Re: [Hammock Camping] Trip Report

    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1, 2004
      Bill Fornshell wrote:

      >Nice pictures but does the Kilt turn into a Hammock?
      >The trees look like Birch. I haven't seen any of them
      >(for real) in to long a time. Bill in Texas
      >
      >--- Risk <ra1@...> wrote:

      Nay, but we Manx sleep in our kilts on occasion. On this night I did,
      inside the nicely bug proof double bottom ZHammock and with a Speer Frog
      Sac used as a quilt. Temperature got down to 55 and I was very
      comfortable.

      Risk
    • SF Nazdarovye
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 1, 2004
        Rick - fun to read your report!

        Welcome to the world of the Adirondacks - that's where I grew up and
        got my love of backpacking; though there may be higher mountains
        elsewhere, the peaks there offer some true challenges. And it's
        definitely a hammocker's paradise.

        You going to go back and tackle some more?

        - Steve

        PS - here are some pictures from a trek up three of the bushwhacking
        peaks back in December; portions of this were through steep, steep
        spruce thickets and krummholz - not as extended a scramble as the Dix
        slide you were on, but still quite a battle!

        http://www.brilliantmedia.com/bp/san/

        And here's my hammock on the shore of Long Lake along the
        Northville-Lake Placid trail - well worth doing if you ever get the
        time:

        http://www.brilliantmedia.com/bp/HennessyHammockOnShore.jpg

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 1, 2004
          SF Nazdarovye wrote:

          >Rick - fun to read your report!
          >
          >Welcome to the world of the Adirondacks - that's where I grew up and
          >got my love of backpacking; though there may be higher mountains
          >elsewhere, the peaks there offer some true challenges. And it's
          >definitely a hammocker's paradise.
          >
          >You going to go back and tackle some more?
          >
          >- Steve
          >
          >PS - here are some pictures from a trek up three of the bushwhacking
          >peaks back in December; portions of this were through steep, steep
          >spruce thickets and krummholz - not as extended a scramble as the Dix
          >slide you were on, but still quite a battle!
          >
          >http://www.brilliantmedia.com/bp/san/
          >
          >And here's my hammock on the shore of Long Lake along the
          >Northville-Lake Placid trail - well worth doing if you ever get the
          >time:
          >
          >http://www.brilliantmedia.com/bp/HennessyHammockOnShore.jpg

          Well, I learned a bit about the Adirondacks on this trip, and a bit
          about me. I am used to seeing descriptions of trails as "very
          difficult" and take all that with a grain of salt... However, I will be
          more cautious of that rating in the High Peaks guidebook in the future.
          Maybe a routes with less elevation gain per mile would be my next trip.

          My son dearly loves going to camp at Word of Life Island in Schroon and
          is already talking about going back next summer. I am sure that this
          will not be my last trip to the 'dacks.

          Risk
        • Coy
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 1, 2004
            Looks like some kinda new fangled yoga to me. I'm with you on the
            grade and trail difficulty. Personally Id rather hike a slight
            uphill grade than any downhill. Knees like it a lot better. but
            steep +slick + rock and mud makes for a long day.

            Coy Boy

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Risk" <ra1@i...> wrote:
            > Fellow Hammockers may enjoy the caption under the first picture on
            my
            > current homepage...
            >
            > http://www.imrisk.com/
            >
            > The Adirondacks are a hammock camper's paradise. There are lots of
            > places to legally hammock (150 feet from trail and water - and below
            > 3500 feet) and it is SO hard to find nice tent camping spots except
            > for the official camping spots.
            >
            > My most recent hike is detailed here:
            >
            > http://www.imrisk.com/adirondacks/adirondacks.htm
            >
            > Risk
          • Mirage
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 2, 2004
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, SF Nazdarovye
              <nazdarovye@y...> wrote:
              > Rick - fun to read your report!
              >
              > Welcome to the world of the Adirondacks - that's where I grew up
              and
              > got my love of backpacking; though there may be higher mountains
              > elsewhere, the peaks there offer some true challenges. And it's
              > definitely a hammocker's paradise.

              I grew up in the Catskills, foot hills of the Adirondacks, but still
              vividly remember my Mt. Marcy summit, treks on Indian Head, Mt.
              Baker and other forgoten peaks and a week spent canoeing on the
              Saranac lake system.

              While I miss some of the scenery and trails (not the black flies), I
              just spent a weekend up in Jeffereson Park, an alpine meadow/plateu,
              at ~6000ft. on a section of the PCT, on the northern side of Mt.
              Jefferson in the Oregon Cascades.

              It was the most beautiful hiking weather I can EVER remember during
              a hike. I was testing out my DIY hammock system (4.3oz hammock,
              5.7oz bug netting and 12oz tarp, plus lines). Also testing my DIY
              underquilt and recently completed Kennebec pull-over from Ayce at
              thru-hiker.com.

              I'll post pics as soon as I get them off the cameras and on the
              web.

              <Shameless BGT plug>
              What a great weekend to be testing gear for BGT
              (http://www.backpackgeartest.org).
              </Shameless BGT plug)

              Shane "Mirage"...
            • SF Nazdarovye
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 2, 2004
                I'll look forward to seeing the pics - and would love to hear more
                about your super-light hammock setup. Have you described the materials
                and construction earlier here, or posted them anywhere?

                - Steve

                (Like your shameless plug as well - I know we all would love more
                testers!)

                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 2, 2004
                  <nazdarovye@y...> wrote:
                  > I'll look forward to seeing the pics - and would love to hear more
                  > about your super-light hammock setup. Have you described the
                  materials
                  > and construction earlier here, or posted them anywhere?
                  >
                  > - Steve

                  Steve,

                  No, I've not yet posted pics or construction details, not for lack
                  of intent.

                  I've been so busy designing and constructing that my efforts to
                  document online have fallen behind. I desperately need to
                  reorganize my website and make more useful and descriptive.

                  The hammock is 1.1oz nylon, folded ends, whipped with the hang lines
                  (3/8" poly line), 10' poly pro webbing "tree huggers", and home made
                  snake skins. The hammock rough dimensions are 8'x4', although I
                  believe I will add another 6" to the length in my next interation.

                  The bug netting is hard top describe, but will hopefully be clear
                  from the pictures (when I post them). It wraps around the outside
                  of the underquilt/peapod, but does not completely enclose it (like I
                  said, hard to describe).

                  You've seen my cat tarps before, nothing new there.

                  Suprisingly, the ranger on duty this weekend had never seen anyone
                  use a hammock for over night sleeping!! She was very impressed with
                  the concept and how light it and compact it was.

                  Shane "mirage"...