Re: [Hammock Camping] off topic but I have a question

  • navjohn@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 28 2:41 PM

      In a message dated 7/28/04 4:32:34 PM, owllorddraco@... writes:

      I was wondering if it
      is possible to use a home faucet mounted water filter out camping
      wher there is only a stream or lake as a water source?

      Look closely at the label on the home water filter.  Chances are it is approved only to remove taste and odor from already potable water.  Here's what is says on my PUR Plus filter:  "Do not use with water that is microbiologically unsafe or of unknown quality without adequate disinfection before or after the system."  That "unknown quality" is what you'll encounter on the trail.
      Instead, look at rigging up a gravity flow system using a camping filter cartridge and some surgical tubing.  Hang a full water bucket in a tree, and let the water siphon through the filter.  See Ray Jardine's "Beyond Backpacking" for details of one such system.

      John Wilson