Re: [Hammock Camping] Sealing Nylon

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 23, 2004
      Jonas, I think lining your sleeping bag's stuff sack with a plastic
      garbage bag is the best way to keep it dry... but like you pointed
      out, the sleeping bag has to actually be inside the plastic garbage
      bag. I won't worry so much about sealing the stuff sack, just be
      more careful when you stuff it.

      Youngblood

    • jonas4321@juno.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 23, 2004
        Youngblood,

        I agree. I always (er, um, well, ALMOST always, it seems) pack not just
        my sleeping bag inside plastic liners, I pack everything (clothes, etc.)
        in plastic, even if I am "camping" in a hotel (force of habit from all
        the "setting a good example" when camping with Scouts). I keep plastic
        grocery bags in all my suitcases, duffel bags, backpacks, etc. for that
        purpose. We use a fabric car-top carrier on the van, and I go to what
        some might call extremes to keep things dry in it. Until the sleeping bag
        incident, I had been 100% dry.

        That's primarily why I want to add more water barriers by waterproofing
        my stuff sacks. I'll still use the plastic bag liners (I doubt I'll
        forget that again any time soon), I just want another layer of
        redundancy, for those moments when the unexpected happens (translation:
        when I do the unexpected!).

        Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
      • dlfrost_1
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 23, 2004
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, jonas4321@j... wrote:
          > That's primarily why I want to add more water barriers by
          waterproofing
          > my stuff sacks. I'll still use the plastic bag liners (I doubt I'll
          > forget that again any time soon), I just want another layer of
          > redundancy, for those moments when the unexpected happens
          (translation:
          > when I do the unexpected!).

          I agree with Youngblood that your problem is with technique rather
          than gear. You can minimize this sort of problem by making
          everything habitual, at least as much as circumstances allow. That
          way when you forget, autopilot saves ya.

          Sylnylon isn't so good for packing because water under pressure (like
          from contact with something wet) can slowly seep through. You might
          consider applying urathane coating and using a lighter weight garbage
          bag to compensate for the weight.

          Best solution: When I switched to an ultralight down bag I didn't
          want to worry about this, so I got an Outdoor Research "Advanced"
          stuffsack, which has a a roll-down top and is waterproof for anything
          save continuous immersion. The weight is less than the old garbage
          bag & compression-stuffsack combo (3.5oz. vrs. 8oz.). Unfortunately
          they don't make em large enough for synthetic bags, but you might
          have a look in the yakking section of an outdoor store and see how
          mich the lighter dry-bags weigh.

          Doug Frost