Re: [Hammock Camping] RE: Staying dry

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2004
      A M Acklen wrote:

      > Hi Everyone, I've been lurking the list for a while, learning about
      > hammock camping. I'm a backpacker whenever possible and have been
      > trying to lighten my load for a couple of years. I just bought a
      > Hennessey A-Sym last week. I've set it up in the backyard a couple of
      > times and had a look at some of the great web sites that deal with
      > hammock camping. The hammock is really comfortable and I can imagine
      > that it is a great night's sleep in the back country. My only real
      > concern is - will I really stay dry during a real storm? The way I've
      > got the fly set up, there's a differential of coverage at both head
      > and foot - i.e. a "wide" side and a "not so wide" side at both ends.
      > I'm guessing this is correct - haven't found any other way to pitch
      > it, but I'm wondering if there is a better way? Also, I feel a little
      > claustrophobic with the fly attached per the directions. I know some
      > of you tie a separate line above the hammock, but it seems this will
      > further reduce coverage in case of rain. I’m planning a trip to NC/TN
      > in the fall and look forward to hanging myself there!
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Andrew

      You will find that the hammock has the same shape. The fly and the
      hammock should have the same relative shape as one another.

      May I suggest using your hammock during a number of summer rain storms
      in your backyard? This will give you the necessary confidence to use it
      many miles from home. Experiment with different set ups in real rain and
      real storms. It will answer your questions and that will lead to more
      questions and you will answer them and before long you will be a real
      expert able to suggest to others that they do the same thing ;)

      Risk
    • dlfrost_1
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2004
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "A M Acklen" <amacklen@b...>
        wrote:
        > My only real concern is - will I really stay dry during a real
        > storm?

        > Also, I feel a little
        > claustrophobic with the fly attached per the directions. I know
        some of you
        > tie a separate line above the hammock, but it seems this will
        further reduce
        > coverage in case of rain. I'm planning a trip to NC/TN in the fall
        and look
        > forward to hanging myself there!

        Well you can always replace it with a larger one. It's nice to have
        when you're going out where rain is more likely. A larger tarp can
        also be pitched higher above the hammock, relieving the closed-in
        feeling.

        (Hammockcampers: Have we reached a consensus on which replacement
        tarps are best yet?)

        The good news is that fall is a great time for camping in the
        southern Appalachians--it's bright and sunny with modest temps
        throughout most of September & October.

        Doug Frost
      • Coy
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1, 2004
          Hi Andrew

          If you tie the side tiouts to a tree and not to the ground with a
          stake you really dont loose coverage, in fact you gain a little. I
          usually set one side slightly lower than center and the other
          slightly higer but with enough differance to keep the A shap (very
          slightly) in tact. It is OK to go even further and have an inverted A
          if you make sure one end is lower than the other. I dont reccomend
          it but have done it. Of course it the wind is blowing you do need
          the sides down low... but deep in the woods the wind is usually not
          that bad. I've noticed a big differane in the wind when I camp in
          deep woods with no clearings around as apposed to 2 trees in my yard.

          Coy Boy
          PS confession time: I have been using a tent recently. I plan to
          repent and return to the flock in about 3 months.

          wrote:
          > Hi Everyone, I've been lurking the list for a while, learning about
          hammock
          > camping. I'm a backpacker whenever possible and have been trying
          to lighten
          > my load for a couple of years. I just bought a Hennessey A-Sym
          last week.
          > I've set it up in the backyard a couple of times and had a look at
          some of
          > the great web sites that deal with hammock camping. The hammock is
          really
          > comfortable and I can imagine that it is a great night's sleep in
          the back
          > country. My only real concern is - will I really stay dry during a
          real
          > storm? The way I've got the fly set up, there's a differential of
          coverage
          > at both head and foot - i.e. a "wide" side and a "not so wide" side
          at both
          > ends. I'm guessing this is correct - haven't found any other way
          to pitch
          > it, but I'm wondering if there is a better way? Also, I feel a
          little
          > claustrophobic with the fly attached per the directions. I know
          some of you
          > tie a separate line above the hammock, but it seems this will
          further reduce
          > coverage in case of rain. I'm planning a trip to NC/TN in the fall
          and look
          > forward to hanging myself there!
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Andrew
        • Steve McBride
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 3, 2004
            Andrew,

            When and where are you going in the Fall? I'll be in the GSMNP in late October doing some hammock camping. In the past I have found the woods there to be dense enough that wind is usually not a big factor, even though the rain can be. It doesn't take a lot of tarp to protect you. I use a Speer-type hammock with a 5' x 10' tarp and have had no problems.

            Steve M