Re: Former camper returning to the woods with questions

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 24, 2004
      Jon,

      I would hang the tarp in my back yard and take the hose pipe to it
      and see if it is waterproof. It may be okay as is for now, if it is
      not I would think about replacing it with something else instead of
      recoating. I would suspect that recoating is a nasty job and one
      that will add some weight. I might be better to just buy a cheap,
      heavy tarp to use until you are ready to make your lighter weight
      silnylon one. Silnylon has its drawbacks however, it is not
      waterproof to the same pressure as the urethane coated stuff and it
      does stretch.

      Lots of people backpack with contact lenses. With the large tarp
      that Ed Speer recommends, you can stand under the tarp with the wind
      blocked and use the hammock itself for a 'table'. It is easier if
      you can put your contacts in without a mirror. To clean my hands, I
      use a 2 oz travel-size alcohol based hand sanitizer (it is pretty
      much just 50% isopropyl alcohol). I then rinse each hand with a few
      ounces of water and then dry them with a clean bandana. I always
      carry rewetting drops and spare glasses.

      Youngblood
    • dlfrost_1
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 24, 2004
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "moneymakerjk1"
        <moneymakerjk1@y...> wrote:
        > If I wanted to reseal the tarp what would I use?
        > Urethane from Lowes? or from a hardware store? Most of the spray
        stuff
        > I have seen is silicone. Suggestions?

        Campmor.com such sell stuff to bolster warn urathane coatings.
        Kenyon sells K+Kote Recoat, for example. There are probably others.

        You might also consider using 3ml. plastic for forest camping. It's
        dirt cleap, it lets the light in, and it's easy to modify if you want.

        When protection from sun is needed, you can use Tyvek sheeting--a
        topic that has been covered here before. Go to Google and enter
        "tyvek tarp" for more info.

        Doug Frost