Re: [Hammock Camping] Hennessey

  • Bill Fornshell
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 31, 2004
      I failed to find a picture. Did I miss it? Bill

      --- Douglas Kitchen <DKitchen@...> wrote:

      > http://www.hennessyhammock.com/new-products.htm
      >

      > They have finally come out with thier 4 season
      > system, anyone try it yet?

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • Dick Matthews
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 31, 2004
        Ordered yesterday.  The site mentioned a 3 to 6 week delay in shipping.

        I am excited anyhow.

        Dick Matthews

        Douglas Kitchen wrote:

        http://www.hennessyhammock.com/new-products.htm  They have finally come out with thier 4 season system, anyone try it yet?

      • Lenny Nichols
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 1, 2004

          > I failed to find a picture.  Did I miss it?  Bill
          >
          > --- Douglas Kitchen <DKitchen@...> wrote:

          Scroll down the page. It appears to be a page for something else, but it's there.

          Lenny Nichols
        • Bill Fornshell
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 1, 2004
            Thanks Lenny, I still didn't find the picture(s)
            except one of something hanging in a place like a
            workshop. It is OK as I have never understood the HH
            idea anyway.

            My Hammock of choice is one Ed made for me out of
            silk. It is very well made, has a simple clean
            design, it is easy to hang, it is lighter than the HH
            and it is made in the good old USA. Bill in
            Texas

            --- Lenny Nichols <lnichols@...> wrote:

            I failed to find a picture. Did I miss it? Bill

            Scroll down the page. It appears to be a page for
            something else, but it's there.

            Lenny Nichols

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
          • Ray Garlington
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 2, 2004
              > I still didn't find the picture(s)
              > except one of something hanging in a place like a
              > workshop.

              Bill,

              Here is a picture of a prototype on whiteblaze:

              http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/watermark.php?
              file=577/5newhennesystuff.JPG

              The production version is really two shells: a bottom one sold with
              an open cell pad and top shell sold separately.

              By the way, do you go by the name gardenville on the lightweight
              backpacker? If so I liked your recent description of your silk
              hammock and your preferred source for silk material. I haven't seen
              that post here, so perhaps there another silk hammocker out there.
            • Bill Fornshell
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 2, 2004
                Hi Ray, Thanks for the link to the new HH prototype.
                It is interesting. I am taking a different approach
                to staying warm in my hammock. It is interesting how
                everything on the market today looks alike. Maybe
                looks so conventional is a better way to say it.

                My concept tackles the classic old problem of staying
                warm in a Hammock in what I think is a brand new way.
                Really, it's an exercise in kind of stepping back and
                looking at ways to fundamentally rethink the goal.
                Hanging (hammock type thing) in something that will
                also keep you warm and comfortable down to (??) some
                preselected temperature. Have the ability to add or
                remove simple components for the temperature range you
                expect. Be very light and not cost to much to make
                yourself or buy. Sounds simple enough.

                I am looking at ways to use different materials in a
                new way.

                And YES, gardenville is a trail name with an
                interesting story connected to the first Ultra-light
                pack I made. I have talked a lot about about how
                happy I am with how the silk hammock has worked for me
                ever since Ed made it for me last summer. I am sure I
                have posted the Thai Silks web site here. This group
                gets so many messages old messages get hard to find
                fast.

                http://www.thaisilks.com

                Silk is really nice next to your skin.
                Bill in Texas (gardenville)

                --- Ray Garlington <rgarling@...> wrote:
                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Bill
                > Fornshell
                > > I still didn't find the picture(s)
                > > except one of something hanging in a place like a
                > > workshop.
                >
                > Bill,
                >
                > Here is a picture of a prototype on whiteblaze:

                http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=577/5newhennesystuff.JPG

                > The production version is really two shells: a
                > bottom one sold with
                > an open cell pad and top shell sold separately.
                >
                > By the way, do you go by the name gardenville on the
                > lightweight
                > backpacker? If so I liked your recent description
                > of your silk
                > hammock and your preferred source for silk material.
                > I haven't seen
                > that post here, so perhaps there another silk
                > hammocker out there.

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Paul Kaercher
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 2, 2004
                  Bill
                  I've read how pleased you are with your silk hammock.
                  I briefely checked out the thaisilks website and am daunted by
                  the choices. There doesn't seem to be a listing of what the
                  different silk fabrics weigh.
                  Which silk fabric did you use and with hindsight would you use
                  that fabric again? Thanks.

                  Paul
                • Bill Fornshell
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 2, 2004
                    Hi Paul, The silk you are looking for is called
                    Habotai - China Silk. For the body of the hammock I
                    used item 26L, 8mm which is 1.02oz per square yard,
                    54" wide, it is $4.65 a yard. The bug net was silk
                    gauze item 24N, 3.5mm which is .45oz, 36" wide, it is
                    $1.75 a yard. I weigh 168 pounds and I am 6' tall.
                    If you weigh much more than I do you might want a
                    heavier silk for the body of the hammock. You can get
                    the silk in 10mm which is 1.28oz per square yard. The
                    next heaver is 15.5mm which is 1.98oz per square yard.
                    You determine square yard weight of silk by what
                    the (mm) is listed as.

                    If I was making a new silk hammock I would use the
                    same silk. I have been painting on silk, dyed my own
                    silk for things I was making and have used this kind
                    of silk for about 10 years. The only thing I would do
                    different is use less Velcro. I hate Velcro. I have
                    been using a hammock for almost 40 years. My first
                    hammocks (years ago) were made of silk and the bug net
                    was draped over a ridge line and fell around the
                    hammock. Small rocks were tied on the bug net and
                    this worked great. People have been doing it that way
                    for years. Think about what 17' of Velcro weighs.

                    If you need more information let me know.
                    Bill in Texas

                    -- Paul Kaercher <yomas_1@...> wrote:

                    > Bill
                    > I've read how pleased you are with your silk
                    > hammock.
                    > I briefely checked out the thaisilks website and am
                    > daunted by
                    > the choices. There doesn't seem to be a listing of
                    > what the
                    > different silk fabrics weigh.
                    > Which silk fabric did you use and with hindsight
                    > would you use
                    > that fabric again? Thanks.
                    >
                    > Paul

                    http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo
                  • Paul Kaercher
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 3, 2004
                      Bill
                      Much obliged for the detailed and timely information.
                      It seems like 8mm silk will work for my 166 lb. carcass.

                      Do you find the silk gauze to be noseeum proof?
                      I intend to treat the gauze with permethrin so even if the gauze is
                      not midge proof they probably would not survive crawling through
                      the netting.
                      BTW- I add some liquid woolite to the 0.5% permethrin solution.
                      This reduces the surface tension of the liquid resulting in the
                      netting being thoroughly wetted and retaining more liquid during
                      the drying process. This presumably will result in the netting
                      having more permethrin attached to it when dry.

                      Paul
                    • Bill Fornshell
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 3, 2004
                        Are you going to make a Speer type Hammock? If you
                        sew anywhere in the body of the hammock it acts like
                        the perforation between stamps and will tear along the
                        stitch line. If you just knot the ends you should
                        have no problems. You can sew the Velcro on the edge
                        of the hammock for the bug net.

                        The silk gauze works well for the bug net. I think
                        the silk is a finer mesh than the noseeum stuff. You
                        can call Thai Silks and ask for a sample of the gauze.
                        They are real nice about that and they have a 1-800
                        number. I am sure at your weight the 8mm will work
                        fine. I am still careful how I get in an out of my
                        hammock. Some of that is out of respect for the
                        Hammock maker (Hi Ed).

                        I will try the Woolite idea.
                        Bill

                        http://messenger.yahoo.com