Re: More knots...

  • Matthew Takeda
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 26, 2004
      hogn8r2004 wrote:
      >...are posted in my pictures. I fixed the Bowline (thanks Mathew)

      Better.

      >and added the Sailor's Way (AKA Onehanded) Bowline

      There's still a faster way.

      Also, there's something wrong with your tautline (AKA the midshipman's
      hitch): it's backwards. The double wrap should be inside the loop and the
      final half hitch outside the loop. It's basically two half hitches with an
      extra turn, and is structurally identical to the rolling hitch, except that
      it's tied to it's own standing part instead of to another object or line.

      Matthew Takeda
      the JOAT
    • hogn8r2004
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 28, 2004
        > There's still a faster way.

        Those are the only two ways I know, but I would like to know the way
        you are thinking of. Maybe a link or something so I can see it.

        > Also, there's something wrong with your tautline (AKA the
        midshipman's hitch): it's backwards.

        Right you are again! It's amazing, I can tie that hitch in my sleep,
        but not when I take pictures of it, go figure. I have deleted the
        faulty instructions and will post the correct way soon.

        Is there anything else I screwed up? :)
      • Matthew Takeda
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 29, 2004
          hogn8r2004 wrote:
          > > There's still a faster way.
          >
          >Those are the only two ways I know, but I would like to know the way
          >you are thinking of. Maybe a link or something so I can see it.

          I haven't seen it anywhere on the www. I was taught a number of "instant"
          knots when I started sailing, including an instand clove hitch, an instant
          figure of eight, and this one. Minor variations of this particular
          technique make a bowline, double bowline (AKA mountaineering bowline, not
          the bowline on a bight), multiple loop bowline (AKA bowline on a coil,
          again, not on a bight), sheet bend, double sheet bend, and a weaver's knot.
          It's dead simple to demonstrate, but a bit difficult to explain. I'll try,
          but don't expect to get it without a demonstration. The following paragraph
          may be difficult to follow:

          Making the bowline relies on a principle used in one of the variations of
          the weaver's knot: if you insert the end of a line through the loop of a
          slippery overhand knot, then capsize the knot, the result is a weaver's
          knot. If you insert the end of a line going the other way through the loop,
          you get a sheet bend. If you do the same thing and the end you insert is
          the bitter end of the same line the slippery overhand knot is tied in, the
          result is a bowline. The overhand knot is tied in an unusual way: you lay
          the line across the palm of your non-dominant hand, from bottom to top,
          around the back, up the palm again, crossing over towards your thumb, and
          back down the back. Then, you tuck the bitter end down through the loop at
          the bottom of your hand, from the finger side towards the wrist. The loop
          of the slippery knot is the part going over the top of your hand, towards
          your fingers. Slip the bitter end through this loop, going from the thumb
          side towards the finger side, then slip the whole mess off of your hand and
          pull on the standing part to collapse the knot.

          It sounds complicated, but it only takes a second to do. Maybe I should
          take some pictures.

          > > Also, there's something wrong with your tautline (AKA the
          >midshipman's hitch): it's backwards.
          >
          >Right you are again! It's amazing, I can tie that hitch in my sleep,
          >but not when I take pictures of it, go figure. I have deleted the
          >faulty instructions and will post the correct way soon.

          Isn't that the way it always goes? You're perfect until someone is
          watching, then you do something dumb. One of life's little joys.

          >Is there anything else I screwed up? :)

          Not that I can see. You do know that there are already dozens of good knot
          sites on the www, don't you?

          Matthew Takeda
          the JOAT