Re: Hennessey

  • Lenny Nichols
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 1 8:59 AM

      > I failed to find a picture.  Did I miss it?  Bill
      >
      > --- Douglas Kitchen <DKitchen@...> wrote:

      Scroll down the page. It appears to be a page for something else, but it's there.

      Lenny Nichols
    • Bill Fornshell
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 1 10:25 PM
        Thanks Lenny, I still didn't find the picture(s)
        except one of something hanging in a place like a
        workshop. It is OK as I have never understood the HH
        idea anyway.

        My Hammock of choice is one Ed made for me out of
        silk. It is very well made, has a simple clean
        design, it is easy to hang, it is lighter than the HH
        and it is made in the good old USA. Bill in
        Texas

        --- Lenny Nichols <lnichols@...> wrote:

        I failed to find a picture. Did I miss it? Bill

        Scroll down the page. It appears to be a page for
        something else, but it's there.

        Lenny Nichols

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • Ray Garlington
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 2 8:28 AM
          > I still didn't find the picture(s)
          > except one of something hanging in a place like a
          > workshop.

          Bill,

          Here is a picture of a prototype on whiteblaze:

          http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/watermark.php?
          file=577/5newhennesystuff.JPG

          The production version is really two shells: a bottom one sold with
          an open cell pad and top shell sold separately.

          By the way, do you go by the name gardenville on the lightweight
          backpacker? If so I liked your recent description of your silk
          hammock and your preferred source for silk material. I haven't seen
          that post here, so perhaps there another silk hammocker out there.
        • Bill Fornshell
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 2 11:49 AM
            Hi Ray, Thanks for the link to the new HH prototype.
            It is interesting. I am taking a different approach
            to staying warm in my hammock. It is interesting how
            everything on the market today looks alike. Maybe
            looks so conventional is a better way to say it.

            My concept tackles the classic old problem of staying
            warm in a Hammock in what I think is a brand new way.
            Really, it's an exercise in kind of stepping back and
            looking at ways to fundamentally rethink the goal.
            Hanging (hammock type thing) in something that will
            also keep you warm and comfortable down to (??) some
            preselected temperature. Have the ability to add or
            remove simple components for the temperature range you
            expect. Be very light and not cost to much to make
            yourself or buy. Sounds simple enough.

            I am looking at ways to use different materials in a
            new way.

            And YES, gardenville is a trail name with an
            interesting story connected to the first Ultra-light
            pack I made. I have talked a lot about about how
            happy I am with how the silk hammock has worked for me
            ever since Ed made it for me last summer. I am sure I
            have posted the Thai Silks web site here. This group
            gets so many messages old messages get hard to find
            fast.

            http://www.thaisilks.com

            Silk is really nice next to your skin.
            Bill in Texas (gardenville)

            --- Ray Garlington <rgarling@...> wrote:
            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Bill
            > Fornshell
            > > I still didn't find the picture(s)
            > > except one of something hanging in a place like a
            > > workshop.
            >
            > Bill,
            >
            > Here is a picture of a prototype on whiteblaze:

            http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=577/5newhennesystuff.JPG

            > The production version is really two shells: a
            > bottom one sold with
            > an open cell pad and top shell sold separately.
            >
            > By the way, do you go by the name gardenville on the
            > lightweight
            > backpacker? If so I liked your recent description
            > of your silk
            > hammock and your preferred source for silk material.
            > I haven't seen
            > that post here, so perhaps there another silk
            > hammocker out there.

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Paul Kaercher
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 2 6:54 PM
              Bill
              I've read how pleased you are with your silk hammock.
              I briefely checked out the thaisilks website and am daunted by
              the choices. There doesn't seem to be a listing of what the
              different silk fabrics weigh.
              Which silk fabric did you use and with hindsight would you use
              that fabric again? Thanks.

              Paul
            • Bill Fornshell
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 2 8:29 PM
                Hi Paul, The silk you are looking for is called
                Habotai - China Silk. For the body of the hammock I
                used item 26L, 8mm which is 1.02oz per square yard,
                54" wide, it is $4.65 a yard. The bug net was silk
                gauze item 24N, 3.5mm which is .45oz, 36" wide, it is
                $1.75 a yard. I weigh 168 pounds and I am 6' tall.
                If you weigh much more than I do you might want a
                heavier silk for the body of the hammock. You can get
                the silk in 10mm which is 1.28oz per square yard. The
                next heaver is 15.5mm which is 1.98oz per square yard.
                You determine square yard weight of silk by what
                the (mm) is listed as.

                If I was making a new silk hammock I would use the
                same silk. I have been painting on silk, dyed my own
                silk for things I was making and have used this kind
                of silk for about 10 years. The only thing I would do
                different is use less Velcro. I hate Velcro. I have
                been using a hammock for almost 40 years. My first
                hammocks (years ago) were made of silk and the bug net
                was draped over a ridge line and fell around the
                hammock. Small rocks were tied on the bug net and
                this worked great. People have been doing it that way
                for years. Think about what 17' of Velcro weighs.

                If you need more information let me know.
                Bill in Texas

                -- Paul Kaercher <yomas_1@...> wrote:

                > Bill
                > I've read how pleased you are with your silk
                > hammock.
                > I briefely checked out the thaisilks website and am
                > daunted by
                > the choices. There doesn't seem to be a listing of
                > what the
                > different silk fabrics weigh.
                > Which silk fabric did you use and with hindsight
                > would you use
                > that fabric again? Thanks.
                >
                > Paul

                http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo
              • Paul Kaercher
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 3 6:55 PM
                  Bill
                  Much obliged for the detailed and timely information.
                  It seems like 8mm silk will work for my 166 lb. carcass.

                  Do you find the silk gauze to be noseeum proof?
                  I intend to treat the gauze with permethrin so even if the gauze is
                  not midge proof they probably would not survive crawling through
                  the netting.
                  BTW- I add some liquid woolite to the 0.5% permethrin solution.
                  This reduces the surface tension of the liquid resulting in the
                  netting being thoroughly wetted and retaining more liquid during
                  the drying process. This presumably will result in the netting
                  having more permethrin attached to it when dry.

                  Paul
                • Bill Fornshell
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 3 9:25 PM
                    Are you going to make a Speer type Hammock? If you
                    sew anywhere in the body of the hammock it acts like
                    the perforation between stamps and will tear along the
                    stitch line. If you just knot the ends you should
                    have no problems. You can sew the Velcro on the edge
                    of the hammock for the bug net.

                    The silk gauze works well for the bug net. I think
                    the silk is a finer mesh than the noseeum stuff. You
                    can call Thai Silks and ask for a sample of the gauze.
                    They are real nice about that and they have a 1-800
                    number. I am sure at your weight the 8mm will work
                    fine. I am still careful how I get in an out of my
                    hammock. Some of that is out of respect for the
                    Hammock maker (Hi Ed).

                    I will try the Woolite idea.
                    Bill

                    http://messenger.yahoo.com