Re: Sealing Nylon

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 22, 2004
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "uluheman" <UluheMan@h...>
      wrote:
      > I've used a mixture of silicone sealant (clear) and mineral spirits
      > (NOT fuel!) for years to seal seams on tents, tarps, etc. I squirt
      > quarter cup or so of sealant into a jar (later to be disposed of),
      > add a bit of spirits, and then mix slowly with a stick. When it
      gets
      > pretty well blended, then I add more spirits and mix again.
      > Eventually, it gets to the consistency of Elmer's glue. I then
      paint
      > the mixture onto the seams with a narrow disposable brush, working
      it
      > in well. It takes a few hours to dry. It's best to apply onto a
      taut
      > surface, i.e., a tent or tarp that is set up as it will be used in
      > the field.
      >
      > Brandon in Honolulu

      I did the exact same thing, until I discovered that if I used an
      empty jelly jar, salsa jar, etc that had a good tight lid... then,
      instead of stirring, I could just shake the jar for a minute or so
      and get a good mixture.

      Youngblood
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 22, 2004
        jonas4321@... wrote:

        >I read several posts about using a mixture of silicone sealant and
        >Coleman fuel as a seam sealer when building tarps out of silnylon. Has
        >anyone tried using this mixture to waterproof an entire piece of existing
        >nylon equipment? I am thinking of a couple of perfect-size stuff sacks
        >that I have that need extra waterproofing. One of them is used a fair
        >amount, the other I could take a risk and experiment with. I was thinking
        >of creating the mixture then using a spray bottle (disposable, obviously)
        >to apply it to the nylon, but perhaps it's too thick to spray when mixed
        >properly (I have only read about it, not done it yet).
        >
        >Any thoughts? Thanks!

        >_

        I think it might work... but it not very expensive to buy professionally
        made silicone impregnated ripstop. If the stuff sacks are already
        waterproofed with polyurethane coating, the silicone will just sluff
        off. It should only be tried on silicone treated fabric.

        Rick
      • jonas4321@juno.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 23, 2004
          Well, the one stuff sack that I can afford to mess with (and toss if it
          doesn't work) isn't waterproofed at all, so it will make a good test.
          I'll mix some up this weekend and give it a rip. I'll post the results.

          I agree that silnylon is pretty inexpensive (Thru-Hiker seems to have a
          very inexpensive kit that will make several stuff sacks), it's just that
          the two stuff sacks I am referring to are *just* the right size for their
          use, I'd love to keep them and not make new ones if I can improve their
          "waterproofness". I use plastic bag liners in them now because they are
          not waterproof.

          This past April, when I pulled my sleeping bag from its stuff sack, I
          discovered (to my horror) that the plastic bag was wadded up at the
          bottom (I must have lost all concentration when packing my gear).
          Unfortunately, it was 45 degrees and pouring, and water had run down the
          sides of my pack, which had a rain cover on it, and had soaked my
          sleeping bag in this non-waterproof stuff sack. That night (in my
          hammock), I did discover that my EMS bag with synthetic insulation was
          actually quite warm even when very wet, which was interesting. And
          fortunate!

          On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 22:49:18 -0400 Rick <ra1@...> writes:
          > jonas4321@... wrote:
          >
          > >I read several posts about using a mixture of silicone sealant and
          > >Coleman fuel as a seam sealer when building tarps out of silnylon.
          > Has
          > >anyone tried using this mixture to waterproof an entire piece of
          > existing
          > >nylon equipment? I am thinking of a couple of perfect-size stuff
          > sacks
          > >that I have that need extra waterproofing. One of them is used a
          > fair
          > >amount, the other I could take a risk and experiment with. I was
          > thinking
          > >of creating the mixture then using a spray bottle (disposable,
          > obviously)
          > >to apply it to the nylon, but perhaps it's too thick to spray when
          > mixed
          > >properly (I have only read about it, not done it yet).
          > >
          > >Any thoughts? Thanks!

          > >_
          > >
          > I think it might work... but it not very expensive to buy
          > professionally
          > made silicone impregnated ripstop. If the stuff sacks are already
          > waterproofed with polyurethane coating, the silicone will just sluff
          >
          > off. It should only be tried on silicone treated fabric.
          >
          > Rick

          Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 23, 2004
            Jonas, I think lining your sleeping bag's stuff sack with a plastic
            garbage bag is the best way to keep it dry... but like you pointed
            out, the sleeping bag has to actually be inside the plastic garbage
            bag. I won't worry so much about sealing the stuff sack, just be
            more careful when you stuff it.

            Youngblood

          • jonas4321@juno.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 23, 2004
              Youngblood,

              I agree. I always (er, um, well, ALMOST always, it seems) pack not just
              my sleeping bag inside plastic liners, I pack everything (clothes, etc.)
              in plastic, even if I am "camping" in a hotel (force of habit from all
              the "setting a good example" when camping with Scouts). I keep plastic
              grocery bags in all my suitcases, duffel bags, backpacks, etc. for that
              purpose. We use a fabric car-top carrier on the van, and I go to what
              some might call extremes to keep things dry in it. Until the sleeping bag
              incident, I had been 100% dry.

              That's primarily why I want to add more water barriers by waterproofing
              my stuff sacks. I'll still use the plastic bag liners (I doubt I'll
              forget that again any time soon), I just want another layer of
              redundancy, for those moments when the unexpected happens (translation:
              when I do the unexpected!).

            • dlfrost_1
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 23, 2004
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, jonas4321@j... wrote:
                > That's primarily why I want to add more water barriers by
                waterproofing
                > my stuff sacks. I'll still use the plastic bag liners (I doubt I'll
                > forget that again any time soon), I just want another layer of
                > redundancy, for those moments when the unexpected happens
                (translation:
                > when I do the unexpected!).

                I agree with Youngblood that your problem is with technique rather
                than gear. You can minimize this sort of problem by making
                everything habitual, at least as much as circumstances allow. That
                way when you forget, autopilot saves ya.

                Sylnylon isn't so good for packing because water under pressure (like
                from contact with something wet) can slowly seep through. You might
                consider applying urathane coating and using a lighter weight garbage
                bag to compensate for the weight.

                Best solution: When I switched to an ultralight down bag I didn't
                want to worry about this, so I got an Outdoor Research "Advanced"
                stuffsack, which has a a roll-down top and is waterproof for anything
                save continuous immersion. The weight is less than the old garbage
                bag & compression-stuffsack combo (3.5oz. vrs. 8oz.). Unfortunately
                they don't make em large enough for synthetic bags, but you might
                have a look in the yakking section of an outdoor store and see how
                mich the lighter dry-bags weigh.

                Doug Frost