Re: [Hammock Camping] Double-Bottom or Not

  • Gregory Doggett
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 19, 2004
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "rambler4466"
      <rambler4466@h...> wrote:
      > At first this seemed like a good idea to me , the double bottom
      > providing an easy way to add the pad and keep it in place. But,
      why
      > add this extra weight to the hammock? Once inserted into the
      > hammock, my pad does not shift or slip around as I sleep. I've
      also
      > used a double pad system and the pads do not slip around. While
      the
      > double bottom adds convenience, it does not dramatically improve
      the
      > effectiveness of the pads. From Ed Speer's book, p.79-80, "It is
      > posssible to increase a hammock's warmth by adding....heavier
      > fabrics or insulation....it is better to add ...extra weight to
      the
      > sleeping bag and/or pad than to the hammock itself."

      Rambler,
      I came to the same conclusion. The 3-4 oz. of extra weight was'nt
      worth the extra convenience proponents talked about. But then I'm
      kind of somewhat a bit of an ultralight fanatic to the point that
      I.......pssssst.....[sometimes sleep on the G-R-O-U-N-D on a torso
      sized foam pad under a 5x8 Silponcho!!!]
      GD
    • robi
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 25, 2004
        Folks,

        I was about to make a hammock stand along the lines of risk's.

        but the missus said she would like one made out of bamboo instead. ya
        know, it's purdyer.

        so, i seem to remember somebody a long time ago talking about that ehre.

        Hit me with all ideas on a bamboo stand...

        And also, how do you convince your travelling partners that there is no
        need to fill the car up just because stuff can still fit in it and that
        includes the box on top...

        i hate packng fro family trips cos nobody listens to me that we do not
        need 1/2 of the stuff....

        robi