Re: [Hammock Camping] Trip Report

    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1 12:49 PM
      SF Nazdarovye wrote:

      >Rick - fun to read your report!
      >
      >Welcome to the world of the Adirondacks - that's where I grew up and
      >got my love of backpacking; though there may be higher mountains
      >elsewhere, the peaks there offer some true challenges. And it's
      >definitely a hammocker's paradise.
      >
      >You going to go back and tackle some more?
      >
      >- Steve
      >
      >PS - here are some pictures from a trek up three of the bushwhacking
      >peaks back in December; portions of this were through steep, steep
      >spruce thickets and krummholz - not as extended a scramble as the Dix
      >slide you were on, but still quite a battle!
      >
      >http://www.brilliantmedia.com/bp/san/
      >
      >And here's my hammock on the shore of Long Lake along the
      >Northville-Lake Placid trail - well worth doing if you ever get the
      >time:
      >
      >http://www.brilliantmedia.com/bp/HennessyHammockOnShore.jpg

      Well, I learned a bit about the Adirondacks on this trip, and a bit
      about me. I am used to seeing descriptions of trails as "very
      difficult" and take all that with a grain of salt... However, I will be
      more cautious of that rating in the High Peaks guidebook in the future.
      Maybe a routes with less elevation gain per mile would be my next trip.

      My son dearly loves going to camp at Word of Life Island in Schroon and
      is already talking about going back next summer. I am sure that this
      will not be my last trip to the 'dacks.

      Risk
    • Coy
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 1 9:35 PM
        Looks like some kinda new fangled yoga to me. I'm with you on the
        grade and trail difficulty. Personally Id rather hike a slight
        uphill grade than any downhill. Knees like it a lot better. but
        steep +slick + rock and mud makes for a long day.

        Coy Boy

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Risk" <ra1@i...> wrote:
        > Fellow Hammockers may enjoy the caption under the first picture on
        my
        > current homepage...
        >
        > http://www.imrisk.com/
        >
        > The Adirondacks are a hammock camper's paradise. There are lots of
        > places to legally hammock (150 feet from trail and water - and below
        > 3500 feet) and it is SO hard to find nice tent camping spots except
        > for the official camping spots.
        >
        > My most recent hike is detailed here:
        >
        > http://www.imrisk.com/adirondacks/adirondacks.htm
        >
        > Risk
      • Mirage
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 2 3:56 PM
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, SF Nazdarovye
          <nazdarovye@y...> wrote:
          > Rick - fun to read your report!
          >
          > Welcome to the world of the Adirondacks - that's where I grew up
          and
          > got my love of backpacking; though there may be higher mountains
          > elsewhere, the peaks there offer some true challenges. And it's
          > definitely a hammocker's paradise.

          I grew up in the Catskills, foot hills of the Adirondacks, but still
          vividly remember my Mt. Marcy summit, treks on Indian Head, Mt.
          Baker and other forgoten peaks and a week spent canoeing on the
          Saranac lake system.

          While I miss some of the scenery and trails (not the black flies), I
          just spent a weekend up in Jeffereson Park, an alpine meadow/plateu,
          at ~6000ft. on a section of the PCT, on the northern side of Mt.
          Jefferson in the Oregon Cascades.

          It was the most beautiful hiking weather I can EVER remember during
          a hike. I was testing out my DIY hammock system (4.3oz hammock,
          5.7oz bug netting and 12oz tarp, plus lines). Also testing my DIY
          underquilt and recently completed Kennebec pull-over from Ayce at
          thru-hiker.com.

          I'll post pics as soon as I get them off the cameras and on the
          web.

          <Shameless BGT plug>
          What a great weekend to be testing gear for BGT
          (http://www.backpackgeartest.org).
          </Shameless BGT plug)

          Shane "Mirage"...
        • SF Nazdarovye
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 2 4:04 PM
            I'll look forward to seeing the pics - and would love to hear more
            about your super-light hammock setup. Have you described the materials
            and construction earlier here, or posted them anywhere?

            - Steve

            (Like your shameless plug as well - I know we all would love more
            testers!)

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 2 4:21 PM
              <nazdarovye@y...> wrote:
              > I'll look forward to seeing the pics - and would love to hear more
              > about your super-light hammock setup. Have you described the
              materials
              > and construction earlier here, or posted them anywhere?
              >
              > - Steve

              Steve,

              No, I've not yet posted pics or construction details, not for lack
              of intent.

              I've been so busy designing and constructing that my efforts to
              document online have fallen behind. I desperately need to
              reorganize my website and make more useful and descriptive.

              The hammock is 1.1oz nylon, folded ends, whipped with the hang lines
              (3/8" poly line), 10' poly pro webbing "tree huggers", and home made
              snake skins. The hammock rough dimensions are 8'x4', although I
              believe I will add another 6" to the length in my next interation.

              The bug netting is hard top describe, but will hopefully be clear
              from the pictures (when I post them). It wraps around the outside
              of the underquilt/peapod, but does not completely enclose it (like I
              said, hard to describe).

              You've seen my cat tarps before, nothing new there.

              Suprisingly, the ranger on duty this weekend had never seen anyone
              use a hammock for over night sleeping!! She was very impressed with
              the concept and how light it and compact it was.

              Shane "mirage"...