Re: [Hammock Camping] Sealing Nylon

  • dlfrost_1
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 23 9:09 AM
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, jonas4321@j... wrote:
      > That's primarily why I want to add more water barriers by
      waterproofing
      > my stuff sacks. I'll still use the plastic bag liners (I doubt I'll
      > forget that again any time soon), I just want another layer of
      > redundancy, for those moments when the unexpected happens
      (translation:
      > when I do the unexpected!).

      I agree with Youngblood that your problem is with technique rather
      than gear. You can minimize this sort of problem by making
      everything habitual, at least as much as circumstances allow. That
      way when you forget, autopilot saves ya.

      Sylnylon isn't so good for packing because water under pressure (like
      from contact with something wet) can slowly seep through. You might
      consider applying urathane coating and using a lighter weight garbage
      bag to compensate for the weight.

      Best solution: When I switched to an ultralight down bag I didn't
      want to worry about this, so I got an Outdoor Research "Advanced"
      stuffsack, which has a a roll-down top and is waterproof for anything
      save continuous immersion. The weight is less than the old garbage
      bag & compression-stuffsack combo (3.5oz. vrs. 8oz.). Unfortunately
      they don't make em large enough for synthetic bags, but you might
      have a look in the yakking section of an outdoor store and see how
      mich the lighter dry-bags weigh.

      Doug Frost