Trip Report

  • Risk
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1 9:43 AM
      Fellow Hammockers may enjoy the caption under the first picture on my
      current homepage...

      http://www.imrisk.com/

      The Adirondacks are a hammock camper's paradise. There are lots of
      places to legally hammock (150 feet from trail and water - and below
      3500 feet) and it is SO hard to find nice tent camping spots except
      for the official camping spots.

      My most recent hike is detailed here:

      http://www.imrisk.com/adirondacks/adirondacks.htm

      Risk
    • Bill Fornshell
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 1 10:19 AM
        Nice pictures but does the Kilt turn into a Hammock?
        The trees look like Birch. I haven't seen any of them
        (for real) in to long a time. Bill in Texas

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 1 10:54 AM
          Bill Fornshell wrote:

          >Nice pictures but does the Kilt turn into a Hammock?
          >The trees look like Birch. I haven't seen any of them
          >(for real) in to long a time. Bill in Texas
          >
          >--- Risk <ra1@...> wrote:

          Nay, but we Manx sleep in our kilts on occasion. On this night I did,
          inside the nicely bug proof double bottom ZHammock and with a Speer Frog
          Sac used as a quilt. Temperature got down to 55 and I was very
          comfortable.

          Risk
        • SF Nazdarovye
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 1 12:34 PM
            Rick - fun to read your report!

            Welcome to the world of the Adirondacks - that's where I grew up and
            got my love of backpacking; though there may be higher mountains
            elsewhere, the peaks there offer some true challenges. And it's
            definitely a hammocker's paradise.

            You going to go back and tackle some more?

            - Steve

            PS - here are some pictures from a trek up three of the bushwhacking
            peaks back in December; portions of this were through steep, steep
            spruce thickets and krummholz - not as extended a scramble as the Dix
            slide you were on, but still quite a battle!

            http://www.brilliantmedia.com/bp/san/

            And here's my hammock on the shore of Long Lake along the
            Northville-Lake Placid trail - well worth doing if you ever get the
            time:

            http://www.brilliantmedia.com/bp/HennessyHammockOnShore.jpg

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 1 12:49 PM
              SF Nazdarovye wrote:

              >Rick - fun to read your report!
              >
              >Welcome to the world of the Adirondacks - that's where I grew up and
              >got my love of backpacking; though there may be higher mountains
              >elsewhere, the peaks there offer some true challenges. And it's
              >definitely a hammocker's paradise.
              >
              >You going to go back and tackle some more?
              >
              >- Steve
              >
              >PS - here are some pictures from a trek up three of the bushwhacking
              >peaks back in December; portions of this were through steep, steep
              >spruce thickets and krummholz - not as extended a scramble as the Dix
              >slide you were on, but still quite a battle!
              >
              >http://www.brilliantmedia.com/bp/san/
              >
              >And here's my hammock on the shore of Long Lake along the
              >Northville-Lake Placid trail - well worth doing if you ever get the
              >time:
              >
              >http://www.brilliantmedia.com/bp/HennessyHammockOnShore.jpg

              Well, I learned a bit about the Adirondacks on this trip, and a bit
              about me. I am used to seeing descriptions of trails as "very
              difficult" and take all that with a grain of salt... However, I will be
              more cautious of that rating in the High Peaks guidebook in the future.
              Maybe a routes with less elevation gain per mile would be my next trip.

              My son dearly loves going to camp at Word of Life Island in Schroon and
              is already talking about going back next summer. I am sure that this
              will not be my last trip to the 'dacks.

              Risk
            • Coy
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 1 9:35 PM
                Looks like some kinda new fangled yoga to me. I'm with you on the
                grade and trail difficulty. Personally Id rather hike a slight
                uphill grade than any downhill. Knees like it a lot better. but
                steep +slick + rock and mud makes for a long day.

                Coy Boy

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Risk" <ra1@i...> wrote:
                > Fellow Hammockers may enjoy the caption under the first picture on
                my
                > current homepage...
                >
                > http://www.imrisk.com/
                >
                > The Adirondacks are a hammock camper's paradise. There are lots of
                > places to legally hammock (150 feet from trail and water - and below
                > 3500 feet) and it is SO hard to find nice tent camping spots except
                > for the official camping spots.
                >
                > My most recent hike is detailed here:
                >
                > http://www.imrisk.com/adirondacks/adirondacks.htm
                >
                > Risk
              • Mirage
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 2 3:56 PM
                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, SF Nazdarovye
                  <nazdarovye@y...> wrote:
                  > Rick - fun to read your report!
                  >
                  > Welcome to the world of the Adirondacks - that's where I grew up
                  and
                  > got my love of backpacking; though there may be higher mountains
                  > elsewhere, the peaks there offer some true challenges. And it's
                  > definitely a hammocker's paradise.

                  I grew up in the Catskills, foot hills of the Adirondacks, but still
                  vividly remember my Mt. Marcy summit, treks on Indian Head, Mt.
                  Baker and other forgoten peaks and a week spent canoeing on the
                  Saranac lake system.

                  While I miss some of the scenery and trails (not the black flies), I
                  just spent a weekend up in Jeffereson Park, an alpine meadow/plateu,
                  at ~6000ft. on a section of the PCT, on the northern side of Mt.
                  Jefferson in the Oregon Cascades.

                  It was the most beautiful hiking weather I can EVER remember during
                  a hike. I was testing out my DIY hammock system (4.3oz hammock,
                  5.7oz bug netting and 12oz tarp, plus lines). Also testing my DIY
                  underquilt and recently completed Kennebec pull-over from Ayce at
                  thru-hiker.com.

                  I'll post pics as soon as I get them off the cameras and on the
                  web.

                  <Shameless BGT plug>
                  What a great weekend to be testing gear for BGT
                  (http://www.backpackgeartest.org).
                  </Shameless BGT plug)

                  Shane "Mirage"...
                • SF Nazdarovye
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 2 4:04 PM
                    I'll look forward to seeing the pics - and would love to hear more
                    about your super-light hammock setup. Have you described the materials
                    and construction earlier here, or posted them anywhere?

                    - Steve

                    (Like your shameless plug as well - I know we all would love more
                    testers!)

                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 2 4:21 PM
                      <nazdarovye@y...> wrote:
                      > I'll look forward to seeing the pics - and would love to hear more
                      > about your super-light hammock setup. Have you described the
                      materials
                      > and construction earlier here, or posted them anywhere?
                      >
                      > - Steve

                      Steve,

                      No, I've not yet posted pics or construction details, not for lack
                      of intent.

                      I've been so busy designing and constructing that my efforts to
                      document online have fallen behind. I desperately need to
                      reorganize my website and make more useful and descriptive.

                      The hammock is 1.1oz nylon, folded ends, whipped with the hang lines
                      (3/8" poly line), 10' poly pro webbing "tree huggers", and home made
                      snake skins. The hammock rough dimensions are 8'x4', although I
                      believe I will add another 6" to the length in my next interation.

                      The bug netting is hard top describe, but will hopefully be clear
                      from the pictures (when I post them). It wraps around the outside
                      of the underquilt/peapod, but does not completely enclose it (like I
                      said, hard to describe).

                      You've seen my cat tarps before, nothing new there.

                      Suprisingly, the ranger on duty this weekend had never seen anyone
                      use a hammock for over night sleeping!! She was very impressed with
                      the concept and how light it and compact it was.

                      Shane "mirage"...