RE: Staying dry

  • A M Acklen
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2004

      Hi Everyone, I've been lurking the list for a while, learning about hammock camping.  I'm a backpacker whenever possible and have been trying to lighten my load for a couple of years.  I just bought a Hennessey A-Sym last week.  I've set it up in the backyard a couple of times and had a look at some of the great web sites that deal with hammock camping.  The hammock is really comfortable and I can imagine that it is a great night's sleep in the back country.  My only real concern is - will I really stay dry during a real storm?  The way I've got the fly set up, there's a differential of coverage at both head and foot - i.e. a "wide" side and a "not so wide" side at both ends.  I'm guessing this is correct - haven't found any other way to pitch it, but I'm wondering if there is a better way?  Also, I feel a little claustrophobic with the fly attached per the directions.  I know some of you tie a separate line above the hammock, but it seems this will further reduce coverage in case of rain.  I’m planning a trip to NC/TN in the fall and look forward to hanging myself there!

      Thanks,

      Andrew

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2004
        A M Acklen wrote:

        > Hi Everyone, I've been lurking the list for a while, learning about
        > hammock camping. I'm a backpacker whenever possible and have been
        > trying to lighten my load for a couple of years. I just bought a
        > Hennessey A-Sym last week. I've set it up in the backyard a couple of
        > times and had a look at some of the great web sites that deal with
        > hammock camping. The hammock is really comfortable and I can imagine
        > that it is a great night's sleep in the back country. My only real
        > concern is - will I really stay dry during a real storm? The way I've
        > got the fly set up, there's a differential of coverage at both head
        > and foot - i.e. a "wide" side and a "not so wide" side at both ends.
        > I'm guessing this is correct - haven't found any other way to pitch
        > it, but I'm wondering if there is a better way? Also, I feel a little
        > claustrophobic with the fly attached per the directions. I know some
        > of you tie a separate line above the hammock, but it seems this will
        > further reduce coverage in case of rain. I’m planning a trip to NC/TN
        > in the fall and look forward to hanging myself there!
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Andrew

        You will find that the hammock has the same shape. The fly and the
        hammock should have the same relative shape as one another.

        May I suggest using your hammock during a number of summer rain storms
        in your backyard? This will give you the necessary confidence to use it
        many miles from home. Experiment with different set ups in real rain and
        real storms. It will answer your questions and that will lead to more
        questions and you will answer them and before long you will be a real
        expert able to suggest to others that they do the same thing ;)

        Risk
      • dlfrost_1
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1, 2004
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "A M Acklen" <amacklen@b...>
          wrote:
          > My only real concern is - will I really stay dry during a real
          > storm?

          > Also, I feel a little
          > claustrophobic with the fly attached per the directions. I know
          some of you
          > tie a separate line above the hammock, but it seems this will
          further reduce
          > coverage in case of rain. I'm planning a trip to NC/TN in the fall
          and look
          > forward to hanging myself there!

          Well you can always replace it with a larger one. It's nice to have
          when you're going out where rain is more likely. A larger tarp can
          also be pitched higher above the hammock, relieving the closed-in
          feeling.

          (Hammockcampers: Have we reached a consensus on which replacement
          tarps are best yet?)

          The good news is that fall is a great time for camping in the
          southern Appalachians--it's bright and sunny with modest temps
          throughout most of September & October.

          Doug Frost
        • Coy
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 1, 2004
            Hi Andrew

            If you tie the side tiouts to a tree and not to the ground with a
            stake you really dont loose coverage, in fact you gain a little. I
            usually set one side slightly lower than center and the other
            slightly higer but with enough differance to keep the A shap (very
            slightly) in tact. It is OK to go even further and have an inverted A
            if you make sure one end is lower than the other. I dont reccomend
            it but have done it. Of course it the wind is blowing you do need
            the sides down low... but deep in the woods the wind is usually not
            that bad. I've noticed a big differane in the wind when I camp in
            deep woods with no clearings around as apposed to 2 trees in my yard.

            Coy Boy
            PS confession time: I have been using a tent recently. I plan to
            repent and return to the flock in about 3 months.

            wrote:
            > Hi Everyone, I've been lurking the list for a while, learning about
            hammock
            > camping. I'm a backpacker whenever possible and have been trying
            to lighten
            > my load for a couple of years. I just bought a Hennessey A-Sym
            last week.
            > I've set it up in the backyard a couple of times and had a look at
            some of
            > the great web sites that deal with hammock camping. The hammock is
            really
            > comfortable and I can imagine that it is a great night's sleep in
            the back
            > country. My only real concern is - will I really stay dry during a
            real
            > storm? The way I've got the fly set up, there's a differential of
            coverage
            > at both head and foot - i.e. a "wide" side and a "not so wide" side
            at both
            > ends. I'm guessing this is correct - haven't found any other way
            to pitch
            > it, but I'm wondering if there is a better way? Also, I feel a
            little
            > claustrophobic with the fly attached per the directions. I know
            some of you
            > tie a separate line above the hammock, but it seems this will
            further reduce
            > coverage in case of rain. I'm planning a trip to NC/TN in the fall
            and look
            > forward to hanging myself there!
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Andrew
          • Steve McBride
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 3, 2004
              Andrew,

              When and where are you going in the Fall? I'll be in the GSMNP in late October doing some hammock camping. In the past I have found the woods there to be dense enough that wind is usually not a big factor, even though the rain can be. It doesn't take a lot of tarp to protect you. I use a Speer-type hammock with a 5' x 10' tarp and have had no problems.

              Steve M