find the picture(s)
        > except one of something hanging in a place like a
        > workshop.

        Bill,

        Here is a picture of a prototype on whiteblaze:

        http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/watermark.php?
        file=577/5newhennesystuff.JPG

        The production version is really two shells: a bottom one sold with
        an open cell pad and top shell sold separately.

        By the way, do you go by the name gardenville on the lightweight
        backpacker? If so I liked your recent description of your silk
        hammock and your preferred source for silk material. I haven't seen
        that post here, so perhaps there another silk hammocker out there.
      • Bill Fornshell
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 2, 2004
          Hi Ray, Thanks for the link to the new HH prototype.
          It is interesting. I am taking a different approach
          to staying warm in my hammock. It is interesting how
          everything on the market today looks alike. Maybe
          looks so conventional is a better way to say it.

          My concept tackles the classic old problem of staying
          warm in a Hammock in what I think is a brand new way.
          Really, it's an exercise in kind of stepping back and
          looking at ways to fundamentally rethink the goal.
          Hanging (hammock type thing) in something that will
          also keep you warm and comfortable down to (??) some
          preselected temperature. Have the ability to add or
          remove simple components for the temperature range you
          expect. Be very light and not cost to much to make
          yourself or buy. Sounds simple enough.

          I am looking at ways to use different materials in a
          new way.

          And YES, gardenville is a trail name with an
          interesting story connected to the first Ultra-light
          pack I made. I have talked a lot about about how
          happy I am with how the silk hammock has worked for me
          ever since Ed made it for me last summer. I am sure I
          have posted the Thai Silks web site here. This group
          gets so many messages old messages get hard to find
          fast.

          http://www.thaisilks.com

          Silk is really nice next to your skin.
          Bill in Texas (gardenville)

          --- Ray Garlington <rgarling@...> wrote:
          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Bill
          > Fornshell
          > > I still didn't find the picture(s)
          > > except one of something hanging in a place like a
          > > workshop.
          >
          > Bill,
          >
          > Here is a picture of a prototype on whiteblaze:

          http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=577/5newhennesystuff.JPG

          > The production version is really two shells: a
          > bottom one sold with
          > an open cell pad and top shell sold separately.
          >
          > By the way, do you go by the name gardenville on the
          > lightweight
          > backpacker? If so I liked your recent description
          > of your silk
          > hammock and your preferred source for silk material.
          > I haven't seen
          > that post here, so perhaps there another silk
          > hammocker out there.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Paul Kaercher
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 2, 2004
            Bill
            I've read how pleased you are with your silk hammock.
            I briefely checked out the thaisilks website and am daunted by
            the choices. There doesn't seem to be a listing of what the
            different silk fabrics weigh.
            Which silk fabric did you use and with hindsight would you use
            that fabric again? Thanks.

            Paul
          • Bill Fornshell
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 2, 2004
              Hi Paul, The silk you are looking for is called
              Habotai - China Silk. For the body of the hammock I
              used item 26L, 8mm which is 1.02oz per square yard,
              54" wide, it is $4.65 a yard. The bug net was silk
              gauze item 24N, 3.5mm which is .45oz, 36" wide, it is
              $1.75 a yard. I weigh 168 pounds and I am 6' tall.
              If you weigh much more than I do you might want a
              heavier silk for the body of the hammock. You can get
              the silk in 10mm which is 1.28oz per square yard. The
              next heaver is 15.5mm which is 1.98oz per square yard.
              You determine square yard weight of silk by what
              the (mm) is listed as.

              If I was making a new silk hammock I would use the
              same silk. I have been painting on silk, dyed my own
              silk for things I was making and have used this kind
              of silk for about 10 years. The only thing I would do
              different is use less Velcro. I hate Velcro. I have
              been using a hammock for almost 40 years. My first
              hammocks (years ago) were made of silk and the bug net
              was draped over a ridge line and fell around the
              hammock. Small rocks were tied on the bug net and
              this worked great. People have been doing it that way
              for years. Think about what 17' of Velcro weighs.

              If you need more information let me know.
              Bill in Texas

              -- Paul Kaercher <yomas_1@...> wrote:

              > Bill
              > I've read how pleased you are with your silk
              > hammock.
              > I briefely checked out the thaisilks website and am
              > daunted by
              > the choices. There doesn't seem to be a listing of
              > what the
              > different silk fabrics weigh.
              > Which silk fabric did you use and with hindsight
              > would you use
              > that fabric again? Thanks.
              >
              > Paul

              http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo
            • Paul Kaercher
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 3, 2004
                Bill
                Much obliged for the detailed and timely information.
                It seems like 8mm silk will work for my 166 lb. carcass.

                Do you find the silk gauze to be noseeum proof?
                I intend to treat the gauze with permethrin so even if the gauze is
                not midge proof they probably would not survive crawling through
                the netting.
                BTW- I add some liquid woolite to the 0.5% permethrin solution.
                This reduces the surface tension of the liquid resulting in the
                netting being thoroughly wetted and retaining more liquid during
                the drying process. This presumably will result in the netting
                having more permethrin attached to it when dry.

                Paul
              • Bill Fornshell
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 3, 2004
                  Are you going to make a Speer type Hammock? If you
                  sew anywhere in the body of the hammock it acts like
                  the perforation between stamps and will tear along the
                  stitch line. If you just knot the ends you should
                  have no problems. You can sew the Velcro on the edge
                  of the hammock for the bug net.

                  The silk gauze works well for the bug net. I think
                  the silk is a finer mesh than the noseeum stuff. You
                  can call Thai Silks and ask for a sample of the gauze.
                  They are real nice about that and they have a 1-800
                  number. I am sure at your weight the 8mm will work
                  fine. I am still careful how I get in an out of my
                  hammock. Some of that is out of respect for the
                  Hammock maker (Hi Ed).

                  I will try the Woolite idea.
                  Bill

                  http://messenger.yahoo.com