Former camper returning to the woods with questions

  • moneymakerjk1
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 23, 2004
      Hello all,
      after nearly 30 years (4 kids, two careers, and a lot of water under
      the proverbial bridge)...I am returning to hiking/camping. I have also
      discovered alot over the past few weeks about hammock camping and
      cannot wait to try out my newly created Speer hammock next weekend.
      Finished the hammock itself last night with the help of a coworker who
      sews (she has a sewing machine that cost 7000 dollars...lordy....but
      it sure looks purdy!!!! (the hammock that is).
      I have a couple questions for the group...
      1. I have a tarp (from an old tent I used to use) that's in pretty
      good condition but I am pretty sure it is NOT silicone sealed, and is
      most likely sealed with urethane. I have gathered that you cannot seal
      a urethane coated fabric with silicone, so aside from buying a new
      tarp (cannot do just yet due to money) or making my own (which I will
      do most likely...just not enuf time to get the material, learn to sew,
      etc, in a week)(my friend squeezed my project in between dresses she
      is making for her daughters wedding....so I dont want to ask her to do
      a tarp too at this point)...
      anyway, the question: If I wanted to reseal the tarp what would I use?
      Urethane from Lowes? or from a hardware store? Most of the spray stuff
      I have seen is silicone. Suggestions?
      2. The other question has to do with contact lenses...I used glasses
      way back when, but now exclusively use contacts...how do you who wear
      them camping/hiking handle them? (pardon the pun).
      Looking for contact lens tips/suggestions!

      thanks in advance.

      Hoping to test my new hammock tomorrow....cant wait.

      Jon
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 24, 2004
        Jon,

        I would hang the tarp in my back yard and take the hose pipe to it
        and see if it is waterproof. It may be okay as is for now, if it is
        not I would think about replacing it with something else instead of
        recoating. I would suspect that recoating is a nasty job and one
        that will add some weight. I might be better to just buy a cheap,
        heavy tarp to use until you are ready to make your lighter weight
        silnylon one. Silnylon has its drawbacks however, it is not
        waterproof to the same pressure as the urethane coated stuff and it
        does stretch.

        Lots of people backpack with contact lenses. With the large tarp
        that Ed Speer recommends, you can stand under the tarp with the wind
        blocked and use the hammock itself for a 'table'. It is easier if
        you can put your contacts in without a mirror. To clean my hands, I
        use a 2 oz travel-size alcohol based hand sanitizer (it is pretty
        much just 50% isopropyl alcohol). I then rinse each hand with a few
        ounces of water and then dry them with a clean bandana. I always
        carry rewetting drops and spare glasses.

        Youngblood
      • dlfrost_1
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 24, 2004
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "moneymakerjk1"
          <moneymakerjk1@y...> wrote:
          > If I wanted to reseal the tarp what would I use?
          > Urethane from Lowes? or from a hardware store? Most of the spray
          stuff
          > I have seen is silicone. Suggestions?

          Campmor.com such sell stuff to bolster warn urathane coatings.
          Kenyon sells K+Kote Recoat, for example. There are probably others.

          You might also consider using 3ml. plastic for forest camping. It's
          dirt cleap, it lets the light in, and it's easy to modify if you want.

          When protection from sun is needed, you can use Tyvek sheeting--a
          topic that has been covered here before. Go to Google and enter
          "tyvek tarp" for more info.

          Doug Frost