Re: Staying dry

  • dlfrost_1
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2004
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "A M Acklen" <amacklen@b...>
      wrote:
      > My only real concern is - will I really stay dry during a real
      > storm?

      > Also, I feel a little
      > claustrophobic with the fly attached per the directions. I know
      some of you
      > tie a separate line above the hammock, but it seems this will
      further reduce
      > coverage in case of rain. I'm planning a trip to NC/TN in the fall
      and look
      > forward to hanging myself there!

      Well you can always replace it with a larger one. It's nice to have
      when you're going out where rain is more likely. A larger tarp can
      also be pitched higher above the hammock, relieving the closed-in
      feeling.

      (Hammockcampers: Have we reached a consensus on which replacement
      tarps are best yet?)

      The good news is that fall is a great time for camping in the
      southern Appalachians--it's bright and sunny with modest temps
      throughout most of September & October.

      Doug Frost
    • Coy
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2004
        Hi Andrew

        If you tie the side tiouts to a tree and not to the ground with a
        stake you really dont loose coverage, in fact you gain a little. I
        usually set one side slightly lower than center and the other
        slightly higer but with enough differance to keep the A shap (very
        slightly) in tact. It is OK to go even further and have an inverted A
        if you make sure one end is lower than the other. I dont reccomend
        it but have done it. Of course it the wind is blowing you do need
        the sides down low... but deep in the woods the wind is usually not
        that bad. I've noticed a big differane in the wind when I camp in
        deep woods with no clearings around as apposed to 2 trees in my yard.

        Coy Boy
        PS confession time: I have been using a tent recently. I plan to
        repent and return to the flock in about 3 months.

        wrote:
        > Hi Everyone, I've been lurking the list for a while, learning about
        hammock
        > camping. I'm a backpacker whenever possible and have been trying
        to lighten
        > my load for a couple of years. I just bought a Hennessey A-Sym
        last week.
        > I've set it up in the backyard a couple of times and had a look at
        some of
        > the great web sites that deal with hammock camping. The hammock is
        really
        > comfortable and I can imagine that it is a great night's sleep in
        the back
        > country. My only real concern is - will I really stay dry during a
        real
        > storm? The way I've got the fly set up, there's a differential of
        coverage
        > at both head and foot - i.e. a "wide" side and a "not so wide" side
        at both
        > ends. I'm guessing this is correct - haven't found any other way
        to pitch
        > it, but I'm wondering if there is a better way? Also, I feel a
        little
        > claustrophobic with the fly attached per the directions. I know
        some of you
        > tie a separate line above the hammock, but it seems this will
        further reduce
        > coverage in case of rain. I'm planning a trip to NC/TN in the fall
        and look
        > forward to hanging myself there!
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Andrew
      • Steve McBride
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 3, 2004
          Andrew,

          When and where are you going in the Fall? I'll be in the GSMNP in late October doing some hammock camping. In the past I have found the woods there to be dense enough that wind is usually not a big factor, even though the rain can be. It doesn't take a lot of tarp to protect you. I use a Speer-type hammock with a 5' x 10' tarp and have had no problems.

          Steve M