Hennessey

  • Douglas Kitchen
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 31, 2004

      They have finally come out with thier 4 season system, anyone try it yet?
    • Bill Fornshell
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 31, 2004
        I failed to find a picture. Did I miss it? Bill

        --- Douglas Kitchen <DKitchen@...> wrote:

        > http://www.hennessyhammock.com/new-products.htm
        >

        > They have finally come out with thier 4 season
        > system, anyone try it yet?

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • Dick Matthews
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 31, 2004
          Ordered yesterday.  The site mentioned a 3 to 6 week delay in shipping.

          I am excited anyhow.

          Dick Matthews

          Douglas Kitchen wrote:

          http://www.hennessyhammock.com/new-products.htm  They have finally come out with thier 4 season system, anyone try it yet?

        • Lenny Nichols
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 1, 2004

            > I failed to find a picture.  Did I miss it?  Bill
            >
            > --- Douglas Kitchen <DKitchen@...> wrote:

            Scroll down the page. It appears to be a page for something else, but it's there.

            Lenny Nichols
          • Bill Fornshell
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 1, 2004
              Thanks Lenny, I still didn't find the picture(s)
              except one of something hanging in a place like a
              workshop. It is OK as I have never understood the HH
              idea anyway.

              My Hammock of choice is one Ed made for me out of
              silk. It is very well made, has a simple clean
              design, it is easy to hang, it is lighter than the HH
              and it is made in the good old USA. Bill in
              Texas

              --- Lenny Nichols <lnichols@...> wrote:

              I failed to find a picture. Did I miss it? Bill

              Scroll down the page. It appears to be a page for
              something else, but it's there.

              Lenny Nichols

              http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
            • Ray Garlington
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 2, 2004
                > I still didn't find the picture(s)
                > except one of something hanging in a place like a
                > workshop.

                Bill,

                Here is a picture of a prototype on whiteblaze:

                http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/watermark.php?
                file=577/5newhennesystuff.JPG

                The production version is really two shells: a bottom one sold with
                an open cell pad and top shell sold separately.

                By the way, do you go by the name gardenville on the lightweight
                backpacker? If so I liked your recent description of your silk
                hammock and your preferred source for silk material. I haven't seen
                that post here, so perhaps there another silk hammocker out there.
              • Bill Fornshell
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 2, 2004
                  Hi Ray, Thanks for the link to the new HH prototype.
                  It is interesting. I am taking a different approach
                  to staying warm in my hammock. It is interesting how
                  everything on the market today looks alike. Maybe
                  looks so conventional is a better way to say it.

                  My concept tackles the classic old problem of staying
                  warm in a Hammock in what I think is a brand new way.
                  Really, it's an exercise in kind of stepping back and
                  looking at ways to fundamentally rethink the goal.
                  Hanging (hammock type thing) in something that will
                  also keep you warm and comfortable down to (??) some
                  preselected temperature. Have the ability to add or
                  remove simple components for the temperature range you
                  expect. Be very light and not cost to much to make
                  yourself or buy. Sounds simple enough.

                  I am looking at ways to use different materials in a
                  new way.

                  And YES, gardenville is a trail name with an
                  interesting story connected to the first Ultra-light
                  pack I made. I have talked a lot about about how
                  happy I am with how the silk hammock has worked for me
                  ever since Ed made it for me last summer. I am sure I
                  have posted the Thai Silks web site here. This group
                  gets so many messages old messages get hard to find
                  fast.

                  http://www.thaisilks.com

                  Silk is really nice next to your skin.
                  Bill in Texas (gardenville)

                  --- Ray Garlington <rgarling@...> wrote:
                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Bill
                  > Fornshell
                  > > I still didn't find the picture(s)
                  > > except one of something hanging in a place like a
                  > > workshop.
                  >
                  > Bill,
                  >
                  > Here is a picture of a prototype on whiteblaze:

                  http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=577/5newhennesystuff.JPG

                  > The production version is really two shells: a
                  > bottom one sold with
                  > an open cell pad and top shell sold separately.
                  >
                  > By the way, do you go by the name gardenville on the
                  > lightweight
                  > backpacker? If so I liked your recent description
                  > of your silk
                  > hammock and your preferred source for silk material.
                  > I haven't seen
                  > that post here, so perhaps there another silk
                  > hammocker out there.

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Paul Kaercher
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 2, 2004
                    Bill
                    I've read how pleased you are with your silk hammock.
                    I briefely checked out the thaisilks website and am daunted by
                    the choices. There doesn't seem to be a listing of what the
                    different silk fabrics weigh.
                    Which silk fabric did you use and with hindsight would you use
                    that fabric again? Thanks.

                    Paul
                  • Bill Fornshell
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 2, 2004
                      Hi Paul, The silk you are looking for is called
                      Habotai - China Silk. For the body of the hammock I
                      used item 26L, 8mm which is 1.02oz per square yard,
                      54" wide, it is $4.65 a yard. The bug net was silk
                      gauze item 24N, 3.5mm which is .45oz, 36" wide, it is
                      $1.75 a yard. I weigh 168 pounds and I am 6' tall.
                      If you weigh much more than I do you might want a
                      heavier silk for the body of the hammock. You can get
                      the silk in 10mm which is 1.28oz per square yard. The
                      next heaver is 15.5mm which is 1.98oz per square yard.
                      You determine square yard weight of silk by what
                      the (mm) is listed as.

                      If I was making a new silk hammock I would use the
                      same silk. I have been painting on silk, dyed my own
                      silk for things I was making and have used this kind
                      of silk for about 10 years. The only thing I would do
                      different is use less Velcro. I hate Velcro. I have
                      been using a hammock for almost 40 years. My first
                      hammocks (years ago) were made of silk and the bug net
                      was draped over a ridge line and fell around the
                      hammock. Small rocks were tied on the bug net and
                      this worked great. People have been doing it that way
                      for years. Think about what 17' of Velcro weighs.

                      If you need more information let me know.
                      Bill in Texas

                      -- Paul Kaercher <yomas_1@...> wrote:

                      > Bill
                      > I've read how pleased you are with your silk
                      > hammock.
                      > I briefely checked out the thaisilks website and am
                      > daunted by
                      > the choices. There doesn't seem to be a listing of
                      > what the
                      > different silk fabrics weigh.
                      > Which silk fabric did you use and with hindsight
                      > would you use
                      > that fabric again? Thanks.
                      >
                      > Paul

                      http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo
                    • Paul Kaercher
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 3, 2004
                        Bill
                        Much obliged for the detailed and timely information.
                        It seems like 8mm silk will work for my 166 lb. carcass.

                        Do you find the silk gauze to be noseeum proof?
                        I intend to treat the gauze with permethrin so even if the gauze is
                        not midge proof they probably would not survive crawling through
                        the netting.
                        BTW- I add some liquid woolite to the 0.5% permethrin solution.
                        This reduces the surface tension of the liquid resulting in the
                        netting being thoroughly wetted and retaining more liquid during
                        the drying process. This presumably will result in the netting
                        having more permethrin attached to it when dry.

                        Paul
                      • Bill Fornshell
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 3, 2004
                          Are you going to make a Speer type Hammock? If you
                          sew anywhere in the body of the hammock it acts like
                          the perforation between stamps and will tear along the
                          stitch line. If you just knot the ends you should
                          have no problems. You can sew the Velcro on the edge
                          of the hammock for the bug net.

                          The silk gauze works well for the bug net. I think
                          the silk is a finer mesh than the noseeum stuff. You
                          can call Thai Silks and ask for a sample of the gauze.
                          They are real nice about that and they have a 1-800
                          number. I am sure at your weight the 8mm will work
                          fine. I am still careful how I get in an out of my
                          hammock. Some of that is out of respect for the
                          Hammock maker (Hi Ed).

                          I will try the Woolite idea.
                          Bill

                          http://messenger.yahoo.com