Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammocking Scouters

  • Tom Jarrell
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 16, 2004
      Jim,

      I got back two weeks ago from the Virginia scout camp at Powhatan.  I did the week long white water canoe/rafting.  I used a Hennessy Expedition and was the envy of the group of 28.  Twice I had to ground camp, but with Sgt Rocks advice I was ready, and though the ground was a poor substitute for sleeping in the air I managed.  (Note, bring along about a foot of thicker pad for the hips and you can make it through the night.)  Breaking camp each day was a snap and it fit inside the dry bag very easily.  I brought along a Kelty Noah 12 and used it twice.  With that much tarp over your head it was like being in a penthouse.

      I know that hammocks are on many boys wish lists for this Christmas.

      Next step is to make an outer cover for the winter and hang in the frost. :)

      Tom