A couple additional questions from jonas about hammocks

  • ra1@imrisk.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 19, 2004
      A couple questions from jonas I did not previously answer:

      I noticed that (1) your hammocks are 4' wide, while Speer designs are
      always 5' wide, and (2) that your ends (whipped or overhand) do not seem
      to do the "raising of the edges" when bunching the material up before
      knotting like the Speer design advocates. Can you comment on your choices
      in these areas? I read the knotting vs. whipping discussions, this isn't
      about that.

      Again, I appreciate all of the advice and input you dole out, you are a
      great resource. If I am overstaying my welcome as an inquirer, just let
      me know. (You are not.) I am going to build two hammocks after I either get these
      answers (or not), I just want to do it as right as possible the first
      time. The wife is tired of all the $$ I spend on camping stuff.

      [Risk] No problem with the questions... I just overlooked them while answering
      some of the others.

      I tried 4 foot wide in an attempt to decrease the weight by 1/5. I discovered
      that I like not being quite so deep in the hammock, which is the practical
      result. So I now lie higher in the hammock , with edges much easier to look out
      of and get reduced weight at the same time. I suggest people try hammocks of
      both widths to choose their favorite.

      I have tried pulling the edges tighter and not. I find sitting in a hammock
      with the long edges not pulled tighter is a little more comfortable. There is
      less of a sensation of a cord under my legs. I find that once I am laying down
      in the hammock, I do not care much whether the edges are tight or relaxed. It
      does not matter to me. so I choose to not pull the edges.

      In addition, I find I am able to fold the end more compactly with the folding
      over method than with with accordian method. I became tired of trying to keep
      all those accordian folds neat and even.

      The bad news about dollars invested in hammocks is that once I built one
      hammock, I never have been able to stop. The good news is that I often can
      re-use the material from one hammock design to another. For the price of one
      pre-made hammock, I am able to do a lot of experiments. I believe Youngblood
      once said, "you can't make just one."