Re: [Hammock Camping] Sealing Nylon

  • jonas4321@juno.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 23, 2004
      Well, the one stuff sack that I can afford to mess with (and toss if it
      doesn't work) isn't waterproofed at all, so it will make a good test.
      I'll mix some up this weekend and give it a rip. I'll post the results.

      I agree that silnylon is pretty inexpensive (Thru-Hiker seems to have a
      very inexpensive kit that will make several stuff sacks), it's just that
      the two stuff sacks I am referring to are *just* the right size for their
      use, I'd love to keep them and not make new ones if I can improve their
      "waterproofness". I use plastic bag liners in them now because they are
      not waterproof.

      This past April, when I pulled my sleeping bag from its stuff sack, I
      discovered (to my horror) that the plastic bag was wadded up at the
      bottom (I must have lost all concentration when packing my gear).
      Unfortunately, it was 45 degrees and pouring, and water had run down the
      sides of my pack, which had a rain cover on it, and had soaked my
      sleeping bag in this non-waterproof stuff sack. That night (in my
      hammock), I did discover that my EMS bag with synthetic insulation was
      actually quite warm even when very wet, which was interesting. And
      fortunate!

      On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 22:49:18 -0400 Rick <ra1@...> writes:
      > jonas4321@... wrote:
      >
      > >I read several posts about using a mixture of silicone sealant and
      > >Coleman fuel as a seam sealer when building tarps out of silnylon.
      > Has
      > >anyone tried using this mixture to waterproof an entire piece of
      > existing
      > >nylon equipment? I am thinking of a couple of perfect-size stuff
      > sacks
      > >that I have that need extra waterproofing. One of them is used a
      > fair
      > >amount, the other I could take a risk and experiment with. I was
      > thinking
      > >of creating the mixture then using a spray bottle (disposable,
      > obviously)
      > >to apply it to the nylon, but perhaps it's too thick to spray when
      > mixed
      > >properly (I have only read about it, not done it yet).
      > >
      > >Any thoughts? Thanks!

      > >_
      > >
      > I think it might work... but it not very expensive to buy
      > professionally
      > made silicone impregnated ripstop. If the stuff sacks are already
      > waterproofed with polyurethane coating, the silicone will just sluff
      >
      > off. It should only be tried on silicone treated fabric.
      >
      > Rick

      Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 23, 2004
        Jonas, I think lining your sleeping bag's stuff sack with a plastic
        garbage bag is the best way to keep it dry... but like you pointed
        out, the sleeping bag has to actually be inside the plastic garbage
        bag. I won't worry so much about sealing the stuff sack, just be
        more careful when you stuff it.

        Youngblood

      • jonas4321@juno.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 23, 2004
          Youngblood,

          I agree. I always (er, um, well, ALMOST always, it seems) pack not just
          my sleeping bag inside plastic liners, I pack everything (clothes, etc.)
          in plastic, even if I am "camping" in a hotel (force of habit from all
          the "setting a good example" when camping with Scouts). I keep plastic
          grocery bags in all my suitcases, duffel bags, backpacks, etc. for that
          purpose. We use a fabric car-top carrier on the van, and I go to what
          some might call extremes to keep things dry in it. Until the sleeping bag
          incident, I had been 100% dry.

          That's primarily why I want to add more water barriers by waterproofing
          my stuff sacks. I'll still use the plastic bag liners (I doubt I'll
          forget that again any time soon), I just want another layer of
          redundancy, for those moments when the unexpected happens (translation:
          when I do the unexpected!).

        • dlfrost_1
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 23, 2004
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, jonas4321@j... wrote:
            > That's primarily why I want to add more water barriers by
            waterproofing
            > my stuff sacks. I'll still use the plastic bag liners (I doubt I'll
            > forget that again any time soon), I just want another layer of
            > redundancy, for those moments when the unexpected happens
            (translation:
            > when I do the unexpected!).

            I agree with Youngblood that your problem is with technique rather
            than gear. You can minimize this sort of problem by making
            everything habitual, at least as much as circumstances allow. That
            way when you forget, autopilot saves ya.

            Sylnylon isn't so good for packing because water under pressure (like
            from contact with something wet) can slowly seep through. You might
            consider applying urathane coating and using a lighter weight garbage
            bag to compensate for the weight.

            Best solution: When I switched to an ultralight down bag I didn't
            want to worry about this, so I got an Outdoor Research "Advanced"
            stuffsack, which has a a roll-down top and is waterproof for anything
            save continuous immersion. The weight is less than the old garbage
            bag & compression-stuffsack combo (3.5oz. vrs. 8oz.). Unfortunately
            they don't make em large enough for synthetic bags, but you might
            have a look in the yakking section of an outdoor store and see how
            mich the lighter dry-bags weigh.

            Doug Frost