Sealing Nylon

  • jonas4321@juno.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 22, 2004
      I read several posts about using a mixture of silicone sealant and
      Coleman fuel as a seam sealer when building tarps out of silnylon. Has
      anyone tried using this mixture to waterproof an entire piece of existing
      nylon equipment? I am thinking of a couple of perfect-size stuff sacks
      that I have that need extra waterproofing. One of them is used a fair
      amount, the other I could take a risk and experiment with. I was thinking
      of creating the mixture then using a spray bottle (disposable, obviously)
      to apply it to the nylon, but perhaps it's too thick to spray when mixed
      properly (I have only read about it, not done it yet).

      Any thoughts? Thanks!

      Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
    • uluheman
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 22, 2004
        I've used a mixture of silicone sealant (clear) and mineral spirits
        (NOT fuel!) for years to seal seams on tents, tarps, etc. I squirt a
        quarter cup or so of sealant into a jar (later to be disposed of),
        add a bit of spirits, and then mix slowly with a stick. When it gets
        pretty well blended, then I add more spirits and mix again.
        Eventually, it gets to the consistency of Elmer's glue. I then paint
        the mixture onto the seams with a narrow disposable brush, working it
        in well. It takes a few hours to dry. It's best to apply onto a taut
        surface, i.e., a tent or tarp that is set up as it will be used in
        the field.

        Brandon in Honolulu

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 22, 2004
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "uluheman" <UluheMan@h...>
          wrote:
          > I've used a mixture of silicone sealant (clear) and mineral spirits
          > (NOT fuel!) for years to seal seams on tents, tarps, etc. I squirt
          > quarter cup or so of sealant into a jar (later to be disposed of),
          > add a bit of spirits, and then mix slowly with a stick. When it
          gets
          > pretty well blended, then I add more spirits and mix again.
          > Eventually, it gets to the consistency of Elmer's glue. I then
          paint
          > the mixture onto the seams with a narrow disposable brush, working
          it
          > in well. It takes a few hours to dry. It's best to apply onto a
          taut
          > surface, i.e., a tent or tarp that is set up as it will be used in
          > the field.
          >
          > Brandon in Honolulu

          I did the exact same thing, until I discovered that if I used an
          empty jelly jar, salsa jar, etc that had a good tight lid... then,
          instead of stirring, I could just shake the jar for a minute or so
          and get a good mixture.

          Youngblood
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 22, 2004
            jonas4321@... wrote:

            >I read several posts about using a mixture of silicone sealant and
            >Coleman fuel as a seam sealer when building tarps out of silnylon. Has
            >anyone tried using this mixture to waterproof an entire piece of existing
            >nylon equipment? I am thinking of a couple of perfect-size stuff sacks
            >that I have that need extra waterproofing. One of them is used a fair
            >amount, the other I could take a risk and experiment with. I was thinking
            >of creating the mixture then using a spray bottle (disposable, obviously)
            >to apply it to the nylon, but perhaps it's too thick to spray when mixed
            >properly (I have only read about it, not done it yet).
            >
            >Any thoughts? Thanks!

            >_

            I think it might work... but it not very expensive to buy professionally
            made silicone impregnated ripstop. If the stuff sacks are already
            waterproofed with polyurethane coating, the silicone will just sluff
            off. It should only be tried on silicone treated fabric.

            Rick
          • jonas4321@juno.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 23, 2004
              Well, the one stuff sack that I can afford to mess with (and toss if it
              doesn't work) isn't waterproofed at all, so it will make a good test.
              I'll mix some up this weekend and give it a rip. I'll post the results.

              I agree that silnylon is pretty inexpensive (Thru-Hiker seems to have a
              very inexpensive kit that will make several stuff sacks), it's just that
              the two stuff sacks I am referring to are *just* the right size for their
              use, I'd love to keep them and not make new ones if I can improve their
              "waterproofness". I use plastic bag liners in them now because they are
              not waterproof.

              This past April, when I pulled my sleeping bag from its stuff sack, I
              discovered (to my horror) that the plastic bag was wadded up at the
              bottom (I must have lost all concentration when packing my gear).
              Unfortunately, it was 45 degrees and pouring, and water had run down the
              sides of my pack, which had a rain cover on it, and had soaked my
              sleeping bag in this non-waterproof stuff sack. That night (in my
              hammock), I did discover that my EMS bag with synthetic insulation was
              actually quite warm even when very wet, which was interesting. And
              fortunate!

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 23, 2004
                Jonas, I think lining your sleeping bag's stuff sack with a plastic
                garbage bag is the best way to keep it dry... but like you pointed
                out, the sleeping bag has to actually be inside the plastic garbage
                bag. I won't worry so much about sealing the stuff sack, just be
                more careful when you stuff it.

                Youngblood

              • jonas4321@juno.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 23, 2004
                  Youngblood,

                  I agree. I always (er, um, well, ALMOST always, it seems) pack not just
                  my sleeping bag inside plastic liners, I pack everything (clothes, etc.)
                  in plastic, even if I am "camping" in a hotel (force of habit from all
                  the "setting a good example" when camping with Scouts). I keep plastic
                  grocery bags in all my suitcases, duffel bags, backpacks, etc. for that
                  purpose. We use a fabric car-top carrier on the van, and I go to what
                  some might call extremes to keep things dry in it. Until the sleeping bag
                  incident, I had been 100% dry.

                  That's primarily why I want to add more water barriers by waterproofing
                  my stuff sacks. I'll still use the plastic bag liners (I doubt I'll
                  forget that again any time soon), I just want another layer of
                  redundancy, for those moments when the unexpected happens (translation:
                  when I do the unexpected!).

                • dlfrost_1
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 23, 2004
                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, jonas4321@j... wrote:
                    > That's primarily why I want to add more water barriers by
                    waterproofing
                    > my stuff sacks. I'll still use the plastic bag liners (I doubt I'll
                    > forget that again any time soon), I just want another layer of
                    > redundancy, for those moments when the unexpected happens
                    (translation:
                    > when I do the unexpected!).

                    I agree with Youngblood that your problem is with technique rather
                    than gear. You can minimize this sort of problem by making
                    everything habitual, at least as much as circumstances allow. That
                    way when you forget, autopilot saves ya.

                    Sylnylon isn't so good for packing because water under pressure (like
                    from contact with something wet) can slowly seep through. You might
                    consider applying urathane coating and using a lighter weight garbage
                    bag to compensate for the weight.

                    Best solution: When I switched to an ultralight down bag I didn't
                    want to worry about this, so I got an Outdoor Research "Advanced"
                    stuffsack, which has a a roll-down top and is waterproof for anything
                    save continuous immersion. The weight is less than the old garbage
                    bag & compression-stuffsack combo (3.5oz. vrs. 8oz.). Unfortunately
                    they don't make em large enough for synthetic bags, but you might
                    have a look in the yakking section of an outdoor store and see how
                    mich the lighter dry-bags weigh.

                    Doug Frost