Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: hammock for the dog??...

  • 2swans2
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 18, 2004
      i have proof that you are correct. we tried acclimating our retriever to "his hammock"--the cheap one--and, just as you said, he bounded out the other side on the third try and tore a large hole in the netting. we found a very cheap irregular silnyon tarp (5X6 w/ rings, hooks,guy outs at ea/ corner) for his tarp, and an army c-cell pad cut to his size.also a ground cloth(tyvek). we did use a tie out next to us. he seemed pretty content on our first backpacking tryout near home(Palo Duro Canyon), but he got antsy whenever the creatures of the nite came near. this, plus worrying about him and coyotes keep us up most of the nite. thanks for your insights!! i'll think about the hole idea, if it can be easily refilled to return the ground to "normal" when we leave.
      BTW, we did not find our HH's to be AS comfy as all the reviewers seem to find them.DARN. we were the right height and were level, and tied securely using tom's figure eight knots.. any suggestions?? --is it just too soon to say it's not super comfy? we couldn't stay in the "sweet spot"--both of us kept gravitating to the center in ea of our respective hams-- center tree to tree position.and we were cold even in upper 60's on bottoms and shoulders.(no pad--just fleece blanket). also, the hammock seemed to cause cramps in legs--anybody had this problem? thanks for any help out there in hammock country! maybe we are destined to be tenters, but i hate to give up!
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 18, 2004
        A couple suggestions in line:

        2swans2 wrote:

        > BTW, we did not find our HH's to be AS comfy as all the reviewers seem
        > to find them.DARN.

        Hammock are not for everyone, but there may be a few things to try...
        Personally, I do not sleep as well in a hammock as I do in bed with my
        wife, but a LOT better than any other outdoor ground sleeping I have
        ever done.

        > we were the right height and were level, and tied securely using tom's
        > figure eight knots.. any suggestions?? --is it just too soon to say
        > it's not super comfy?

        Probably a little early, especially with the note you left below about
        no pad.

        > we couldn't stay in the "sweet spot"--both of us kept gravitating
        > to the center in ea of our respective hams-- center tree to tree
        > position.and we were cold even in upper 60's on bottoms and
        > shoulders.(no pad--just fleece blanket).

        I have never been comfortable to sleep in a hammock without a pad for
        any temperature below the mid 80s. And chilling gives me a miserable
        night's sleep. Use a pad. Certainly do not decide hammocks are
        uncomfortable without using a pad.

        > also, the hammock seemed to cause cramps in legs--anybody had this
        > problem?

        My leg cramps are usually due to the muscles in the back of my legs
        getting chilled. My pad does not reach past my hips, and sometimes I
        end up with not enough insulation between me and the hammock. This lets
        my calves get cold and I get cramps. Solution for me is to stick some
        padding between my legs and the hammock. That may be my rain gear or a
        bag of clothes. Of course, doing a lot of walking can sometimes
        irritate my legs into a cramp as well. BTW, the most likely time for me
        to have a cramp is when I just sit up and am putting on my footwear in
        the middle of the night.

        > thanks for any help out there in hammock country! maybe we are
        > destined to be tenters, but i hate to give up!

        Maybe you are, but I would venture that you have not tried it with the
        preferred gear (pad) enough to know. BTW, you said you were using a
        fleece blanket/bag. I would recommend a quilt - either a real quilt or
        a sleeping bag opened to the knees. For me, this often seems like too
        much cover at the beginning of the night, but at 3 AM, when I am feeling
        a bit chilly, it feels really nice.

        Rick
      • 2swans2
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 18, 2004
          encouraging, rick. thanks a lot. we'll try your suggestions.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 18, 2004
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "2swans2" <2swans2@c...> wrote:
            BTW, we did not find our HH's to be AS comfy as all the reviewers
            seem to find them.DARN. we were the right height and were level, and
            tied securely using tom's figure eight knots.. any suggestions?? --is
            it just too soon to say it's not super comfy? we couldn't stay in
            the "sweet spot"--both of us kept gravitating to the center in ea of
            our respective hams-- center tree to tree position.and we were cold
            even in upper 60's on bottoms and shoulders.(no pad--just fleece
            blanket). also, the hammock seemed to cause cramps in legs--anybody
            had this problem? thanks for any help out there in hammock country!
            maybe we are destined to be tenters, but i hate to give up!

            I found a couple of things that help me sleep more comfortable in my
            hammock. The first is to raise the foot end of the hammock six inches
            or so higher than the foot end and the second is to use a stuff sack,
            back pack, clothing, etc under my hamstring, in the area of the back
            of my knees.

            Raising the foot end allows me the rest more naturally in the sweet
            spot of the hammock without gravity trying to push me away from it.
            Using a stuff sack in the area of the back of my knees reduces the
            tendency of the hammock to stress the tendons and muscles around the
            back of my knees... regardless of what people claim, you don't lie
            totally flat and some folks can still get uncomfortable stress on the
            back of their knees.

            Youngblood
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 18, 2004
              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "2swans2" <2swans2@c...>
              wrote:
              > BTW, we did not find our HH's to be AS comfy as all the reviewers
              > seem to find them.DARN. we were the right height and were level,
              and
              > tied securely using tom's figure eight knots.. any suggestions?? --
              is
              > it just too soon to say it's not super comfy? we couldn't stay in
              > the "sweet spot"--both of us kept gravitating to the center in ea
              of
              > our respective hams-- center tree to tree position.and we were cold
              > even in upper 60's on bottoms and shoulders.(no pad--just fleece
              > blanket). also, the hammock seemed to cause cramps in legs--anybody
              > had this problem? thanks for any help out there in hammock country!
              > maybe we are destined to be tenters, but i hate to give up!

              > I found a couple of things that help me sleep more comfortable in
              my
              > hammock. The first is to raise the foot end of the hammock six
              inches
              > or so higher than the foot end and the second is to use a stuff
              sack,
              > back pack, clothing, etc under my hamstring, in the area of the
              back
              > of my knees.
              >
              > Raising the foot end allows me the rest more naturally in the sweet
              > spot of the hammock without gravity trying to push me away from
              it.
              > Using a stuff sack in the area of the back of my knees reduces the
              > tendency of the hammock to stress the tendons and muscles around
              the
              > back of my knees... regardless of what people claim, you don't lie
              > totally flat and some folks can still get uncomfortable stress on
              the
              > back of their knees.
              >
              > Youngblood

              Opps... I missed that up. What I meant to say was to raise the foot
              end 6 inches or so higher than the head end of the hammock.
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 18, 2004

                >>Youngblood wrote:
                >>

                >Opps... I missed that up. What I meant to say was to raise the foot
                >end 6 inches or so higher than the head end of the hammock.

                Sometimes I can not tell which end is up higher. Last night I was
                sleeping outside. I woke up at about 1 AM and realized my feet were
                cramped in the bottom of the hammock. I got up and put my head where my
                feet had been. It was very comfy the rest of the night.

                Risk