Re: [Hammock Camping] Sealing Nylon

  • jonas4321@juno.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 23, 2004
      Youngblood,

      I agree. I always (er, um, well, ALMOST always, it seems) pack not just
      my sleeping bag inside plastic liners, I pack everything (clothes, etc.)
      in plastic, even if I am "camping" in a hotel (force of habit from all
      the "setting a good example" when camping with Scouts). I keep plastic
      grocery bags in all my suitcases, duffel bags, backpacks, etc. for that
      purpose. We use a fabric car-top carrier on the van, and I go to what
      some might call extremes to keep things dry in it. Until the sleeping bag
      incident, I had been 100% dry.

      That's primarily why I want to add more water barriers by waterproofing
      my stuff sacks. I'll still use the plastic bag liners (I doubt I'll
      forget that again any time soon), I just want another layer of
      redundancy, for those moments when the unexpected happens (translation:
      when I do the unexpected!).

      Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
    • dlfrost_1
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 23, 2004
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, jonas4321@j... wrote:
        > That's primarily why I want to add more water barriers by
        waterproofing
        > my stuff sacks. I'll still use the plastic bag liners (I doubt I'll
        > forget that again any time soon), I just want another layer of
        > redundancy, for those moments when the unexpected happens
        (translation:
        > when I do the unexpected!).

        I agree with Youngblood that your problem is with technique rather
        than gear. You can minimize this sort of problem by making
        everything habitual, at least as much as circumstances allow. That
        way when you forget, autopilot saves ya.

        Sylnylon isn't so good for packing because water under pressure (like
        from contact with something wet) can slowly seep through. You might
        consider applying urathane coating and using a lighter weight garbage
        bag to compensate for the weight.

        Best solution: When I switched to an ultralight down bag I didn't
        want to worry about this, so I got an Outdoor Research "Advanced"
        stuffsack, which has a a roll-down top and is waterproof for anything
        save continuous immersion. The weight is less than the old garbage
        bag & compression-stuffsack combo (3.5oz. vrs. 8oz.). Unfortunately
        they don't make em large enough for synthetic bags, but you might
        have a look in the yakking section of an outdoor store and see how
        mich the lighter dry-bags weigh.

        Doug Frost